Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foxtail and Morty

Update time!

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  18.0 KB
    John is finished, for now. I'm not touching the horns and bones until I've decided what colour to paint Morty. Beige bone with beige armour might not contrast enough.

Name:  Skin front.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  11.3 KBName:  Skin back.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  9.2 KB

Paul has had the pink parts of his flesh painted. I re-basecoated the other nurglings, what I had before wasn't going to work for what I'm trying to achieve.
    Paul's getting a dark blue underside to his trunk and a rusted up iron canister to lug around, as well as the usual red cowl.

Paints used:
    Rust - VMC Amaranth Red, Fiery Orange
    Pink skin - VMC Rose flesh, Light sea grey, Camo green
    error 404: signature not found

they look great, very nice blending, even more so for how small they must be

Wow congrats on this big project, I love Mortarion and I can't wait myself to paint it one day!
    So far John looks really cool and I'm curious about Paul. Paul is my favourite since it's a little me, a part the trunk obv! , and I really wanna see where you want them to go in terms of colours!
    For my future Mortarion I'd like to go to a HH look, so a corrupted and rotten old white and green scheme, that would need a bit of imagination for the whole robes they added though. I would focus a lot on the wings, trying to achieve some cool colours scheme similar to those fancy moth wings you see around to add some more to those beautiful and gigantic wings.
    I'd use a lot of textures, for both rust, slime and dust eventually... you know though, no money no Mortarion no fun, so I'll stick to your WIP and dream big xD

I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
    Life to the lees. All times I have enjoyed
    Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
    That loved me, and alone; on shore, and when
    Through scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
    Vext the dim sea. I am become a name;
    For always roaming with a hungry heart
    Much have I seen and known-cities of men
    And manners, climates, councils, governments,
    Myself not least, but honored of them all

Cheers gang. Kuma, I'm leaning towards the heresy era scheme for him, with bright red robes fading into black smoke at the bottom. Not sure at all about wings yet, could try and find some moth patterns to try and emulate. I'm aiming for BaM levels of grime on the armour though, whenever I get round to it.

I've made a bit more progress on Paul, but nothing really worth posting. I always find I need something on the side to distract myself in big projects like this, so I've started an old limited edition inquisitor model. It's a nice sculpt I've been wanting to do for a while, so it'll be nice to chip away little bits of it to distract myself from Morty.

I love prepping these metal models, it's quite cathartic to get the wire wool and wire brush out and shine them up. Anyway, a couple of pics to show the difference before and after going at it with a wire brush on the dremel. And some zenithal preshading.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  340.4 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  403.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_5115.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  394.7 KB

Back to Paul!

Oh that's a nice one, i have him too Lots of potential to practice your textures.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Going to try my hand at stippling a leather coat using Baileys and Sprokets guides.

Bit more done on Paul
    Name:  56D58533-6AFA-4202-A485-48602568EE59.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  14.8 KB

Tiny photo!

Nuffin to do wiv Cassar! Torn blue sky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's not Paul! He's just a very naughty boy!

Liking the diversity in skintones here, reckon that'll play a big part when all's said and done keeping a nice diverse cohesion.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

You probably saw it but a small moundline on his pointed finger wrist. The varnish trick meg teaches should fill it in . I’ve described it many times if you don’t know bout it - take some rad oat put a blob in a dish . Take a hairdryer to it for bout 5 seconds. It will become viscous like sparkle. Brush it on from top to bottom to fill in the mound line.
    nice job on those lil guys there foxy.

Already taken care of BaM! Cheers for the compliments guys.

Name:  1964CC41-ECC5-4F0A-BB29-DB6FCC8B1295.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  16.4 KB

The cloth’s done. Just the canister left to do on this guy now before he gets put aside John.

Anyone got any idea how to do nmm on a cylinder with rounded edges? At the minute my best idea is just to shine a really bright light over it and take a few photos for reference. Getting started this afternoon on it.

Paint list:
    VMC Charred Brown, Red, Vermillion
    Last edited by Foxtail; 10-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Painting something like a cylinder in NMM would indeed cause a few headaches... I'm just going to watch and see what you do so I might avoid that headache personally somewhere down the line
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Name:  IMG_5169.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  98.1 KB
    Wish me luck!

Blog Entries

Good luck!

Best take this box of tissues and this box of neurofen too. It's dangerous to go alone. I was going to give you the bottle of bourbon too but I could not conscientiously run the risk of handing over anything so potent without trying its ill effects first hand at great personal risk instead. You are welcome. I am a river to my people...

Cheers Torn. After 90 minutes I could definitely use that bourbon.

Name:  IMG_5175.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5176.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  27.4 KB
    Got the black blended up to French Mirage Blue. A nice place to break before finishing the metal.
    The blue-grey for this metal should tie into his trunk and contrast nicely with the forthcoming orange rust

Blog Entries

Looking pretty solid, this is pretty much the way I figured i'd end up approaching it so glad to see it worked out

Sorry, you mentioned Bourbon...What bourbon *hic*

Everything is looking good here to my amateur eyes Fox! I really am excited to see you tackle that Inquisitor in the coming days. Its going to look awesome when you're done I'm sure! As I work on my large mini, I can understand why you would want to have two projects going. There are times where you need a little break or some variety and I think you'll get that from that little, grim guy.

Blog Entries

What Kuribo said breaks are good but not necessarily *breaks* . O f course i'll support anyone willing to try!!!

Yeah foxy def can paint!!!

Blog Entries

You think Bam? XD I'm seeing some mad skillz on thes WIPs and loving it.

Awww, cheers guys. I’m getting all the feels.

My luck had to run out eventually, and it seems it has with this bloody canister.

Name:  82405129-DB19-420A-9F59-19341CAEA7E4.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  23.7 KB

Doesnt look metal at all, and it’s gotten a bit heavy with layers of paint. I think I should have worked out the blend better, perhaps the top should be brighter or perhaps gotten a horizon line in there.

Thankfully, it’s nurgle so I’m going to drown the thing in rust and slime.
    Last edited by Foxtail; 10-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.

looks great watcha talking about?
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive