Thread: Vallejo Matt Varnish problems

Default Vallejo Matt Varnish problems

Hi everyone, I have some issues with applying my Vallejo Matt varnish with my brush.

It oftens leaves tiny bubbles in the recesses, and despite going over the application with another brush, or blowing on the bubbles to make them dissapear, there are always some left as can be seen below

Name:  bubbles.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  48.6 KB

This is the original image :

Name:  IMG_4367.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  56.9 KB

Any tips on how to avoid this ? Do I need to thin the varnish somehow ?

thanks!

do you thin the varnish? if yes with water?
    Usually that's not a good idea, as a thinned wash is more prone to have bubbles.

You can also apply it slower, more carefully as not to form bubbles because of vigorous movement of the brush. Do it a bit more slowly, more relaxed.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    do you thin the varnish? if yes with water?
    Usually that's not a good idea, as a thinned wash is more prone to have bubbles.

You can also apply it slower, more carefully as not to form bubbles because of vigorous movement of the brush. Do it a bit more slowly, more relaxed.
    You can also use an older brush to 'stab' the varnish onto recesses and such.
    However, unless those recesses need their shine reduced, you don't really need to try and varnish in-between the deep folds of cloth like that.
    A lot of this is the result of trying to varnish everything, when really all you need to cover are surfaces with an edge, or that get handled a lot.

As quoted though, don't thin it, apply it slowly, and use an old brush to 'stab' any bubbles and pop them. A lot of these bubbles arise from too much thinning, and agitating the stuff too much on the miniatures.
    You can watch my videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/playlists
    And you can also support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Ghool

Thanks for the feedback. I did not thin the varnish, its straight from the bottle. Perhaps I put too much on the brush on the first place...

I'll try to do it slowly next time and pop more bubbles