Corvus\' weird links -VI-

Thread: Corvus\' weird links -VI-

Default Corvus\' weird links -VI-

Here are some pictures of a very strange contest: building scale model bridges out of spaghetti :)

http://www.citg.tudelft.nl/gallery/spagh27112004

enjoy ;)

Well some people obviously have no life, spending hours upon hours on pointless activities like that... Now painting minis... that\'s completely different!! lol:innocent:

Amazing what you can do with spaghetti! And it tastes good too...

Default The first question that comes to mind is...

Originally posted by Corvus
    Here are some pictures of a very strange contest: building scale model bridges out of spaghetti :)

http://www.citg.tudelft.nl/gallery/spagh27112004

enjoy ;)
    WHY????

lol

I actually am pretty impressed by it. But if it were COOKED spaghetti, well then you\'d have something!

I think the yearly spaghetti contest is getting way to commercial. You always have to build to match the \"imagery\" of the spaghettiworld. They just arrange it to get publicity and more buyers. :mad:

I like the macaroni contest much better. They just let your imagination run wild!

(I can\'t really judge who I like the best.. those VIP-photos are just too bad quality, I\'ll wait for the studio ones)

Personally, I\'m waiting for the Build a Derrigible from LAsagna Noodles competition lol

Origineel geplaatst door supervikeWHY????
    Serious answer? It\'s a yearly competition organised by the technical university of Delft. It started off as a competition for the structural engineers but they now also have a separate one for highschool teams.

You have to design the lightest bridge that can cross a set gap and fits within a certain size and weight restriction. Spaghetti has to be the carrying element. Not the glue or anything else. The bridges are tested at the competition and the one that can carry most times it\'s own weight wins (i.e. efficiency above capacity).

The winner was a bridge that carried 29,875kg which was 156x the weight of the bridge. Not bad for kids not trained as engineers.

The official site for the uni students has not been updated so I don\'t know who won there. In any case, they will compete in Canada for the world trophy. Oh, and lasagna leaves are used too.

EDIT- now I come to think of it. RAMON! Where are you? They are laughing at your uni! You\'re supposed to defend it, not me!:D

Default that being said, I\'d still like to ask...

Originally posted by minimaker
    Origineel geplaatst door supervikeWHY????
    Serious answer? It\'s a yearly competition organised by the technical university of Delft. It started off as a competition for the structural engineers but they now also have a separate one for highschool teams.

You have to design the lightest bridge that can cross a set gap and fits within a certain size and weight restriction. Spaghetti has to be the carrying element. Not the glue or anything else. The bridges are tested at the competition and the one that can carry most times it\'s own weight wins (i.e. efficiency above capacity).

The winner was a bridge that carried 29,875kg which was 156x the weight of the bridge. Not bad for kids not trained as engineers.

The official site for the uni students has not been updated so I don\'t know who won there. In any case, they will compete in Canada for the world trophy. Oh, and lasagna leaves are used too.

EDIT- now I come to think of it. RAMON! Where are you? They are laughing at your uni! You\'re supposed to defend it, not me!:D

WHY??:D:D:D

no no just kidding. That is a very lofty goal and an interesting study into engineering.

Default WOAH!

hardcore.

but i guess i veiw that like people who dont paint view minis

i just dont plain get it. :P

ZeCorto

Well, call me a geek, I deserve it, but this is great! I want to do this with my kids. A simple challenge, no costly materials and a lot of possibilities. While painting minis is useless and somewhat artistic (well, for some of you it is, even if not at my level); I love this because it\'s useless and smart.
    OK, now thanks to the forums I have learnt that what I like is mostly useless. lollol oh, and I like to fly kites, too...

I don\'t know why but it just seems dull. neat that someone did it. perhaps there is a way to use this in terrain... maybe producing straw?

Origineel geplaatst door ZeCortoA simple challenge, no costly materials and a lot of possibilities.
    In that case, a structural engineer in Discovery channel mentioned a game they did at his office: make the highest tower that can carry a can of soda drink using one A4 sheet of paper.

donga666

UK schools do a similar competition, for Secondary/High school age kids. I\'ll try and find the link to that.

Some of the ideas were mad/truely creative/great, Spacemunkie should know about it. He\'s still a teacher, Im not!

A more appropriate term might be \'child minder\'......:rolleyes:

donga666

Or \'Riot police\'

See ya tommorow BoozeMunkie:|~

Originally posted by minimaker
    Origineel geplaatst door ZeCortoA simple challenge, no costly materials and a lot of possibilities.
    In that case, a structural engineer in Discovery channel mentioned a game they did at his office: make the highest tower that can carry a can of soda drink using one A4 sheet of paper.
    Yeah actually, back when I was in a couple of design courses in college, we did that one, too. We also had to make a container that would allow an egg to survive a fall from the (3 story) roof. And design and make a workable, accurate dart for a blow gun. There were a lot of cool projects. :D