Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something - Page 15
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something

ok, the video show exactly what the plastic putty is: kinda like PVA glue
    So yes you are most likely better off using just a wet brush to squeeze it into any cracks and holes, and cleaning up the excess.
    Looks like it is sandable though, so you could wrap some fine grit sandpaper around a skewer or a toothpick and work on what you have now.
    Fine grit sanding sponges may also work.

You are right though, live and learn!

Yeah, I managed to get it cleaned up a little, but I think I tried too soon as I think it pulled out some of the putty as the seam is noticeable especially on one side of the figure. Anyway, I just wanted to paint it so moving on from my screw up with plastic putty here is where she currently stands (top and skirt are based in the colors I want to work on, flesh is about 50% completed)

Name:  20190518_185939.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  57.1 KBName:  20190518_190008.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  60.8 KBName:  20190518_190001.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  20190522_213654.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  60.0 KB Okay, I am not happy with her face for some reason. I think it because it doesn't look right near the edges of the cheeks and hairline. Otherwise just playing with some shading and highlighting to see if it is working right now. Any comments or critiques would be appreciated
    Ah ha, I think I see part of my problem. It looks like I got the hair color on her cheek on the right side of the picture and the skin color on her hair on the left side (F$$$ng tiny figures!)
    Last edited by ekipage; 05-23-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Name:  20190522_213654.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  60.0 KBIt looks like I got the hair color on her cheek on the right side of the picture and the skin color on her hair on the left side
    Looks like you found what was bothering you
    The dress looks great, and the skin and hair color work together nicely.
    Nice work on the eyes and eyebrows!

How in gods great name did you get those eyebrows.:-0

I love that expression you achieved with the eyebrow. In the Malifaux vernacular I think you could call it ‘saucy’!

Thanks all.
    @Gorb, yeah, getting a larger image definitely helped figure out what was bothering me. Even with magnification headset this figure is so small (it is 28mm, but there isn't a lot to it considering all the detail they got into the thing) it was hard for me to tell.

@BAM, a size 1 brush from Rosemary & Co (they seem to run smaller than WN7 or Raphael's) and a whole bucket full o' luck! Probably should stop painting until it has a chance to fill up again And thinned down black paint

@SaintToad, well she does have a crop or whip type device in her hands...

Still don't like her eyes though (more specifically the right one - left side of picture- as it came out a little too big, but that eye seems to be smaller and partly closed compared to the other one so was a tad difficult trying to paint it.
    Last edited by ekipage; 05-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.

The face is looking great. Seems like she's going to critisize someone soon for something :-)

hehe, yeah, and when I get her arms with the riding crop put on, then it will be more like she will be getting ready to punish someone

Lol 50 Shades of Malifaux?

Looks great, and just estimating the size you've been working with, I've got even more respect for what you've done thus far. Also, you've sparked my interest in the Malifaux models, so thank you for that!

Keep it coming!

Ha, thanks Beebs. Yeah, they do have some nice models they frustrate the heck out of me because they are so thin (at least these figures) compared to say a Space Marine, but I am trying to get my brush control a little better and trying to do these finer ones helps with the others.
    As a comparison, here is a Plaque marine I have been doing for "a while" compared to this one
    Name:  20190525_054825.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  126.2 KBName:  20190525_054909.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  127.9 KB So yeah, she is about 1/3rd as wide as the SM

Nice work on these realistically proportioned 28mm minis. They are more challenging that the heroically scaled minis from GW and Reaper.

I totally agree, those Malifaux models really demonstrate how much "scale creep" there's been (mostly thanks to Games Workshop)!

Thanks KB and Dr. B. Yeah the heroic scale do seem so much larger after painting these. So just a little work done today mostly on the skirt. I also changed the bow as I didn't like the grey (but I am keeping the grey on the shirt ruffles and lower trim at the waist)
    Name:  20190526_215103.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  37.1 KBName:  20190526_215121.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  36.2 KBName:  20190526_215233.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  42.5 KB

Totally agree with you on the Malifaux range, very delicate and thin but a load of fun to paint and full of character. I managed to complete 2 full crews! Which is unheard of for me ha

Okay, I added a picture of the female assassin I did a few months ago to try out this gallery thingy. Lets see where this goes
    If you care to vote, here is the link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...c6d0a41774.jpg
    (Not sure how long it takes to clear the "waiting" status though)
    AND how does it have a score of 6 when it isn't even in the actual system? It still shows it as waiting but there is one vote on it (and I didn't vote)???
    Last edited by ekipage; 05-27-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Okay, I added a picture of the female assassin I did a few months ago to try out this gallery thingy. Lets see where this goes
    If you care to vote, here is the link: http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...c6d0a41774.jpg
    (Not sure how long it takes to clear the "waiting" status though)
    AND how does it have a score of 6 when it isn't even in the actual system? It still shows it as waiting but there is one vote on it (and I didn't vote)???
    You automatically vote when you upload and 6 is the default. Off to vote now.

edit: looks like it isn’t live yet and the link just goes to her picture and not a voting page. If this is your first upload to the gallery, it may be waiting on moderator approval.
    Last edited by KruleBear; 05-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.

ah, okay. I didn't think it would let you vote on your own entry
    How long does it take to go live? (or is that an admin has to approve it first?)

@Sigmar, yeah they are fun to paint, but really frustrating at the same time with all that detail
    Last edited by ekipage; 05-27-2019 at 08:58 PM.

ah, okay. I didn't think it would let you vote on your own entry
    How long does it take to go live? (or is that an admin has to approve it first?)

@Sigmar, yeah they are fun to paint, but really frustrating at the same time with all that detail
    it is working now. And this should be the correct link. http://www.coolminiornot.com/438161?browseid=7612709

Like most of us, you need to keep working on eyes. Just using an off white instead of bright white for the eye ball would be a big help (it took me a long time to believe that advice) ..

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Like most of us, you need to keep working on eyes. Just using an off white instead of bright white for the eye ball would be a big help (it took me a long time to believe that advice) ..
    KB, Thanks for the putting up the correct link (I will add it after this). Hmm, I can't remember but I thought I did use one of my off-whites (it is a blueish-white) by Reaper. I think it is called Ghost White. Didn't notice that the eyes came off so "white" in the photo before.
    Last edited by ekipage; 05-28-2019 at 08:31 AM.