New to miniatures and looking for feed back

Thread: New to miniatures and looking for feed back

Default New to miniatures and looking for feed back

Hi, fairly new to painting mini's (i would say this is my 5th mini).
    I dont play table top so dont really get a chance to compare but i would love some feed back from people in the know.
    Picture is still waiting to upload so heres a link. Thanks.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/422479

Higher contrast, in terms of darker shades and brighter highlights. Also, contrast in terms of colour selection - you have this somewhat in the red and green, but the grey bones aren't bright enough. I would suggest switching to a bone, but note, this is specific to this miniature and other miniatures may actually benefit from the grey.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

The green skin is pretty well done. I would suggest pushing your highlights to pure white.

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    I would suggest pushing your highlights to pure white.
    why is this important? I saw the same advice from multiple people in threads, but why is this needed?
    Forgot, that it works again.

White is the lightest possible colour for a highlight, and contributes to contrast. While important, it isn't the alpha and omega, and one can achieve contrast through careful colour selection.

I'm not skilled enough to do this, but I remember seeing a model which was purely yellow and purple. The artist achieved great contrast by shading yellow with purple, and vice versa.

Funny you bring this up Maxxx, I too have noticed this statement in a few posts... now I was told by a brilliant painter a long time ago (not a miniature painter though), that you should never highlight to pure white and never shade down to black, as these are not “true” colours and do not exist in the real world we see... this could possibly be argued until the cows come home, but it is something I have always done since being taught this!!!

Hi guys, thanks for all the help it is appreciated. I was genuinely scared of highlighting to white as im looking for more realistic minis (i know its a fantasy model lol) but some you see out there look extremely real and not so cartoony. I have noticed though that a strong highlight gives great contrast.

I actually started this with a blue base coat and dark blue washes but lost all of that in the layers thanks to my crappy brush controll.

Sorry mate I didn’t actually comment on your mini... well let me just say, if this is the 5th mini you’ve ever painted you are off to a cracking start!!! You have some brilliant brush control, as in all the colours are where they should be, very nice clean lines. You also have some nice clean coats, paint work looks really smooth. As mentioned you just need to push the contrast with a bit more highlights and you will be pumping out some really nice looking minis.. just keep practicing and keep up the great work!!!

Cool, thank you. I will say im like 30 and did do a lot of research into techniques before trying it out but im happy with the results. Am sure i need more layers to brighten highlights though.

Start a WIP thread in the Work In Progress section. People will post and comment and add critiques as you paint so you wont have to wait for the finished product for tips.

Looks pretty decent so far.

Off to a really nice start for your 5th project! Good work on the borders between colors (I don't see sections bleeding into each other) and a decent amount of contrast, especially for this early a project.

One spot I'd suggest focusing more of your highlights on is the face. It's gotten a bit dark compared to say the green on his chest. As a result, the face doesn't stand out as much.

As for highlight colors, pure white and pure black are colors I rarely use. But it is worthwhile to try to push your contrast between lightest highlights and darkest shadows a bit on each piece. Each new piece, see if you can go a little lighter/darker than the last. Eventually you'll hit a point where you'll say that that's too much. But, until you cross that line, you won't know where it is.