Chaotic Creations WIP
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaotic Creations WIP

Default Chaotic Creations WIP

Hello my fellow creative geniuses,
    well let me start by introducing myself.. I am Marcus, and first picked up a mini and laid brush to it about 23 years ago. About a month ago I re-discovered this world after a long break (about a decade and a half) and have started painting like like a possessed daemon ever since (when time permits that is). A lot of painting then stripping then painting again to learn a lot of the new techniques and style of painting you guys have created since I left the game...
    So I have joined this community and have been dropping a few comments and critiques and figure I had better put my money where my mouth is and show you guys my work. I Don’t have any completed minis as yet (none which I am game/proud enough to show off anyways), so I thought I would start one of these WIP things... oh by the way I am probably about as old school as it gets and really have close to zero idea on how all these forum things work ??? So please bare with me as I am in full learning mode... hopefully those who decide to have a look at this will like what they see, and please feel free to criticise the living hell out of my work and offer advise where you can, because I have seen some of the work posted on this site and you guys really rock, and any tips you have would be very much appreciated.
    anyways I thought I would start my WIP thread by painting a GW 40k ork boy as the first mini I ever painted was an ork. Wish myself luck an hopefully this mini turns out half decent at least...

This piece is already started and I have laid down quite a few layers already, but it is still in the very early stages so I figure this should be an alright start. All colours I am using for this piece will be from the citadel range, but I use a variety of different flow mediums and retarders, with ratios varying depending on the colour and effect. I shall wait till the morning to post a few pics of where the mini is at right now to get some natural light and get a half decent photo.

so here we go !!!

Ok so here’s the first couple of photos for this WIP...
    Name:  EC5E9CCD-6350-4EED-9CA0-AFBDCBE8853A.jpeg
Views: 879
Size:  290.3 KBName:  045BF45D-B0C7-4401-9037-F103F3B7FA24.jpeg
Views: 874
Size:  278.5 KB

It’s a little bit further along than where I was going to start but still have miles to go with it so it should be alright...
    im concentrating on the skin tones for now, trying to get them to a really bright green (a few shades brighter than moot green I guess). I’ve never painted an ork with really bright skin but I like the look so we will see how it goes.

For the skin so far I’m working with three colour (waagh flesh as the base, warp stone glow and moot green). I’m guessing I will add in some different contrasts with the glazes and highlights once I obtain a kind of solid mid tone. I think it’s about six layers on the body parts and maybe eight on the face, with still many more to go... slowly progressing through the colours a little lighter each time, trying to avoid any distinct transitions.

Ok, I’m thinking about starting that flat section of the chain sword (which I’ve based in a light brown, god knows why???). So I had an idea of freehanding a screaming orc skull on both sides, but not entirely convinced. I’m having a bit of a mental blank as to what I could do to give this little guy a bit of a unique flare, don’t really want to go down the goff ork style with the checkers...
    Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated, thanks...

Blog Entries

So far so good. A stylised "deaths head" would work fine there I reckon, kina orky style if you see what I mean.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Just a quick sketch of what I was thinking for the blade ???Name:  07ECF02B-FB5B-4B1E-B3DA-4FB054AF839C.jpeg
Views: 840
Size:  1.43 MB Although it seems pretty cool on paper, it ain’t a lot of space to try and get it on... although it could be done, I think I may be overestimating my capabilities...

The skin on the face and the shoulder looks really good, both neat and vibrant, good job.

If you're inspired to try your hand at some freehand, I'd say go for it! It is a small space, but pushing yourself with something is the best way to move forward and improve further. It looks to me like you've got the brush control and neatness to do some freehand on there

Blog Entries

I'd say go for it, not really much to lose but another modicum of sanity but what use is that on paper anyway =P Besides, practice makes perfect and all that jazz!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

yes go for it, worse case scenario, it doesnt work and you try again. or not.

nice pointing so far, the flesh looks nice. good precise layers

First attempt at freehanding the sword saw my 2 yr old trying to take the brush out of my hand (cause it’s his turn) and 1 yr old climbing up my leg.... hmmm not really ideal painting conditions, guess I had better wait till nap time to give it another go
    Name:  EAB547C7-A262-463B-8FCA-26974AAC0964.jpeg
Views: 784
Size:  275.1 KB
    This is as far as it’s got so far (mind the horrible photo)...
    Last edited by Chaotic Creations; 10-30-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Good first attempt. I like the bright green skin scheme.

And welcome to the forum. Several of us followed your path of ending up here after a long hiatus in our painting. Best of luck.

Newbie, please be gentle JesusRanchal's Avatar

Welcome, Marcus!

