Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something - Page 18
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something

Man, the ridiculously small scale deserves extra points. I have a stack of gremlins I just look at cross eyed and never start. Really nice skin ekipage but the purple skirt takes the cake.

Good work on these fragile small arms mate. The girl is going to look fantastic!

As for resin interacting with other materials, I have never had any problems.
    From what I understand you are worried about resin not staying where it is and/or seeping through the base?
    You can seal almost anything waterproof enough with a bit of PVA, even thin it down 1:1 with water.
    If you have the $$$ (ok, more like $) you can always just buy some modge podge (which some people believe *is* watered-down PVA).
    Once the PVA dries, it is waterproof.

Did I understand / address your concern?

Thanks Bullfrog and Gorb really appreciate the comments on the latest figure (even if it takes me an abominably long time to paint)

Gorb, yes that sums up what I was inquiring about. The problem I had was that videos just tended to show them putting some liquid down but they never really explained that it was just PVA glue. I needed to find a pouring resin for the complete noob video and apparently just couldn't find one. I was also a bit hesitant because I wasn't sure how "liquid" the resin would act, i.e. like water or is it thicker as the PVA would loosen up if pour water in it if I am not mistaken as it is not inherently waterproof. Eh, worse case is that I spent $14 on a think of flex paste but it is supposed to be water resistant so should "over" protect me I think

Yes, there is a lot of assumptions about the viewer's experience in these videos.
    In general, resins come in a range of different thicknesses, the regular casting resins are very thin and flow very well. They don't dissolve cured PVA.
    It is great that you are experimenting though, there is no better way to learn.
    I am looking forward to what you make out of the flex paste!

Gorb, well the only reason I bought the flex paste was that as I understand it PVA glue will soften up if water is put on it, so I wasn't sure how long that would take to actually occur and since not really knowing enough about resin (only that it starts a liquid) I wasn't sure if PVA would be sufficient to pour the resin over top of without it soaking through. So the flex paste is supposed to be water resistant which would give a better capacity to withstand the resin (at least as I understood it prior to all of my searching). That being said, I will probably use the flex paste to coat the bottom of the stream I want to create for the base. Some where around page 1 - 5 (edit found it on page 1 post #14) on this thread there is the one guy with a paintbrush in his hand wearing the long jacket. I want to do a landscape type mini dio for it. I already built an easel and have some card stock to paint a rough scene on so I wanted to have it like maybe some pasture land with a stream flowing through it and he is painting what is beyond the basing.
    Last edited by ekipage; 06-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I want to do a landscape type mini dio for it. I already built an easel and have some card stock to paint a rough scene on so I wanted to have it like maybe some pasture land with a stream flowing through it and he is painting what is beyond the basing.
    Sounds like it would be a fantastic little dio!

If you are worried about the resin soaking through the base, even with PVA or the flex paste, put the base into an aluminium foil tray or something similar before applying the resin. That way if it does seep through it won't mess up your dining table. Then go for it! Whatever you do you'll either figure out how to do it now, or figure how to do it next time

Thanks for the encouragement! It was really my complete lack of knowledge of resin that had me baffled on this. The flex paste if by Woodland Scenics and they actually recommend it as the "sealer" layer on the board for the resin pour part. Mine is going to be fairly small though as it will only be 4 or so inches long. But you are correct, I will either get it right or it will all go horribly wrong

Okay, think I am about ready to wrap this little lady up (just need to decide if I am going to paint the spikes on her crop in metallic or leave them as they are). And then the fun bit about trying to glue those damn arms on....and crap, just realized I still have the bow for the back of the dress to do....
    Name:  20190627_215430.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  100.9 KBName:  20190627_215731.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  75.0 KBName:  20190627_215746.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  46.3 KB

Okay finally got to the bow for the back of the dress. The end is near (I hope)! Got it based and tinted, just need to develop deeper shadow
    Name:  20190629_200454.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  90.9 KB

Okay, finished with the bow (or at least where I am tired of messing around with it) and glued it on:
    Name:  20190630_115329.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  89.5 KBName:  20190630_115338.jpg
Size:  82.5 KBName:  20190630_115347.jpg
Size:  75.2 KBName:  20190630_115354.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  85.5 KB

*Those pics are quite large, these are closer to actual size of the figure (pics are maybe just a hair larger):
    Name:  20190630_115329-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  15.3 KBName:  20190630_115338-1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  15.1 KB
    *Depending on the size of your monitor
    Now to get those damn arms glued on...
    I also think there is a touch too much blue shift in my cell phone pics as the colors seem a hair off from what I am actually looking at.
    Last edited by ekipage; 06-30-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Hat off to ya, this is looking great, and the size....WOW!

its really a little bigger, but that is how it feels to me after doing some of the GW stuff

This looks super good eki! Respect, for seeing it through to the almost-end. The result will be worth it!

Thanks Gorb, Arkhan and KB. Still not happy with the face, but damn if the hair line and I think there is a weird mold line or just a line on the left side of the face that is throwing me off.

Well, got the arms glued on, again not completely happy, but not too bad. But I can see it when I look at those bend in the arm
    Name:  20190704_160529.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  41.6 KBName:  20190704_160541.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  47.9 KB

Looking really cool. I love the pastel tones you’ve chosen on this one. That’s something I may try myself at some point.
    You should be proud of this one!

Thanks ST. I am happy with it (I really like the dress bit) but was a little bummed I missed that one line on her left cheek (you can see it on the right side of the photo right where the hair and face meet). It kept throwing me because I knew something didn't look right, but I thought it was just the paint until I realized there was that bit of flash, mold line, whatever there that was throwing me off. And slightly bummed about the arms (they were a royal pain in the a$$ to glue on by the way) as there is that line around the join area. Would have been so much easier if the hands and crop were a separate part as it is so tiny it was hard to get it lined up with worrying about the paint and all.

She’s Malifaux, right? I won some in a painting contest, demoed the game at that convention, and bought a bunch more, thinking the models were cool and the game was cool, so why not?
    Long story short, I put one model together (like, the chunkiest one!), despaired of the rest, and now I want to sell the stuff I have for whatever pittance I’ll get.
    It’s not really the size, as RBG are super small, too. It’s the million parts, the brittleness of the plastic, and the insane delicacy of some of it.
    Moral of the semi-long story: yeah, I feel you, man,

One of your best eki. Def one of your best. Beutifully painted,clean and tidy. What more could you ask for.