Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something - Page 47
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Eki's WIPs - finally got the gumption to post something

I think it was a wise choice to change the dress color. The blue contrasts well with the darker skin. But to be honest I have no experience painting non-caucasian skintones though, so you are on your own
    It is looking great so far though, keep going!

These green eyes look very nice and well done. Carry on mate!
    Last edited by Kallfa; 01-18-2021 at 05:19 AM.

This is insanely well done!!!

Much appreciated Gorb, Kallfa, and BAM!

@Gorb, first time with a darker skin tone myself, so yeah just kind of free-wheeling it. I think it turned out respectively well though especially for a first attempt and guessing which colors would work best and then playing with some mixes which included adding some Vallejo Salmon Rose (I think that is the color) and and Reaper Royal Purple and then trying to remember approximate ratios

@Kallfa, thank you! I wasn't sure how the green eyes would look but think it is a nice contrast with the skin tones. Now they aren't the best eyes compared with some of the very talented people out there, but I am quite pleased with them.

@BAM, I wouldn't say it is extremely well done (compared to a lot of very talented people's work out there) but I am really happy with it so far.

I should have another shot up later tonight. Only problem I have right now is I am not sure how I want to paint the rectangular pieces around the face. I really want to try some nmm but fear I will screw it up. Going to have to watch some videos on nmm before those get finished.
    Last edited by ekipage; 01-18-2021 at 04:25 PM.

And a slight update. Pretty happy with the skin and eyes now so will probably leave those alone unless I overwork them and ruin it. Now I am trying to get the clothing bits done up and not sure if I like the blue I chose for the shadow part, feels like it is missing something to me...maybe I just need to lighten it up just a touch but not sure just yet as maybe if I get the whole thing done it will look better to me
    Name:  20210118_172842.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  174.2 KB

I love the way how you did the eyes. If you put some varnish onto those, they're like real ones. Great work!

Thank you Graishak! I actually do plan on putting gloss varnish over the eyes

Okay, bit of a struggle here. I am not really liking the darker tone for the clothing but not sure how I want it to actually look (not sure if it is too blah or if I need to lighten it up just a touch). I don't mind the bit on the top of the breast part, so maybe just a glaze of the paynes grey ink will fix the rest....well here goes nothing

Name:  20210123_185052.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  192.1 KB

This looks amazing ekipage, I love the eyes too - you nailed them.
    The dark skin tone also looks great.

Regarding the clothing, maybe change the hue a tad (make it warmer or colder) in the shadows? In my (limited) experience, adding a darker tone sometimes just makes things look washed out unless the warmth also changes.

Thanks Gorb, I think that was it. I started glazing some purple into the shadow bits and it is starting to look better imo. Will put a pick up a little later

Trying to get the shaded areas to where I like them. Think this is going in the right direction. Added some dark purple glazes over the darkest areas to change the tone a little bit and mixed some purple in with the base color to get some lighter violet for the transition areas.
    Name:  20210124_175209.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  141.6 KB

Most definitely the right direction! I really like this project. Love the eyes!

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

I quite positive this will be a ine of your best project - it’s brilliant Eks!!!’

Thanks Tiki and BAM. The only thing I don't like about it right now is part of the back of her hood (I feel that I don't have the shaded area quite right) and how bad it looks (to me at least) when I see it this size, since the bust is about half the size of the pic on my monitor. Otherwise, Going to take another swing at nmm (probably) for the bits around her face (hair, beads, plates...really not sure what they are supposed to be). And then using some fluo paints for the white bits

Well the hood looks good from the front. Work something else and come back to the hood. As for the square bits around her face, I was wondering about those myself when I last looked at your pics. Do you mind a suggestion?Name:  892f656d34962e6d60f2e3a4dd34ad7e.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  28.6 KB

“A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks FT. Funny you post that as I have been leaving those for last as I wasn't sure if I wanted to do nmm, tmm or paint them like some kind of stones. Will probably mess a bit with the back as it just really bothers me and then get to the hair/jewelry pieces. I thought I put up a pic of the back, well I have now. It is mostly the indented part in the centerish of the hood. I don't like the color or the transition to it yet and just not sure why so not sure how to "fix" it
    Name:  20210125_184940.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  133.0 KB
    Maybe it just reads as still too blue to me so that is what is bothering me, but can't quite put my finger on it yet

I don't know what has you disturbed here. Perhaps just the fact that you are used to seeing so much happening on this model and the rear is relatively plain. I really don't see anything wrong. Keep at it though, I am sure you'll find whats been bugging you given enough time.

Leonardo da Vinci

Not sure myself so that is kind of irritating. Although you might be right that it is the fact of it just being not much going on on the back of the model. It is starting to grow on me though so don't know if I will try to significantly change it all that much. But the picture you put up of the necklace got me thinking and I might try for something like this to blend it with the green of the eyes and the purple tone:
    Name:  Jade.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  70.5 KB

Okay, I think I am done with the cloth and skin so just the hair/necklace bits and the white lines on her to go. I am just debating whether or not to highlight all of the texture in the fabric and if I want to paint a design onto the fabric, nothing elaborate but just to give it a little extra oomph. Anyway here is where she is at right now
    Name:  20210126_215214.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  122.9 KBName:  20210126_215200.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  98.1 KBName:  20210126_215135.jpg
Size:  119.6 KBName:  20210126_215120.jpg
Size:  87.0 KB

Started basing on the hair/beads things. By the way, mixing pastel green is a pain in the butt. Consolation though as I like the color I got
    Name:  20210128_211237.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  133.2 KB