Scoots WIP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scoots WIP

Default Scoots WIP

I've never shared much of what I paint and even then it's only usually the finished mini(https://scoots1m.imgur.com/), so I thought I'd start sharing what I'm working on before it's done.

I'll start with a WIP that's very much nearly done, a house Terryn Knight. All the painting is done and all that's left is for me to do some weathering. It's not something I've tried my hand at before as I've always painted Space Marines and I like the clean look, but weathering does add character to a model so I'd like to get better at applying it.

Name:  DSC06482.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  745.3 KB
    Name:  DSC06478.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  765.2 KB
    Name:  DSC06479.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  788.4 KB
    Name:  DSC06480.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  716.5 KB
    Name:  DSC06481.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  834.8 KB
    Name:  DSC06495.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  918.4 KB

I've tried my hand at applying battle damage to an old bike i'm using for a base, which was done by brush rather than sponge, purely as i have no sponges to hand...

Name:  DSC06489.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  974.0 KB
    Name:  DSC06491.jpg
Size:  997.8 KB
    Name:  DSC06492.jpg
Size:  998.3 KB

I'm also working on a Tau Commander and Ghostkeel, as well as some Blood Raven Aggressors, but they are just in component form right now and aren't very interesting to look at so I'll share some pictures of them when it gets more interesting!

Looks great, my only issue with it is that the gold looks quite flat, needs some good high contrast to get that shiny look, just my opinion, can't help much on the weathering side, improved clean looking minis too

Aye i see what you mean, I did drybrush the upper edges of the gold with Silver but the Matte varnish i've used seems to have dulled it. I'll have to go over it again with a brush instead so it doesn't fade again when i seal in the weathering.

sweet jesus christ on a cracker that knight is magnificent
    if it's not a dwarf, i'm not interested.

Cheers Larry! Sadly I've not done any work on him since my last post as I'm waiting on weathering powders to arrive.

I've been grinding away at getting the basecoat onto the Tau Commander and Ghostkeel, now working on applying the washes.

Here's a couple of pics showing the before and after with washes.
    Name:  DSC06509.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  487.4 KB
    Name:  DSC06510.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  485.7 KB

I hate painting white, even if airbrushes make it much easier to get a smooth coat, it makes the smallest mistakes stand out even more! But at least edge highlighting will sort 99% of the unsightly tide marks.

Sorting out my next project as well, a Lieutenant for my Salamanders. I tried experimenting with airbrushing on highlights but while i like the end effect it doesn't quite match the green of my other marines. I've no idea how people manage to get such detailed gradients with an airbrush, think I'll stick to doing it by brush

Here he is next to a pair of legs and a fully painted marine. I'm hoping that once the details are painted then he'll start to fit in more.
    Name:  DSC06508.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  649.7 KB

Ghostkeel and commander are now finished, i didnt include much WIP of either of those but here's one of the finished shots for each. Looking much more tidy after highlights!

Name:  DSC06532.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  481.3 KB
    Name:  DSC06522.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  541.5 KB

I gave the lieutenant a cover with gloss varnish to protect the paint job, however what i didn't know is that gloss varnish makes it very hard for paint to stick to! So i gave him a coat of matte varnish to help the paint stick, and while it did for some colours, some didn't stick and I've had to give it another coat of varnish, here's hoping that's the final one for now!
    Name:  DSC06516.JPG
Size:  1.88 MB
    I had the wrong camera settings on for this one, which is why it's a bit darker than the one above.
    Name:  DSC06519.jpg
Size:  354.3 KB

The dark grey and brown is going to be NMM gold and silver, so it does look a bit dull right now. I prefer to get all the base colours down first rather than working on one to completion.

Ahhh, I do miss Tau. Very first models I ever painted (spray them red, paint the cloth black, done). They’re looking really nice and clean, superb smoothness. I would try pushing the highlights on the red a little further though.

Lieutenant’s looking great so far.

I'd normally push them a bit further but I'm painting the Tau up for a friend and he doesn't want too much time spent on each.

Finished the silver NMM on the lieutenant, although i think it needs a bit of a blue tint, so i might glaze over it with some thinned guilliman blue then redo the pure white highlights.

Pics here, lighting is different from the first pics as these are taken in the evening and i don't have a consistent lightbox setup.

Name:  DSC06537.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  456.4 KB
    Name:  DSC06540.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  455.6 KB
    Name:  DSC06541.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  421.1 KB
    Name:  DSC06542.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  446.8 KB

Painting the tiny bits between the teeth of the chainsword is a nightmare!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gold nearly completed now, just need to deepen the shadows a bit with some red glaze, and then re-do all the white highlights as they were all just hit with a yellow glaze, same goes for the silver as that was glazed with blue and needs re-shiny-ing.

