Thread: Color suggestion for spots

Default Color suggestion for spots

Trying to create some two-tone spots for my Nids, kinda like this:
    Name:  m0hlFf4m.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  19.0 KB

But using a pinkish-red for skin and blue/black for carapace. Looks like this so far (WIP):
    Name:  QzpfqIcl.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  59.8 KB

I suck at this, what colors would make nice two-tone spots on the Tervigon above?
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Last edited by amrogers3; 01-09-2018 at 01:04 AM.

because of pink-red I'd try something green.
    As for green you'd have a choice of a muted or vivid one.
    muted (VGC colors): OliveGreen - CamoGreen or lighter: camogreen - deadflesh
    vivid (VGC colors): DarkGreen - GoblinGreen or lighter: GoblinGreen - Scorpy or even livery green
    Forgot, that it works again.

Something about the coloration made me think of the blue-ringed octopus.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  Blue-Ringed-Octopus-Eyes.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  149.9 KB

Huh. Well, I do not know why the images came up so small. You can probably look up your own online.

As you can see, the spots have sharply delineated rings: a dark outer ring, and then an intense almost fluorescent blue inner ring which fades rapidly to a pinkish color at the center.

Those are cool.

Finding that spots are definitely hard to master. You can't have thick paint and once you thin it down, you can't go over the exact same place multiple times to build up the paint. You inevitability will go outside the area you want to paint and it will create a lighter muted color that will need cleanup. Then you clean it up and run into the same problem the other way.

It's almost like you would need a stencil and airbrush but trying a apply a stencil to an irregular shape like a Tyranid carapace is next to impossible. Beside the fact I can't find a stencil in the first place.

I would try to use more opaque pigments if you can. Things like the iron oxide-based colors, or something with a good bit of white in it.

I’ve found that for spots the easiest thing to do is make a solid of the outermost color, then fill it in with successively smaller spots of contrasting colors to leave ring effects, ruthlessly wiping away anything that isn’t just right with a clean wet brush just as soon as you see it isn’t right.

(I paint eyes that way too)

For something like the pictures I showed, it might be doable to first paint a black solid, then paint a brilliant white spot over that just inside the black border to leave a black ring, then take a perfectly transparent blue (these are mostly based on the copper phthalo pigments) and glaze the white, not worrying about getting it over the black because it would be effectively invisible. Then a softer pinkish-grey more or less matching the skin tone can be blended out from the center of the spot to leave a ring of bright blue inside a ring of black. If that makes sense to you.