New to the hobby of mini's and painting!

Thread: New to the hobby of mini's and painting!

Default New to the hobby of mini's and painting!

Hey everyone. New to the hobby, and painting. I've never picked up a paintbrush in my life. These are my first attempts at painting mini's. I love the paint I have (citadel), but the brushes I bought were very cheap and I'm not impressed. Do brushes make a big difference in how these things come out? Thanks in advance for the comments. Remember these are my very FIRST EVER.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Welcome
    Yes brushes are very important. But that's doesn't mean go out and buy a set of expensive ones.
    Just one or two quality brushes will be enough while using cheaper brushes for base work, mixing etc.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Agreed with 10ball, brushes make a big difference, they won't necessarily make you an amazing painter but the cheap ones tend not to behave themselves very well. Since you're brand new there's nothing wrong with getting some o the GW brushes, for the most part they're decent enough without breaking the bank too much, if you decide to stick with the hobby then look into investing into some of the more expensive brushes,the price is misleading because they might cost more up front but with good care they will last longer than most of the cheaper miniature company brushes (like GW or army painter)

As for your minis you're of to a decent start, certainly better than my first minis but it looks like you could use more colours, the collection will mount up if you stick with it but when I was getting back into the hobby I'd buy colours based on the project, luckily there's the internet now and a ton of useful YouTube channels and pages to help new painters. I guess the first place to start for you if you wanted to improve would be shading and highlighting

Definitely agree with 10ball and sicks, quality of brush definitely makes a difference, but as sicks mentioned having good brushes won’t necessarily make you a great painter... that takes much practice... personally I have only one or two really good brushes (which I rarely use), I generally buy a heap of medium quality brushes, not miniature brand or anything.. just good quality fine tipped brushes from an art supply store... these are about $6-$10 (AUD) each and I use the hell out of them until they are knackered... I generally use one or two per mini I paint, and then find they lose their tip, and then become mixing brushes or I cut the tip in half and they become small drybrushes...
    As far as you minis go, as a first attempt they are excellent, great brush control and smooth coats... looks like your a natural... all you have to do now is search YouTube etc and start practicing highlighting and shading techniques to get your minis look awesome... that’s all this is about, practice practice and more practice!!!

1st off very nice crisp work well done

Bang on Chaotic, I mostly use D.A.S Pure Red Sable they are $7 down at the local art supply shop last about 6 months and are great for everything.
    What Size? 0-1-2 is all I use mainly 2 for base coat 1 for detail and 0 of tiny bits. But its the tip that is important a nice point that stays is key.

Every one has their own style decide what you like and start replicating that. Have a little look at youtube here is one of the videos that started to click with me.

A little wash (diluted paint) or you can buy special washes that you can brush over the top of your mini and it will settle in the recesses of the jumper and the wings of the serpent.

Happy Painting

Thanks for the information everyone. I really enjoyed painting these two. I’ve never gotten into table games, but MoM2E is a blast. Now Warhammer 40K is starting to appeal. Never played it but looks like fun to collect and play. The painting looks fun on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post

As for your minis you're of to a decent start, certainly better than my first minis but it looks like you could use more colours, the collection will mount up if you stick with it but when I was getting back into the hobby I'd buy colours based on the project, luckily there's the internet now and a ton of useful YouTube channels and pages to help new painters. I guess the first place to start for you if you wanted to improve would be shading and highlighting

Definitely will get more colors. Like I said these were my very first so I didn’t invest much into the colors. Bought 4 citadel colors and cheapo brushes and some gray primer. But I plan on getting more very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny View Post
    1st off very nice crisp work well done

Bang on Chaotic, I mostly use D.A.S Pure Red Sable they are $7 down at the local art supply shop last about 6 months and are great for everything.
    What Size? 0-1-2 is all I use mainly 2 for base coat 1 for detail and 0 of tiny bits. But its the tip that is important a nice point that stays is key.

Every one has their own style decide what you like and start replicating that. Have a little look at youtube here is one of the videos that started to click with me.

A little wash (diluted paint) or you can buy special washes that you can brush over the top of your mini and it will settle in the recesses of the jumper and the wings of the serpent.

Happy Painting
    Thanks for the compliment. I truly enjoyed the process. Definitely going to be going further with the hobby.

Welcome to the forum and your paint place looks good, especially for just getting started. You already got good afvice on brushes, so I will just add to take care of them. Avoid getting paint in the ferrule and wash thoroughly with water. Occasionally do a derp clean with brush soap or hair conditioner (assuming sable or natural fiber bristles).

Thank you for the tip.

Hey, I'm going to chime in here as well simply because I'm in the process of painting MoM as well. Like others have said, your off to a good start for just starting out. Things to look for that will help give your minis a little more pop without any extra work from you is some GW shades or the army painter quick shade stuff. It will add depth to your mini, but will also darken it overall. It's a nice way to give your paintjobs a little better look, but not something you need to continue to lean on because you won't improve.

I'm still pretty new to painting as well so I'm no where near the level that some of these people are but I do feel like my stuff is at least a step above beginner. Feel free to check out my thread or Kuribo's. He also has some MoM miniatures that he has painted.

As for the brushes, yes they make a pretty descent difference. I started with one of the more expensive brands that hobby lobby carry and now I'm using the Broken Toad sable brushes. The biggest difference I have notices is the more expensive brushes have a much nicer tip on them which gives you more detail control. Just play around, keep practicing and don't be scared or ashamed to show your work on here.