Chaotic Creations WIP - Page 14
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Chaotic Creations WIP

I’ll guve you crazy- keep your eyes on the Chicago tribune- kid goes to jail for killing...decimating judges!!!
    great job CC better and better !!!!

Cheers Bam,

haha now come on mate we don’t wanna have to start calling you JudgesAsMedium!!! Doesn’t have the same ring to it LOL

Little bit more here and there !!! Will finish the base freehand next and add some inks etc and at least get the base complete.... seems the more I do the further it seems to be from finishing god it sucks being hyper critical, I never seem to be happy with anything I do, but I gotta get this one done!!!!Name:  806FA791-0860-44AC-B9D7-B0DBC298FB9B.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  673.9 KB

Looking good mate, I think everyone is over critical of their own work so don't sweat it, it's usually why I post so many pics lol, those tiny things that I know aren't quite how I'd like them no one else seems to notice so it's all good

two things, first of all the orc is looking really great, you are really pulling out some dark menacing character . and the freehand look really well done. very tidy and crisp. hard to remoter that the model is actually tiny.

now the 2nd thing, the quest for perfection. personally I think its not a good quest to be on. I used to make music as one of my main passions. I was always trying to make perfect tunes, replicate the masters that I looked up to all that.... and in so doing as my tunes never hit the mark I slowly killed the whole thing for me. music stopped being fun it was just a chore full misery and disappointment. I never finished a thing.

Looking back with hind sight I realise now that I was fool to be so hard on myself. How someone who is making their 2nd ever tune going to make it sound as good as a master. What I should have been doing rather then getting all upset about perfection is just enjoy the music, enjoy the process and most importantly, understand that there is a progression. you will be rubbish at something when you first start out, but the more you do it the better you get.

now with mini painting I found myself falling it the same trap. I have got really into it then given in, as my models are not as good as the masters, then taken it up again as I really want to be able to paint awesome minis. then quit again (as I can't ). and so on.

But this time that I have retuned I have come back in a different frame of mind. Im not in search of perfection, I see every mini as a chance to practice and over the last few months since I have been consistently finishing I have noticed an improvement. I know I have a long way to go but just getting a few minis finished has given me a sort of confidence, momentum if you like.

So yes Im sharing this as I don't want you fall into the trap that I did. yes there is always something you can do better, but IMO rather then going round and round in circles on one mini, bring those learnings to the next. so yeah Im not saying don't try and don't care, but I am saying you need see each mini a stepping stone, learn what you can from it and move on. Hope that makes sense.

anyway the orc looks cool, I have seen good stuff happen in this thread over the last few months so keep at it and finish stuff, honestly the momentum is a powerful thing.
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 03-26-2018 at 01:41 PM.

have a watch of this, I wish I had of seen it years ago. really puts things into perspective. and since watching it has helped we through the hard times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ResTHKVxf4
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 03-26-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Woah, menacing orc indeed! And I concur with Coyotebreak's philosophy. A learning curve goes faster if you have the fresh starts of new pieces. Each time you become more familiar with the first steps you did, so they go faster, and they're generally of better quality. And that skill increase nudges the frontier a bit forward where you were getting stuck earlier.
    Repetition counts, as it takes about 2000 times before a physical action becomes muscle memory. It's similar for artistic endeavours (or anything, really...).

That being said, take it as far as you want to go, mate! It's your sand box.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

I love this!!! Plain and simple-
    i AGREE whole heartedly with coyote. Though it’s hard for me to practice what I preach I do understand the pitfalls into a giant hornets nest with pins on dangers at the bottom of it. It takes all of us in our own diff ways to be happy enough with improving. Some of us on the competitive seen are all in this. Basically it’s how you come to understand and tame human nature when it comes to pushing ourselves in a healthy vs not so healthy way. Me I’m constantly looking to reaffirm and gain the approval of other competitors as well as passionate hobbyists and professionals alike, to earn from them a seat at the dinner table. It’s something I need to work on just as much as I need to work on improving.tameing the beast is even more important as it’s def NOT a healthy mindset. Again I need to most assuredly work on my mindset. Before I make myself sick enough where there’s no coming back.with all of you guys helping one another it’s def attainable.

