Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something - Page 21
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something

Impressive work -you’ll do well with these !!! I can tell already mate.

Really cool idea with the painter. Stealable even.

Thanks BAM, I hope so, but look at it as another barrier to break (entering another competition) more than being worried about winning an actual award. I guess I can sum it up as being happy with myself for actually completing a project to my satisfaction and if it wins any awards that is just the icing on the cake.

Steal away Toad! Nice of you to say the idea is worthy of copying. Honestly can't say if I have seen similar ideas like it before, but it fit the mini as I wasn't sure how to base the figure for the longest time. It also allowed me to work on a limited custom basing idea without having to go crazy on it for a first time build, hence the trees in the little painting.

okay almost finished with the painter guy. Just need to add some extra turf to his base and then glue it to the larger base and then paint the main base black or brown (haven't decided yet) so just a quick shot of how it should pretty much look:
    Name:  20190818_152405.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  144.7 KB

Eki this is awesome I love this idea

Thanks Gorb and Sik!
    I finished it up tonight and will get a pic of it up tomorrow (only thing different though is the base is painted black and added that extra turf to the mini base so it blended in better).
    Was trying to finish another base, but realized I bought the wrong gauge wire so that on will have to wait until tomorrow, dnag it!
    One other base to work on and I am really stumped on what to do so that might be a last minute deal.....dang super hero figures and my lack of basing skills

Ok, here is an updated photo of two of the figures with the bases. I am going to apologize right now because I think I need to get a filter as the pics are a little bright so washed out some detail.

1st up the necromancer, which I am considering done:
    Name:  20190820_173835.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  68.5 KBName:  20190820_173857.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  65.9 KB

2nd is the painter dude:
    Name:  20190820_173651.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  166.3 KBName:  20190820_173740.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  153.3 KB
    Now, I have a question for all of you with the experience. To me I consider it done but lacking a little. I don't have any actual static grass, but I do have a few packs of grass tufts, should I add a few of those to break up the uniformity of the grassy areas or leave as is? I am partially afraid of messing it up but might bow to peer pressure...

I’m lovin’ em bro they look great! If they’re the grass tufts with the semi sticky bottoms maybe try lightly setting them on the base and see how it looks? Maybe add them by the water like where the longer marsh grass would be, but unless it looks great there I might not do anything just because for me personally it gives a very English/French summer countryside bright and sunny vibe, like he’s in the shire or something on a bright and sunny day. I just like the feel of the piece even with the grass like that. Maybe if you could scrounge up or find some little wildflower bunches or something to simulate that? I think that would go well

Great job on the necromancer!
    And regarding the painting dude base, I personnaly wont touch it.
    I second sik Willy on the summer vibe, and the composition looks equilibrate to me as it is.
    The rocks add balance regarding the painter which is great, but the the real subject here is the painter and his masterpiece.
    So, to me, leaving the grass as a simple green mat help not disturbing the viewer, and adding tufts can break that (just my 2cents opinion though).

Thanks Sik and Dexter. I think I will just leave it alone and call it done. Next base I am working on is driving me nuts! I am having a hard time getting the AK interactive Concrete level (trying to make a sidewalk) but realized that the template and walls I built to contain it prohibit me from getting the spatula in there to properly spread it evenly.
    I want a mini diorama of the two super-heroines fighting but grrr that damn concrete
    Name:  20190821_190920.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  116.0 KB

Why don't try to take the problem from an other angle? :
    - cut two pieces of foam to that you can use as guides (at this step the concret is a negative space).
    - then you just have to fill the negactive space with concrete, and level it with a ruler or something

and remove the foam aftervard if you don't need it.

The necromancer looks great, and the painter dude too.
    The only sad thing is that the trees in painter dude's painting are not in the dio

As for the concrete: I second Dexter's advice, this is how they level (screed) concrete in the real world too - just google "screed concrete"

well, I did actually attempt that, but your idea with the foam sounds like a much better idea that what I attempted. I used some cardboard pieces, but they were a little too tall so it messed it up (took this picture after removing the cardboard). Maybe I will scrape the old concrete off and re-do it.

Did that on purpose to give it a sense of depth that is not actually on the dio, and I didn't have any tree making material at hand
    Last edited by ekipage; 08-22-2019 at 08:16 PM.

The necro is looking amazing, as well as the artist on the diorama does.
    Regarding your grass question. I might not recommend to risk the impression of the given green area.
    If you wanna add something you can use same leaves to round it up or some little mushrooms.

But maybe St. Toad could do a final call on the recommendation? To my mind he is the "terrain master"
    here in the forum ;-)
    Last edited by Graishak; 08-23-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Tufts can help break up the flatness of the flock, but you will probably need to bed them in to the current grass for it not to look out of place.

Personally I would always go over any flock, tutfs etc with some watered down inks or paint to adjust the tones and make them more realistic. (the standard flocks are usually a bit unnaturally coloured or bright)

Some small places stones/gravel etc could enhace your stream allong with some longer plants shooting our from the sides of the riverbank.....

Food for thought anyway....do whatever you feel confident with!

Kind of you to say that, Graishak, and very nice to hear. I’m very much a learner like everyone else, though, and proudly deny any mastery. I hope my bases in five years put my current efforts to shame!
    As for the painting scene, I might add a (cluster of) tuft(s) around/on the green back end of the rock. Grass and/or flowers. It will create a triangle rather than a line (between the two flowers), which the eye reads as more natural. Get a bit up onto the second or third level to provide some variation in the height of the tufts.
    Your main challenge will be to integrate the new tufts, as Hairster said. I would probably try to see if you can scrape off some of the existing flock to create a little pocket to glue onto, then reflock around the foot. It’ll get in the tufts, and you’ll have to fish it out with a crappy little old brush. No big deal.
    Of course, the piece is very nice as it is, so you don’t have to do anything to have a scene worthy of proud display. I’m looking forward to seeing it firsthand next weekend.

It’s pretty bright, Phil!
    Name:  FA9EBB20-8D3D-4553-9C60-FD84240BDEF7.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  174.2 KB
    That’s from my walk this afternoon. Very good Nature around here.

Thanks all. Hairster and ST I tried it to see what it would look like. Right now I only used one tuft and may add some more if I feel it needs it a little later. I would like to put in some weeds near the water line, but don't have anything that would be the right height to simulate it and don't know if I will have time to get out to the store to buy any before I have to turn this in

here is a quick "crappy" shot of itName:  20190823_183455.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  138.2 KBName:  20190823_183510.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  148.8 KB
    Last edited by ekipage; 08-23-2019 at 06:46 PM.

I love this mini! Beautiful work.