Scoring etiquette

Thread: Scoring etiquette

Default Scoring etiquette

Hi all, just a quick discussion starter, what makes you click on and score a photo? Obviously all minis posted here have far more views than scores, so if you click on a mini and don't vote why is that? I am guilty of this myself but for the most part this is simply because I have no interest in the subject matter of that particular mini, so rather than vote a lower score I may just pass it by and leave it for another who has interest in the mini and might give it a more accurate critical eye. Also what are peoples thoughts on under voting to purposefully pull a score down to what you believe it should be? By this I mean looking at a submission that is sat at say a 9, believing it should be an 8 and voting much lower than that to pull the average score down (not my submissions by the way, I'm a little way away from expecting 8's let alone 9's!). I've seen it happen on some really amazing submissions that I've then followed and the scores have generally come back up again. Is this a common (or fair) practice? Or is it just trolls trolling about? That ended up being longer than I meant, just bored and waiting for the wife!

AJ

I try to vote all of them.
    Altough to be honest I'm starting to fall behind. Only voted 218006/235636 so far.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Well everyone brave enough to post is number one in my book - which is why i give them all 1's :P Seriously though, turn off the scores and have fun painting. Want great feedback? Join us over on the WIP threads and start one of your own. The scoring really means so little. On a scale of one to ten i give it a 1.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

don't listen to zab he's grumpy lol, i give it a 10, scorings brilliant just the best way of stroking ones ego (sarcasm)....but unfortunatly on the downside theres lots of nobbers out there willing to give your ego a good kicking too (truth)..my advice know yourself trust in your ablities and try to laugh it off "WHEN" you get sniped there is no "IF".
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Fair points all round I guess, I've got to say I'm generally happy with the average scores (getting into the 7's) I seem to receive but as always I'd like to do better (painting rather than scores as Zab suggests I prefer not to put too much stock in the scores as I still fundamentally paint for myself rather than other peoples opinions). Maybe I will set up a project log, my only problem is I flit about from project to project and usually have at least a few projects on the go at a time! Maybe a log will help me focus a little better, thanks for the replies all!

AJ

Some people just wanna pull people down...its happened to me but like the guys said, paint for the joy of painting. It's nice to see how your work is rated on a scale but the problem is it's a pretty faceless thing and the down voters can ply their trade without ever being seen. Occasionally one will pop up just like they did on my deathshroud terminator but they are few and far between. If it makes them happy and gives them satisfaction then at least they are getting some enjoyment from what they have seen which is ultimately why minis are displayed (even if it isn't the enjoyment you intended when you painted it lol )

The thing with the rating of 1-10 is a chemical one. The higher the score, the more the hypothalamus in the brain is irritated. This leads to a dopamine emanation, which stimulates the pleasure center in the brain. We will be happy. So much for the technical - chemical part.
    Personally, I am often on CMON to look at miniatures that I just bought. That's how I get my inspiration and inspirations. But I seldom vote. Only if I really like a character, or it impresses me strongly. I think that most of the painters here are absolutely superior to their skills and craftsmanship. They paint much better than me - if I criticize these artists, that would be presumptuous.

I love voting on people’s minis and if I feel the the need I will post a comment. The way I feel about it is that people have put so much effort into the paint work and want to show off their skills, so it’s only fair I put in a little effort and drop a comment and give them a vote...
    now voting, that’s the hard part for me, I find it difficult to vote as even a poorly executed paint job can in my book get a really high mark depending on how the end product looks, and vice versa... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I just look at how much effort and passion has gone in and score accordingly...
    The 10s I give are reserved for those specially little guys that are off the hook !!! You know know the ones you look at and are like “oh my Lordy, I could never paint like that”
    Hmmmm why people would want to score something down for no reason ??? Who knows ??? Maybe it’s the same kind of thinking that sees people ending up in hospital with strange objects stuck in their - well you know where !!! Let’s face it the world has no shortage of stupid people and you will drive yourself crazy trying to work them out...
    just keep painting, whatever your skill level, if your having fun then your doing a great job

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSquirrel View Post
    Some people just wanna pull people down...its happened to me but like the guys said, paint for the joy of painting. It's nice to see how your work is rated on a scale but the problem is it's a pretty faceless thing and the down voters can ply their trade without ever being seen. Occasionally one will pop up just like they did on my deathshroud terminator but they are few and far between. If it makes them happy and gives them satisfaction then at least they are getting some enjoyment from what they have seen which is ultimately why minis are displayed (even if it isn't the enjoyment you intended when you painted it lol )
    Honestly mate it was reading your topic that made me think of my little diatribe! Good to see the people so far replied have generally give opinions in line with how I feel. I like Farbschmier's very scientific reply, and I agree, as much as I say I paint for my enjoyment there obviously is a part of me that enjoys seeing how others critique my work (or I wouldn't post it!)

I agree there...its why I put my work on here. Being judged and critiqued by artists of the calibre of the guys on here is a massive help to furthering my skill sets...ive had a lot of good advice and inspiration

The guy who commented and low rated me must have just had his jocks in a knot that day lol

I used to vote on few minis and usually only the ones that caught my eye in the top posts section. I often just searched for miniatures I was about to paint for inspiration. Somewhere along the way my point of view changed and I put more of an emphasis on taking time to vote. People have taken the time to paint and post so why not give them a few seconds of my own time to vote for and value their work. I give anyone who opens themselves to positive or negative feedback props. For this reason I also try to be honest in my opinion. I wish everyone would be. Often times it seems to be ridiculously inflated scores from ?friends or ridiculously low scores from ?rivals. I do try to keep in mind that we all approach voting from a different angle so what I think something deserves may honestly not be what someone else thinks it deserves.
    Knowledge means nothing unless we share it so I try to take time to leave a comment and critique. It's also good to put your name to a vote too. I stand by what I say. It doesn't matter what our skill level is because we ALL know what we like and don't like.
    The more I vote the more it seems that many people have the same number of votes. The exceptions are the spectacularly painted examples. Are they all the same people who take the time to vote. It doesn't take much of your time to vote on a few minis each time you visit this site.

Well, I’m new to the site and didn’t realize that posting pictures to my gallery meant posting them for reviews, so I’m heading over to the WIP thread from now on. I’m here for learning/C&C and nowhere near ready to be judged on a scale of 1-10.

guilty of hardly ever scoring at all. when i do its usually when i cant resist giving stuff a comment.