And well done with that green big boy

Hey thanks for the comments guys a real motivator... can’t wait to get a bit of time to finish that green all over, I’m really happy with the way it’s going, looking forward to doing the highlights on it to make it really stand out. Then I guess start the clothes and straps etc... hopefully with a couple of highlights I can get that freehand looking nice, starting to think just one side of the chainsword will do for the skull, will have to think of something cleaver for the other side. Times the biggest issue for me with my work roster and kids, generally end up painting in the middle of the night (although I always get distracted with the other little projects I’ve got going too).

Had very little progress on the ork so thought I would show you a couple of the other minis I’ve got on the go atm. Seem to get a bit excited when I see a new mini and have to start it... finishing them is the problem !!!
    Name:  DDB79EA1-DA36-47D8-B0CB-187180968CE8.jpeg
Views: 739
Size:  449.6 KB Name:  0217C1A7-4F6E-4CB9-87DD-B5A0EF058379.jpeg
Views: 745
Size:  758.4 KB Name:  409F99C1-3D11-4D4A-B72C-433803106B0D.jpeg
Views: 734
Size:  444.2 KB Name:  871F11DE-34AA-4557-9825-0E7FB789C5D3.jpeg
Views: 741
Size:  865.9 KB Name:  710B4981-4875-43D5-9ABB-9ECCF97AD3BC.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  965.3 KB

Hi. Great old school minis there
    It's very common to start a mini and struggle half way. I've done it loads of times, the key is to pick a mini that you love.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Hi. Great old school minis there
    It's very common to start a mini and struggle half way. I've done it loads of times, the key is to pick a mini that you love.
    I totally agree with Ten Ball there. Find a mini that just screams at you to paint it and go at it. It's exactly what got me back into painting again (I did a Death Guard Lord of Contagion) and I haven't looked back.

As for your work, it all looks pretty good...usual suggestions of thin your paint, take your time etc but most of all enjoy it

I made a comment on your gallery entry of the Ork boy about seeing more of what you can do and you haven't disappointed. Good job after a long break man

Hey cheers RougeSquirrel,
    yeah these are really just test pieces and will end up in the stripping pile, just trying to work out how these citadel paints work these days ??? And getting used to the new colours, technicals etc and how they all work... The paints quite a bit different it seems from when I used to paint (a hell of a lot better quality and flows totally different from what I remember)...
    Dont get me wrong I never was a pro painter but used to be alright at it. The biggest thing for me is how you guys paint these days, like 15/20 years ago when I was really into painting there were some damn good painters around, but the stuff you guys are whipping up now really blows my mind !!!!!
    I’m really just practicing all the techniques and tricks you all use now. Some of these painting styles I had never seen before till just a few months ago. so yeah just doing a lot of painting and stripping.

haha yeah about the mini choice, pretty much every mini screams out to me, especially once I start painting it so no really problems there. I generally get about half way through and don’t like the way it’s going or mess up the texture or something and decide to abort. And yeah ten ball I’ve got a big box of old school minis, so no shortage of beauties to work on.
    Last edited by Chaotic Creations; 11-03-2017 at 10:05 AM.

I daren't even look in the half finished box I have lol. I don't think there's enough dettol in the supermarket to get the paint off all of them. Best part of this place is there's always someone to help and offer advice on how to execute a particular technique and 9 out of 10 times it's always constructive criticism given. Feel free to drop me a message about anything you see on my minis that you want to know how I did it and I'll be happy to help

Nice start mate, looking good. One day you be great like me
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Cool cool thanks rouge, yeah thought I would start one of these WIP’s so people can give me tips along the way...
    and thanks cassar, yep probably be space marines cruising around by the time I get that good

Hey CC!!! BaM here.first off thanks for popping into my w I p thread.i paint quite a lot and post just as much so feel free to pop in anytime.first off how to get ultra smoothie coverage as you said in regards to my newest project the vampire bust. It’s as every body stated . The ol “thinning your paint”!!! However it can go a bit deeper in regards to what to thin your paints with and how thin should one go for a base color .so 1st step what to thin it with. Water is fine , but there is something out there called “flow improver” (reaper makes one that great. Or a glaze medium can be used as well (GW makes Lahmian medium.) they make nice even coverage and give a more solid coat due to the fact that all the metal fleas in Natalie paint are now more evenly spread out in the suspension.this means you get a solid color as opposed to just shaking where paint is heavy in one part and light in the other requiring several coats.
    now step to how thin is thin. Your right where you should be when you mix it together and try to draw your brush strokes in the pool of this mix and it doesn’t leave any stroke. That’s it plain and simple matey.
    As for finishing a model even if you don’t like it -I have an old saying -if it looks like garbage your in the right track and do not judge a mini until the final brush stroke. Force yourself to finish it. You need to get used to all the stages that we go through when painting a model. Try not to develop a routine where constantly your getting half way done and stop. Of course it still looks bad -ITS NOT FINISHED/!!!