Seeking Critical Feedback

Thread: Seeking Critical Feedback

Newbie, please be gentle Ceaser_88's Avatar

Default Seeking Critical Feedback

Hi All,

I’ve recently completed the Wolf Lord below - he’s my best effort to date and hence ripe for the skewering!

I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this piece.

Name:  EE5F0934-12BB-492A-9E86-A023C0358BD2.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  998.4 KB

I like the red casing on the bolter and his armour. They are nicely blended. I think you could go further each way with the contrast. The face is a good start but needs bit more life to it. The metals are smooth though they need more contrast too even some weathering. Now the parts that need the most work are the fur and hair. I like the color variation on the wold but it looks very dry brushed and needs more blending. Try wet on wet or maybe James wappels mid, high and then shade down technique. Finally I like the base its well done. I hope that helps! I’m sure others will be along shortly to give you more pointers and opinions!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

You seem to have relatively good brush control and all the colours are all where they should be, with nice clean lines. There is some nice blending going on as well. I think you have done an all round nice job with this mini, and it looks pretty cool... The base is a really quality job !!
    So if you just want to keep your painting at a good table top quality then your definitely on the right track and just carry on doing what your doing.. but if you want to improve your skills then it’s exactly as the points Zab has mentioned. Just keep painting and pushing your skills... my biggest advice is to stop dry brushing all together (at this point in time) !!!! It is a good technique and very effective in the right application, but the same effect can be achieved with other more advanced techniques and results in a much better looking mini.. Just try to resist the temptation to get that quick finish with dry brushing and work on blending techniques to achieve nice smooth colour transitions...
    you can always start a work in progress on here as there are so many people here to help and offer good advice... as well as scouring YouTube etc as there are so many great videos showing how to perform different techniques...

I really appreciate the excellent critical feedback guys! I have to admit I was hesitant to put my work out there but im glad I did

This was my first time painting a wolf so I wasnt sure how to attack it, and ultimately drybrushed on the advice of Warhammer Community - I shall not drybrush moving forward as Id like to push my painting to a high standard. Im definately going to incorporate greater contrast into my next piece (something I recognised myself would improve the finish), and possibly give weathering a go to give the piece more character

Well you’ve got good advice so far so I’m gonna throw in my twopennorth.
    In future for wolves look to Google images on timber wolves then try to match the colours down the spine and into the belly area, ditto the face mask. Thinning your paints into near glazes will help you get a smoother transition especially as the colour darkens.

Now Drybrushing has its place in painting but the trick is to use it with subtle changes in colour, keep high changes as a last resort.

Overall you have good brush control and seemingly an idea of highlighting, for your next step I’d suggest looking at the higher scoring figures and working out where there contrast levels lie and try to emulate them.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Nice work! You can also remove some of the harshness of the drybrushing with washes or glazes.

To really bring life into your mini, I suggest doing some colour variations to the face. Here's a great guide to painting faces that might help: http://powellminipainting.blogspot.n...ing-faces.html

For something completely different, I also suggest looking at James Wappel's shaded base coat technique. Great for anything organic (like that wolf!), easy to grasp and should really let you improve at the level you are now.

Other than this, I pretty much agree with everything said above.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your time and insights; until now I’ve improved model-to-model based primarily on my perception of my strengths and weaknesses (friends and fam not able to offer a critical eye). I’m keen to work your feedback into my next piece and recognise the payoff.

Make a work in progress-thread for yourself - then folks can provide insights as you work on a piece. Can be extremely useful!

Thanks, I’ll give the WIP thread a shot - next up is a WG Termie Captain, so an opportunity to work a blended Wolf skin as opposed to a drybrushed.

I purchased Mini Mentors guide to painting faces as well (with Banshee); want to get to a point where I can really bring the face to life. That link to Powells was impressive. Wappels method is a new one as well; saved to Evernote for another time

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Nice work! You can also remove some of the harshness of the drybrushing with washes or glazes.
    This is an excellent tip !!! It certainly does clean it up alot