Graishak WIP - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Graishak WIP

Excellent work danielson !!!

Wow really great idea and really awesome conversion. Love it already

Excellent work danielson !!!
    /sign

Awesome, I love the grot on the cart thats so cool!

Thanks for your kind responses.

Kick-off last night. Some basic layers done.
    Will add lots of gold to the sleigh, santa will get a classic
    red/white dress, ... road and stones will get some Glimmer
    effect. To be continued ...
    Name:  010FDE94-4678-41D5-A038-3CC94B5C3C90.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  647.2 KB

Love it, man! Great concept & conversion. I can't wait to see it come together with some festive painting!

This gobbo is looking great. I can't wait to see an update on it as well. It should be a very merry GW Christmas piece

Little update. Moving forward
    Name:  9D71573C-09BC-4D82-BACD-E4DC6AC66231.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  767.7 KB

Haha I love it!!! Very cool concept and the paint work is looking great.

Lololol now truly folks where else other than these forums can you see a festive project dedicated to st nick and his tales of frost ,Rudolph , and the lot of them. All while goblins are the focus .....great great stuff.! Thanks y

Stuck in painting limbo under a pile of unpainted minis

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Lololol now truly folks where else other than these forums can you see a festive project dedicated to st nick and his tales of frost ,Rudolph , and the lot of them. All while goblins are the focus .....great great stuff.! Thanks y
    Oh, you should have put three nurglings on top of each other and made them like a snowman! Otherwise, this is looking great Graishak!

95% done
    @Eki: A Nurgling Snowman will be considered for the 2019 project :-)

Any hints from you folks, what to improve for finalization?
    Name:  IMG_7064.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  1.19 MBName:  IMG_7065.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  1.48 MBName:  IMG_7066.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  953.4 KBName:  IMG_E7068.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  961.3 KB

Alrighty bud. Here’s some things you can consider for the future events. If I had to find anything about this piece to possibly help you level up ide say this:1) the paint on the cane and the arachnid for example, like the flames on the skull pattern for eg, is a bit too thick. The mainstay of painting minis is to keep the paint thinned. You must find the balance between the paint on the brush and the way it flows into the model. If too thick, thin it more. If too watery add more paint. Simply. At the end of the day this I feel is the most important skill bud.;(
    BaM

As BAM mentioned there is potential for technical improvements, but the composition and styling is awesome!

maybe add some gifts to be delivered...colorfully wrapped bombs perhaps

I would say do the whole path in snow (it is Santa Gobs after all) for the sleigh

@BaM:

Diluation work done... something like this? ;-)

@Eki: nice hint, will add more white powder
    Name:  Improve.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  136.1 KB
    Last edited by Graishak; 12-09-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Really looks great. You had a lot of good ideas on this one. Love the little details like for example santas book or the bag with presents

Diluation work done... something like this? ;-)
    Jap the freehand looks pretty good but the white on the teeth seems to be a little thick again.
    But not as bad as on the cane. The color gets to thick when the paint itself becomes 3D ^^ On the cane you can really see little "paint hills". That's too much. If the paint doesn't cover over black, it's better to use several thinner coats.
    Especially light colours with white mixed in tend to cover better then you would probably expect, even with just 2-3 thin coats
    Much harder are saturated colours like red or especially yellow.

When you're having trouble to get coverage with yellow or red, mix some white to it to get a good base layer with a few coats. Over that coat you can then paint your yellow/red/ whatever.
    Adding white works because 99% of acrylic whites that are sold (just my estimation) are titanium white which is a very opaque pigment.

As BaM already wrote, getting the "right" thinnig ratio is feeling. It highly depends on what paints you are using (within ranges even different tones need more or less).
    So giving ratios like 1 drop paint with x drops water can be very misleading. From own experiance I can tell that a lot of beginners tend to use way to thin paints when they start thinning their paints ^^
    When I joined the "Church Of Thin Paints" I followed such a recipie like a fanatic disciple and glazed on base layer over base layer for ages xD
    Compared to that I use much thicker paint now.

So I think a better way to explain is to describe the properties.

The paint should flow easily from the brush to create even coats. They usually won't cover completely on the first go but you should see that you painted something on there. Most paints will probably cover with 2-3 layers.

It's probably best if you use an old brush to thin and mix your paints -> but I usually use my "paint brushes" -> yep I know it kills them ^^

The mixing routine itself isn't that scientific. I put some paint on my palatte, load my brush with water in the cup, dap it on an empty spot on te palatte to get rid of most of it and the mix the rest into the paint. If it's still to thick -> repeat
    The consistency is usually like milk, maybe a bit thicker.
    I then clean the brush. Wipe it, load it with paint. The important part then is to tuch your kitchen towel first to suck some of the liquid out of the brush. If your brush is to full you maybe flood the mini with too much paint that is hard to control.

So it's a bit try and error in the beginning but you'll probably get used to it pretty fast.

Creating transitions with layered glazes is another topic of its own But one step after the other ^^
    Last edited by CyAniDe; 12-09-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Completely love this project. The actual goblin Santa is perfect. Great sleigh!

@CyAniDe: Many thanks for that detailed instruction how to improve diluting the paints. Will be considered for any future painting. I started already with it, while finalizing the Santa project.
    Yep... the 3D paint on the cane was definitely technical failure - agreed. Will try my best to avoid this in the future.

@Saint: Many thanks.
    @All: Please find enclosed the finished project, which will hopefully score at the competition Dec-22nd

Loaded to the gallery:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/432873

Name:  IMG_7091.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  990.0 KBName:  IMG_7096.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  1.50 MBName:  IMG_7094.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.05 MB

Wow great work. It really turned out great

Reserve it a special place in your cabinet !

Best of luck at the competition. I think it will do well! One other detail I think is missing (or at least nice to add) is Santa-Gob's sack full of toys...er, I mean skulls for all the bad little girls and boys. You might be able to make it pretty quick if you have a spare skull laying around and just get a small piece of burlap or some other cloth and fill it with cotton balls or something, tie the bag with some small sized ribbon and have the one skull peeking out the top, so all you would have to paint is the skull. It looks like you would have the room in the back of the sleigh for something like that. Or at least it is an idea for next year hopefully