Name:  DSC06549.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  379.4 KB
    Name:  DSC06551.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  407.1 KB

Not liking the skulls on this mini, every single one of them seems to have a different sculpt and it's a nightmare. The wreath on his leg is all broken and missing chunks from it as well. I forgot how much i hated finecast.

No matter the skull consistency, the models are looking great, mate!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks Meph & Canny!

Nearly done with this marine now, finished the silver, gold, green, and a few other bits n bobs last night. Just the parchment/Robe/Lenses to go, as well as deciding what to do on his empty shoulder pad.

Name:  DSC06557.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  483.7 KB
    Name:  DSC06559.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  468.8 KB
    Name:  DSC06556.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  546.8 KB

You may hate it, but your white on the Tau is beautiful. The marine is also looking very sharp.

Cheers! He's finished now, next time i'll choose a mini with a little less gold on when i'm doing NMM, it tends to be quite time consuming and i'm looking forward to painting something simpler

Name:  DSC06563.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  488.2 KB
    Name:  DSC06564.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  439.6 KB
    Name:  DSC06565.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  472.1 KB
    Name:  DSC06566.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  464.2 KB
    Name:  DSC06568.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  453.9 KB

Next up is some Tau drones and a Cadre Fireblade!

Long time no WIP! been painting stuff up too fast recently so i only have a few finished pictures to show.

Here's the Cadre Fireblade I last mentioned. I normaly paint the eyes on a mini, but i havent the fogiest what colours Tau should have their eyes painted...
    Name:  DSC06614.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  425.2 KB

I also painted up annother Lieutenant for an Imperial Fists commission, funnily enough it's the same base model as my previous Salamanders one. no NMM this time though.
    Name:  DSC06587.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  439.2 KB
    Name:  DSC06589.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  391.2 KB
    After that i tried my hand at weathering the Tau army i'd been painting, i feel like i should have used Black instead of Dark Brown (rhinox Hide) for the sponging, but the weathering power looks quite nice. I tried not to go too heavy on it all, any feedback on the weathering is apreciated as it's my first bash at it.
    Name:  DSC06637.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  597.1 KB
    Name:  DSC06644.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  625.9 KB
    Name:  DSC06647.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  612.5 KB

What i'm working on right now is a finecast Techmarine, so there's lots of bubbles and annoying little stuff all around the model. I was curious to try the Gloss Varnish + Gloss Wash trick, so after i airbrushed the red on i went for a gloss varnish, then gloss wash, then Matte varnish. However i'm not too fond of the outcome as it looks like it's going to be more effort that it's worth to go and de-glossify the crevises once i've finished.
    Name:  DSC06650.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  887.8 KB
    Name:  DSC06651.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  923.8 KB
    He's had all the base colours done, just needs shading and washes sorted out. The backpack arms are all magentised, as i was fairly sure if i glued them on they'd snap during transport due to how rubbish finecast is.

No one can agree on anything with Tau. Not even sure what colour their blood is, so I wouldn’t worry about the eyes.
    Rhinox hide works better for weathering I think. Black is really stark and looks a little unnatural. I’d think about maybe stippling some weathering behind the vents on that Devilfish or get some dirt streaks on there, just to break up that big clean white area a bit more.

Techmarine is nice. Finecast is rubbish, you’re right.

Ok i'll stick with brown for now then, it does look a lot better when it's dried, it just didnt look very good when i was sponging it on. I also cant belive i missed that giant vent in the middle of the tank, i've actualy got some black weathering powder which might make a good soot effect on there.

Techmarine done now. Happy with him, allthough not sure i should have gone for such bright cable colours. I also didnt put as much effort into the face as i normaly do, mostly as it's only half there, but also as it's finecast it doesnt seem to have the same detail as plastic.
    Name:  DSC06655.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  1.91 MB
    Name:  DSC06659.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  1.91 MB
    Name:  DSC06657.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  1.84 MB

Here's a few Salamander faces i've painted in the past for comparison. I'm welcome to any feedback on painting them, as i find it tough to get contrast and show detail what with them supposedly having charcoal faces. hard to shade black with more black...
    Name:  DSC06028_F.jpg
Size:  204.1 KB
    Name:  DSC06349_F.jpg
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  DSC06674_F.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  DSC06677_F.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  DSC06679_F.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  143.6 KB

I also forgot i finished 3 agressors that had been sitting on my desk since Christmas, these were the easy build ones, and despite their names they are a nightmare to build, especily if you paint in sub assembelys and dont test fit beforehand
    Name:  DSC06668.JPG
Size:  1.81 MB
    Name:  DSC06665.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  1.72 MB
    Name:  DSC06661.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  1.72 MB

Good stuff , nice looking marines . Good work

Yes, Blood Ravens!

Got a lot of time for anyone who paints Blood Ravens, nice work.

Nice output on awesome looking minis. The paint job on the Tau is very pleasing and crisp.