How to paint yellow?

Thread: How to paint yellow?

Default How to paint yellow?

Hello,

Any advice on how to paint yellow? I've attached a picture of the piece I'm working on. It seems to have been shaded with an orange brown colour but I can't figure out exactly what it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Aver Land sunset base, xx yellow highlights, sepia or a grab shade.
    Forgot, that it works again.

You can also mix a little purple with the yellow base color to get the brownish shading too. Yellow and Purple are complimentary colors (opposite colors on the color wheel).

Quote Originally Posted by 3dken View Post
    You can also mix a little purple with the yellow base color to get the brownish shading too. Yellow and Purple are complimentary colors (opposite colors on the color wheel).
    I would have thought purple too. Gives a surprisingly nuanced shadow to bright yellows.

Personally I use Leather Brown. Snakebite preferred, if you still own some of that.

Army Painter sells a paint called Leather Brown which is a Snake Bite equivalent if you want to take Hendarion's advice.

If you know someone with a lot of white dwarf magazines there is half a chance that one of their eavy metal masterclasses covers exactly how that was painted. It might not be for that model, but there are plenty of painting articles featuring orks which may essentially be the same recipe. Particularly Bad Moon Orks.

Alternatively I think they sell painting guides for each army these days. I can't comment on whether they are actually worth it though.
    Last edited by Shady Character; 01-19-2018 at 08:17 PM.

There might be something on warhammer TV about it on YouTube, there's also someone on here called ghool who has a bunch of videos including difficult colours (I couldn't say for sure if he's done one on yellow but he might have)

I own a copy of eavy metal masterclass -The steps they use for yellow are as follows- averland sunset. Then shadelightly with dark flesh(or dark flesh with a Lil scorched brown added in.) then Reapply averland sunset,then highlight with yriel yellow than last Kay highlight with flashgitz yellow. Than glaze the entirety of the area with extremly thinned yellow glaze.
    hope this helps mate.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I own a copy of eavy metal masterclass -The steps they use for yellow are as follows- averland sunset. Then shadelightly with dark flesh(or dark flesh with a Lil scorched brown added in.) then Reapply averland sunset,then highlight with yriel yellow than last Kay highlight with flashgitz yellow. Than glaze the entirety of the area with extremly thinned yellow glaze.
    hope this helps mate.
    curious - what do you mean by "a copy of eavy metal masterclass"? A WD issue?

I've seen 'EM members also do it this way: White bascoat, Averland, skrag shade, Yriel, Flash Gitz/Dorn Yellow and you can push further with white highlight

I think the book from 2011 is meant.
    eavy metal masterclass
    Games Workshop (2011)
    ISBN 10: 1907964320
    ISBN 13: 9781907964329
    Forgot, that it works again.