Thanks guys for your comments

Have had a bit of a mental block as what to write back haha, wasn’t really expecting this response from my little statement... but it’s good to hear, so thank you, and more so thank you coyote for putting a lot of your time into your great comment, very much appreciated...

well how how can I put this, oh I can see this turning into a semi novel

So for me I guess since returning to miniature painting I have set myself a kind of goal to push myself to what I previously was able to accomplish, but more so push the boundaries of my painting, in a way to kind of catch up to where miniature painting is at today...
    i stopped painting minis a long time ago, but in all that time in between I never stopped my passion for art, I have always painted and have dabbled in most types of mediums, always interested in learning new techniques and styles. now having found the passion for miniature painting again I generally know what I want to achieve and find myself slowly working pieces to find the right technique to get the look I want to create.

So I generally find myself saying I’m not happy with what I’m doing, but that’s not to say I’m not happy with the result, it’s more it’s not exactly how I envisioned it to look, or turn out... when starting a new figure I will study it and work out exactly how it will look before even laying down the first brush stroke, but as I am still essentially a beginner painter, when it comes to miniatures, I find the overall look of a mini will begin to deviate from what I had in mind, as I don’t yet have the skill to apply exactly what I desire.... and this is the so called muscle memory which you guys speak of (this is the same for any type of art, learning the techniques to get the desired effect).
    Now for me I find the best way to achieve my best results is to put my heart and soul into everything I paint, I know a lot of people will say this is unhealthy and a good way to burn out, but for me personally I believe if I’m not striving to do the best I can, and end up finishing minis which I’m not quite satisfied with, then I will definately burn out... I’m a strong believer in pushing yourself to improve your skills, so why not push yourself with the one your painting at the moment, instead of saying well I will just leave it as is and apply my skills to the next one?

When painting miniatures I generally try to paint in a way that the mini looks quite realistic, I guess that’s the style of painting I’m striving for... I like to be able to hold up the figure in front of my eyes and virtually see no sharp transition etc, I want it quite smooth in real life... in saying this though I totally believe I have not yet established my style yet...
    which brings me to style, like this forum for example... every single person on this site has a different style of painting, some in particular totally different from others, and that is the beauty of ART... not one way is the correct way, and as the saying goes ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ so what you may really like, someone else may dislike!!!
    I really like to observe how others do things, whether it’s something I like or not, because some techniques can be very simple yet extremely effective, I admire these things and often think I should just do that, but then it’s really not what I’m trying to achieve.

i guess for everyone they have a goal of where they want there skill set to advance to, and every individual has their own way of progression to this point... For me constantly pushing myself keeps me motivated and if this means taking forever to finish a mini to a point where I’m satisfied, well so be it, I quite enjoy working things back and forward, as you slowly learn a little more every time you change something. And from this learning you know for next time the easy way to get the result you desire.

so yeah I guess that’s why I just carry on persisting with things, to try and get the result I’m after. But I must say thank you very much for the input from everyone. I absolutely love reading everyone’s advice and critiques as I strongly consider what everyone says (no matter what the skill level, as the opinions of an observer is just as valuable as the opinions of a professional, as what we are trying to achieve is something that is appealing to the observer).

ok, I’ll shut up now... told you it would be a small novel, guess I can talk more shit than a marijuana farmer

I'll let you in on a little secret, nothing I've ever painted looks like how I imagined it would before I started. Sometimes my ideas I had while waiting for things to arrive simply didn't work or were beyond my current skill level but that's ok, I adapt and move on and do the best I can at that time, trying and failing still helps you learn even if you completely change the idea in the end to something more within your current ability. There's also a lot to be said for finishing projects even if not perfect, I've ended up taking breaks sometimes long breaks simply because I get burned out from over pushing myself and never actually finishing anything so there comes a point where you have to say to hell with it, call it done and take the lessons to the next mini, in the future you can always go back and either strip the mini or touch it up or whatever if you feel like it but simply calling it done gives a sense of accomplishment which you deny yourself if you end up putting it down out of frustration.

