Chaotic Creations WIP - Page 11
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaotic Creations WIP

Very happy what I’m seeing - each model has you flying over the previous high standards on your previous models you’ve done- face kicks major ass!!!

Ooooh yeah that’s looking awesome , getting so much character in his face now. Great stuff

Thank you all for the comments, you guys are the best

@meph - well the way the shading of the eyes turned out is by pure mistake, I absolutely screwed the eyes on the first pass and had already started the shading so the only way to fix was to go darker, but I’m really happy that happened cause it look kinda cool with the deeper shade, with that had to intensify the shade everywhere else too, and will have to replicate this a bit in the other flesh areas aswell. So this guys going to have a bit darker flesh than I planned, but that’s all good, these things happen.

@canny - thanks for the input into the base mate, I’m a super noob when it comes to these comp things, don’t really know what is expected etc... yeah my thinking was with being so bright it would steal the attention. You are the go to guy for this, being a newly appointed judge and all

Good for you mate, your properly pushing on with this ork...great skin work, patterning on the armour and well impressed you are going for the full on freehand base.

Show no fear and get at it! You will come on in leaps and bounds pushing yourself this much...

I’d once again echo the above on the skin. The tonal variation is really helping it pop.

Keep it up buddy.

Thank you fox and hairster...
    seriously all who drop by my thread is the driving force to push my boundaries and it is really encouraging to have the support from so many great painters.
    Well I seem to have had a bit of an epiphany in the past few weeks, it’s like my brain is finally communicating with my hand and things are starting to work how they should. It’s been kind of a frustrating road since I’ve picked up the brush again, like I know what I have to do but doing it, that’s where it all goes wrong lol But finally I feel like I’m getting a bit of painting confidence back and I can relax a bit while I paint.

anyways progress has been steady, though not really worth posting up a pic just yet as it’s all just small adjustments ... just a matter of cleaning up everything and pushing the contrast... with all the little freehands I’ve added there’s a lot of tiny areas to clean up. Although I’m really happy with how he’s turning out. Will post up some pic’s soon when I get some noticeable changes.

Update
    Name:  674BB324-425F-40BC-9B72-AD9236167D95.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  1.16 MB
    As you can see not too much noticeable change, just a lot of little touch ups and glazes to start smoothing things out. Getting there slowly I guess!!!

Extremely nice work CC!!!

great job mate! looking very nice. you have some great detail on his wrist wrapping.

Top work CC. The skin and armour are looking excellent and clearly show off the effort you’ve put in.

The only thing I might think of adding is some contrasting colours. The yellow and green are very similar tonally, maybe see if there is somewhere you could add some blue to offset it?
    I may be wrong, it’s just a thought

@fox - you are bang on the money mate, I’ve desperately been thinking where I can subtlety add some blue to this guy, unfortunately there’s not enough little armour panels. So as a result i have been shading down the flesh with blue tones and trying to add a kind of a blue shine to the pants. But yeah it would be nice to incorporate a bit more, like a solid like panel of it somewhere. The next nob in line to paint has heaps of little armour plates so I could easily slip some more colour variation in somewhere.
    im kind of drawing my inspiration for the scheme off this picture I found on googleName:  AA04343D-21DE-4804-8A87-E93A64C57538.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  157.6 KB

Bit more progress, still a long way to go to get it all looking nice and clean... just thought I would post a pic to show how it’s going to look when all together.

Had a bit of a LOL moment after looking at this photo, at this stage the moon on the base looks like he’s pushing out an epic turd I won’t be able to un-see this now... oh well it’s good for a laugh.

Name:  7594D435-36AA-4528-9224-E5D3016096C0.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  870.3 KB

That looks really neat and awesome, makes me wanna paint some orks

In your reference pic they've got away with it by sneaking some pale blue into the metals, it's more like a space wolf blue/grey so it's subtle, I'm not sure that will help much if you're not doing nmm though lol, you could try maybe some blue war paint but I'd go with a desaturated blue so it doesn't clash. Looking good though just offering ideas on where to sneak in some blue

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaan View Post
    That looks really neat and awesome, makes me wanna paint some orks
    Cheers Arkaan, yeah orks are super fun to paint, great for experimenting with colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    In your reference pic they've got away with it by sneaking some pale blue into the metals, it's more like a space wolf blue/grey so it's subtle, I'm not sure that will help much if you're not doing nmm though lol, you could try maybe some blue war paint but I'd go with a desaturated blue so it doesn't clash. Looking good though just offering ideas on where to sneak in some blue
    yeah I did notice the blue in the metals, I have put a couple Of blue washes over the steel parts but doesn’t really show up to well as I’ve also tried to grime it up a little, don’t want it looking too clean as it is a grotty ork. Unfortunately the sculpt doesn’t doesn’t have as much little panels as I would like to represent what’s in the concept art, but that’s cool, just gotta make do with how it is. Hopefully using a bit of blue in the contrast will help out a bit. Anyways I’ve been procrastinating too long pushing the colours back and forwards and think it’s about time I look at finishing off this little guy and move on to the next one I think the next one is going to be a little bit more fun to paint, I’m thinking a skin tone similar to that of your boob goblin, and with a lot more armour plates I think I could get it looking a bit closer to that reference picture.

I posted it on FB but not sure if you saw, here's the colours I used, the black was just mixed into the darkest green for shades (all my dark greens are too saturated) and same with the light colour, the pale skin looks white when painted on green so I glazed over it which gave it a more yellow look
    Name:  IMG_20180308_204610.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  632.5 KB

Awesome, thanks mate, really appreciate it!!!

You know guys I’m big on analogous colors as well if I decide to do so it is actually not a bad thing to have things similar in the same tonal family.it kinda the price you pay if going in that direction. If we stick to those 5 layers of contrast ( exemplar some deep red shading( which is not what you decided to go for as it’s a preference would have had the green offset the yellow or if you used a colder approach like the blues or purples this offsets it to. Again it’s about what direction your going in with your piece. It’s kinda nail in a coffin thing when you choose a bad moon irk. Another option couldnve been a a dark olive drab green. This is a pain in the ass as highlighting dark hues can be tricky you cannot overstep or undershoot the highlights. And a dark shading of a dark green leaves really no room for variation of tones etc. my point I do it a lot as I like my models to be cohesive throughout. I rely on other ways (if I do this) to bring in contrast to similar colors- like a textures surface or a gloss/ Matt, blood textures, weathering. And harmony triangles. There are so many ways to approach things and as one evolves you’ll start to troubleshoot your own visual similarities. just shedding light on probably the most style versatile artform in the world. Imho