Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something - Page 31
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something

Looking great, bud. This is a fabulous project.

The stylized painting on the bust is neat and the snow globe will be cool. I thought they just used glitter for the snow, so I may be learning something here.

And congrats on the new toy ::

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Yeah, all the sites I found for them basically recommended the use of Distilled water and the glycerin and about half recommended adding a couple drops of Isopropyl to it to help keep the water from going cloudy over time. So yeah, the alcohol is basically to sterilizing the water and probably help with whatever item you put in as that might be less "clean" than the distilled water.
    That's a good point, the model may bring its own impurities, especially because you may have fingerprints (basically, sweat & body oil and bacteria) on there. So a good idea to maybe wash the model in some soapy water after the final topcoat/sealant, before putting it into the globe...

Thanks alot ST, yeah hopefully I can get it all to work without destroying my figure

KB, thank you and yeah the bust is looking kinda weird, and I don't really know where I am going with it, but kinda fun just messing about to see what I get. I think a lot of them now do just use glitter, but I wanted something like I remember more as a kid and they used to have larger chunks (still don't really know what they heck it is though) so it is kind of like small white pebbles.

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    That's a good point, the model may bring its own impurities, especially because you may have fingerprints (basically, sweat & body oil and bacteria) on there. So a good idea to maybe wash the model in some soapy water after the final topcoat/sealant, before putting it into the globe...
    I still have to run another test, going to see what Matte varnish does when I put it under water (see if it goes milky like the gloss did). What I will probably do is gloss half of the jester figure and matte the other half and see if there is a difference. I will probably let it all dry for several days though to make sure that the gloss I put on the snow didn't go milky looking because I put it in the water before it completely dried. So right now I am stumped at a top coat unless I just do an epoxy resin coating on it

Man that Gobbo globe is gonna be sick... can’t wait to see it done! I think others have raised good points for your snow globe, I wonder if there’s any type of clearcoat out there for marine usage? Or something non water based so you wouldn’t have to worry about it? That’s all I’d add but I’m sure you’ve already looked into it. I think you said something about epoxy resin and that may be a good route

Thanks Sik, yeah, I have looked at a bunch of stuff and just not sure which to use (too many options and some not sure about). I think I am just going to use epoxy and brush it on that way it is just a thin layer but should protect it. Only issue is that it will then have a glossy appearance and I was kind of hoping to keep it more matte. I still need to test the matte varnish under water though, so maybe it will work as well.

As for the figure, getting in the final stretches (and need to hop to it if I want to take it to the local GW tomorrow)
    Body is pretty much done except for gluing it all together. Really just have the lid for the one chest and the one pocket for the jacket to do (those have both been primed and just waiting to dry)
    Name:  20191226_225125.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  114.3 KBName:  20191226_225307.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  92.5 KBName:  20191226_225152.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  57.9 KB
    Not really happy with the goggle lenses, but probably should have either sanded them down or filled in to make flatter as it was a bit of a PITA to paint them since they made them like two really freaking tiny domes. And the stripe work on the gun barrel isn't the greatest either, maybe should have used some frisket or modelling tape to block them in

This is my favorite of your pieces so far and I’d say your best. Yeah, you may have some areas you know you could improve, but top to bottom it’s an awesome paint job on a model that could easily look cluttered & chaotic. Great job, bud!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 12-27-2019 at 09:01 PM.

It’s not just your best red it’s one of the best reds I’ve aeen on the site!!!

Thanks ST! Yeah, it's about time I improved some
    Thanks BAM, although I personally don't think it is one of the best reds, I really appreciate the comment a lot

Okay so basically done for now (at least going to take it to the store comp tomorrow this way) well maybe I will actually glue his foot down first and just need to add some snow effect to it.
    Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  82.2 KBName:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  61.4 KB
    Sorry if the photos are a little on the bright side messing with the new camera format and damn things won't open in my usual programs so had to download a new one and not familiar with it yet.

and probably last update on this guy until I figure out what I am doing to put it in a snow globe
    I may touch up some spots, but for now I consider it done
    Name:  20191227_215511.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  75.6 KBName:  20191227_215600.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  80.5 KB
    (don't know why one photo is darker than the other as they were both taken under same light conditions...stoopid phone camera)

So, I didn't win the painting contest at the local GW store. Funny enough I lost to a guy who put his in a snow globe

Evem if you didn't win, the fella is looking very nice :-)

Great paintjob on this little guy ekipage!
    Sorry about not winning, but then again he is looking mighty fine so definitely a personal win for you.
    I would still love to see him stuck inside a snowglobe

Thanks Graishak
    Thanks Gorb, and yes I still plan to put him in a snow globe. Actually I was testing the matte varnish in water (the jester fella got some gloss and matte varnish) and it looks like the matte varnish doesn't cloud up under water like the gloss does (or at least it isn't as noticeable). I think I am going to try some matte over the gloss varnish and see if that reduces or gets rid of that milky appearance that the gloss takes on under water. If that doesn't work, then I will try the epoxy resin.

Yeah, I’m with Chris in the ‘personal win’ camp. This guy is very, very cool and well painted. Power through with the project!

That’s a fantastic model you worked on
    there!!! You have done it again mate -leveled up again!!!

Thanks ST and BAM. I am quite proud of the Red Gobbo and I really appreciate all the great comments on him over his painting journey. In the meantime (while I figure out how best to put him in a snow globe....)

here is my next figure
    Name:  20191229_210744.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  72.5 KB

And getting back to this little lady
    Name:  20191229_210931.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  53.3 KB

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and looking forward to all the great painting and general crafting improvement from everyone!
    Thank you all for your helpful comments and critiques throughout this past year!
    Last edited by ekipage; 12-31-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Really nice work on the gobo! sorry you didnt get the win! its a really great paint job.
    I like how the Magus is starting! Nice work!

tee

Happy new Year Eki :-) This year the x-mas competition is yours.
    And nice to see, that the Borg-lady found it back on your working pipe :-)