Because of the above I've adapted my method so I just come up with a general idea to begin with, usually while waiting for something to arrive I drive myself mad coming up with a ton of ideas for whatever I'm waiting for and doing some research. By time it comes through the door I've got a starting point but after that I basically freestyle it, I try some things I had in mind and if it works then great, if not then I come up with something else or ask for ideas (as you've seen with the goblin bust tattoos). Sometimes you have to not overthink it and see what happens in the spur of the moment for ideas

It can be very difficult to stay positive andmotivated as you learn and build your skills. When I painted my first minisfour years ago, I took them to the local gaming store where I bought them andshowed them to the owner. In a matter of minutes, I was surrounded by peopletelling me how great they were. Then I joined CMON, uploaded them to thegallery, and had my bubble burst. Some it is because there is a much higherlevel of painter here compared to the average game store. Some of it is becausemy photography skills suck. But most of it is because I am still learning,still improving, and still have a long way to go.

In myWIP thread, there is a bust of Marilyn Monroe that I started in January of2016. After several attempts, I came to the realization that I didn't have theskill level to do it justice. Over the last two years I have started andstopped it numerous times. Last Sunday, I finally finished it.
    .................................................. ........
    Here is a link to the stuff I have painted:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/MrJim

Here is a link to my WIP thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...rJim-s-ADD-WIP

Here is a link to my favorite Miniatures Website:
    http://www.competitionminis.com/
    .................................................. ........

The ork is looking pretty cool Chaotic and as you keep working on it you will approach the vission you have for your work.

That ork is looking pretty good man...good job.

There is a lot to be proud of with this ork! The skin tones look very realistic and I prefer the way you painted this ork compared to how GW does. The yellows came out really well and I love the base. Bad Moons indeed! I'm looking forward to your next project and to seeing where you go from here! Keep practicing and I know you'll just get better and better

Thanks you all...

well yeah im really happy with how this one is turning out... though there is still quite a bit to go before I call him finished, I haven’t really started pushing the highlights yet, that I am starting to work on now... I’ve got till the end of next month to get him done if I put him into the comp I was planning on... so yeah it will be done very soon... I guess next step it’s the weathering, as I have been lazy and haven’t got around to ordering pigments etc yet, I’m just going to have to rely on doing it the old school way
    guess all that’s needed now is just a couple of decent blocks of time to be able to sit down and finish it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments

Have had a bit of a mental block as what to write back haha, wasn’t really expecting this response from my little statement... but it’s good to hear, so thank you, and more so thank you coyote for putting a lot of your time into your great comment, very much appreciated...

well how how can I put this, oh I can see this turning into a semi novel

So for me I guess since returning to miniature painting I have set myself a kind of goal to push myself to what I previously was able to accomplish, but more so push the boundaries of my painting, in a way to kind of catch up to where miniature painting is at today...
    i stopped painting minis a long time ago, but in all that time in between I never stopped my passion for art, I have always painted and have dabbled in most types of mediums, always interested in learning new techniques and styles. now having found the passion for miniature painting again I generally know what I want to achieve and find myself slowly working pieces to find the right technique to get the look I want to create.

