WIP Grand Master Voldus of the Grey Knights; 3rd Brotherhood

Name:  6-WIP.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  677.7 KB

WIP#2 Grand Master Voldus
    Name:  IMG_1079.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  925.3 KB
    Progress from tonight. Laid the metal base coats. Need to do some touch ups but it's a good start. Lots of small details to work out on this guy. I just received the army painter branded brushes and they are a life saver already for these details.

Looking good mate,
    just take good care of those brushes, especially using metallics... regular washing while painting and a thorough clean when done you need decent brushes for fine details like this.
    looking forward to seeing how you progress with this guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Looking good mate,
    just take good care of those brushes, especially using metallics... regular washing while painting and a thorough clean when done you need decent brushes for fine details like this.
    looking forward to seeing how you progress with this guy!!!
    Thanks for the tip! I'm excited to see how he turns out as well. He has been fun so far!

WIP#3 Grand Master Voldus

Name:  6-WIP2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  1.61 MB

I think I'm getting close to giving it the first wash. I'm still not sure what I want to do with the cloak and the color of the books. Part of me wants to keep the cloak black for simplicity and to keep it dark. I've played with the idea of painting the inside of the cloak a deep red as well. Any opinions?

looking good so far. nice tidy work picking out those different metals. having a different colour on the inside of the cloak sounds a good idea. the black does look like it will need to be broken up a bit. a dark blue might work as well. it will complement the orange tones in the brass.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

#6 Grand Master Voltus
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  330.4 KB
    Name:  6-2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  1.34 MB

Pretty Happy with how he turned out. Although he is leaning slightly farther back than I had hoped. Something to pay attention to on the next mini I get to. I also did some repairs on the base and had to dry brush which looks like it may have splattered onto Voltus a bit. From a typical viewing distance he looks fine though.

WIP Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought
    Name:  IMG_1162.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.08 MB

Preparing to prime

Voltus turned out great, well done... and a really cool base he’s mounted on, an all round awesome job!!!
    Straight into another project too, I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Voltus turned out great, well done... and a really cool base he’s mounted on, an all round awesome job!!!
    Straight into another project too, I like it
    Thanks Chaotic! I'm excited to get going on the Dread and put the airbrush to use on a larger piece.

nice one dude, he turned out great. very tidy painting and the base is really good. will look forward to seeing what you do with the dread,
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Name:  IMG_1247.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  1.65 MB
    Starting work on the dread. Going for clean airbrushed gradients on the armor panels. Will take lots of work to tape off each piece but I think the final effect will be pretty cool.

Name:  IMG_1248.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  848.0 KB
    Finished for today I think. Happy with the results.

nice, thats looking really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    nice, thats looking really smooth.
    Thanks! I'm really happy with the direction it is taking.

Name:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  851.4 KB

Well I screwed it up and will be dumping it in simple green tomorrow. I seem to have issues applying washes and end up with just a very dirty looking model instead of having wash get into crevices and that's it. I applied it with a brush straight from the container of nuln oil. I was aiming for low points and crevices but it spread more so I tried to apply an even coat and soak up any pools with a dry brush but I still ended up with this dirty mess. Do I just need more practice or is my technique completely wrong? Ignore the awful metallic "scratches". I don't even want to begin to talk about that atrocity.

From reading it looks like it doesn't play well with large flat surfaces and maybe that was my issue but I'd love to hear others opinions before I go full bore with that idea.

Taking a different turn for a bit on this guy while I wait for some things to come in the mail. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  874.7 KB

Some skin progress from tonight. Tried my hand at some glazing. It needs some work but I think it is a step in the right direction. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  916.8 KB

Some more progress. Mixed some red with gloss varnish to get an open wound effect inside the...open wounds and started basecoating the armor as well as a bit more skin work.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  846.5 KB