Jake's (DroidWorkshop) WIPs

Thread: Jake's (DroidWorkshop) WIPs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jake's (DroidWorkshop) WIPs

Hi folks,

I thought I'd start one of these myself to try and keep me motivated.

Although I painted as a teenager, I stopped for a long time, and now in my thirties, I'm giving it another go. I had a quick dabble back in the hobby in 2013, but was about to move house so my attention was dragged away and it's basically taken me 4 years to give it get back on the bike.

Anyway, enough of an introduction, after catching a bit of "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" on TV, I thought I'd have a crack at a couple of Games Workshop Lord of the Rings models. Closest to hand was a box of Mordor Orcs that I thought I'd give a go:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 663
Size:  95.1 KB

Unfortunately I could only manage a couple of hours in the evening, and an hour this afternoon so I'm not that far along, but I've made a start. I'm aiming to paint more frequently even if in short bursts, and aiming just to try and develop my brush control, technique and generally improve.

Comments, criticisms and tips more than welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Jake

Welcome back to the hobby. Your brush control doesn't look too bad, so it is all a matter of finding time to paint and keep learning-- from your own efforts and from the forum members input.

Thanks for the welcome!

I've got to say finding the time to paint is one of the biggest challenges I've got. It's one of those things though that if you want to do it, you've got to make time.

Only had an hour spare today, some of which was taken up by needing to transfer a few more paints from citadel pots into dropper bottles. Made a little more progress on various bits.
Views: 577
Size:  1.09 MB

I'm not that happy with the highlights of the tan leather, I think I've been a bit heavy handed, but I'm chipping away at the guy. The bow I'm particularly not happy with, I don't know if it's just I've loaded on too much paint, or its a combination between that and there's not much detail to it either. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to finish that part off.

I thought I'd also test a closeup shot, as it really helps show up the messier parts and errors that I need to work on, I was shocked at how much I just don't see otherwise.
Views: 599
Size:  1.11 MB

It's definitely given me a new found respect for other people's skills!

Thanks for looking!

Jake

welcome back to the hobby, your keeping things tidy with is a large part of the battle and the colour scheme is working well, the bow doesnt have too much paint on, its just a little lacking in contrast. use some darker glazes and build up a pit of shadow, should improve things no end.

Cheers for the feedback, I'll give it some darker glazes a go and see how I get on. I've always struggled a little with shadows, so maybe that's something I should try and work on on this fellow. However, for now I've distracted myself with something a little different...

Views: 543
Size:  1.12 MB

This dead fellow kept staring at me from the other side of the painting table so I thought I'd slap a bit of paint on him.

He's not quite done yet as I want to do something about the base. I have a proper horde of zombies to paint if I want to do a full set, so simple bases would be a good idea, but we'll see.

Back to the Orc, as usual just a little bit of progress...

Views: 525
Size:  1.14 MB

Added a few highlights, and a few shadows. Tried to glaze in some shadows to the bow, following Coyotebreaks suggestion, which needs a few more layers, but has started to make a difference.

Painted the furry scarf (not a dodgy euphemism), which I quite like the look of from a distance.

cheers for looking!

That dwarf is looking pretty cool...

Blog Entries

Funny story, I rediscovered this exact mini the other day along with the standard bearer and was considering doing it for the lols and variation! So fr so good, the skintones are working out well, the contrast with the hair/beard and skin is a non issue it works fine. Remember you can always work in darker shades if you think it's too light so no dramas there. Certainly shaping up and I can't see any problems with the colour choice.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Well my friend, those stripes look fantastic !!! Followed the creases in the pants beautifully... and that Gem on the axe head is looking super too !!!! I’m green with envy watching your little guy progress... I’ve got about 9 hours of my last shift to go and then I can have a go myself !!! Oh and with the paints I’m hearing ya, I gave up recovering my old paints and have started buying new ones, they don’t seem to perfectly recover after drying out, well nothing like the smoothness you get from new paints anyways...