So I generally find myself saying I’m not happy with what I’m doing, but that’s not to say I’m not happy with the result, it’s more it’s not exactly how I envisioned it to look, or turn out... when starting a new figure I will study it and work out exactly how it will look before even laying down the first brush stroke, but as I am still essentially a beginner painter, when it comes to miniatures, I find the overall look of a mini will begin to deviate from what I had in mind, as I don’t yet have the skill to apply exactly what I desire.... and this is the so called muscle memory which you guys speak of (this is the same for any type of art, learning the techniques to get the desired effect).
    Now for me I find the best way to achieve my best results is to put my heart and soul into everything I paint, I know a lot of people will say this is unhealthy and a good way to burn out, but for me personally I believe if I’m not striving to do the best I can, and end up finishing minis which I’m not quite satisfied with, then I will definately burn out... I’m a strong believer in pushing yourself to improve your skills, so why not push yourself with the one your painting at the moment, instead of saying well I will just leave it as is and apply my skills to the next one?

When painting miniatures I generally try to paint in a way that the mini looks quite realistic, I guess that’s the style of painting I’m striving for... I like to be able to hold up the figure in front of my eyes and virtually see no sharp transition etc, I want it quite smooth in real life... in saying this though I totally believe I have not yet established my style yet...
    which brings me to style, like this forum for example... every single person on this site has a different style of painting, some in particular totally different from others, and that is the beauty of ART... not one way is the correct way, and as the saying goes ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ so what you may really like, someone else may dislike!!!
    I really like to observe how others do things, whether it’s something I like or not, because some techniques can be very simple yet extremely effective, I admire these things and often think I should just do that, but then it’s really not what I’m trying to achieve.

i guess for everyone they have a goal of where they want there skill set to advance to, and every individual has their own way of progression to this point... For me constantly pushing myself keeps me motivated and if this means taking forever to finish a mini to a point where I’m satisfied, well so be it, I quite enjoy working things back and forward, as you slowly learn a little more every time you change something. And from this learning you know for next time the easy way to get the result you desire.

so yeah I guess that’s why I just carry on persisting with things, to try and get the result I’m after. But I must say thank you very much for the input from everyone. I absolutely love reading everyone’s advice and critiques as I strongly consider what everyone says (no matter what the skill level, as the opinions of an observer is just as valuable as the opinions of a professional, as what we are trying to achieve is something that is appealing to the observer).

ok, I’ll shut up now... told you it would be a small novel, guess I can talk more shit than a marijuana farmer
    cool bit of insight, cheers for sharing. I can relate to it. I think the dedication you are putting in is definitely working. so yeah keep at it. when i posted what I did, I was more worried that might get in the going round in circles thing that is easy get caught up in. but reading this i can see that you have a good handle on it all.

so yeah good stuff.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

I’m most certain we ALL feel this way!!!

I think the ork is looking great. I think once you bring in the planned weather and highlighting, it will become a spectacular Bad Moon.

And I echo your comments about you approach painting as I do a very similar thing. As other have stated, lots of us who are always trying to improve our painting and push to the next level, learn that new skill and achieve a particular finish. The feedback and support shown on this forum helps motivation along with providing tonnes of inspiration.
    pax et bonum

Just my 2 cent, CC I understand that what you feel now you think it's good for you well you are the only master in this domain, nobody can tell you other wise because it's the way YOU feel. In my experience I realized that this feeling you having now can change and can come back again, your not trap forever in this mind set, so if that is what you feel to do then you do just that. In my case I just have an excitement that is the juice that keep me going, if the excitement is gone than I have to stop and finish the model quick other wise it's tossed aside. The problem is I don't control this flow of energy, it's been process on it's own, excitement or no excitement push or stop. Force a project with no excitement can lead to burn out too!! Well in my case anyway, unless of course you have other good reason to complete minis like commission or something. It all comes down to excitement anyway because when you do commissions let say well you are excited because you will get pay etc. Me it's clear if the excitement is gone so is the project.
    Last edited by metalasmedium; 03-30-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Have had this figure sitting on my desk for a bit and thought I might have a little break from the orks and do a fun little quick paint on it... good to muck around with something totally different to what I’ve been doing lately and do some carefree painting Here’s progress so far:
    Name:  80ECDA16-DE03-49D8-B862-86FB63B8E72C.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  740.3 KB