Necroghast WIP, painting again after a long hiatus

Thread: Necroghast WIP, painting again after a long hiatus

Default Necroghast WIP, painting again after a long hiatus

Hello everyone,
    I used to paint and post here a lot back when I was in high school, but took a long break from mini painting through art school and some years after. I work as a background painter in the animation industry now and really enjoy it, but was recently feeling like I needed to get back into a creative hobby that wasn't traditional painting. I picked up mini painting again a few months ago to scratch that itch and I think its finally time to start a WIP thread as I've been feeling really motivated to paint recently. I started just painting some one-off stuff, but after I heard about GWs Kill Team game, and remembering how fun it was to collect armies, I decided to put together some Kill Teams. WHo knows if I'll get around to playing, but I've been having fun planning them out. Right now I'm working on a Raven Guard kill team, I had a Raven Guard army back in highschool and I really liked all the new upgrades they got recently so it seemed to make sense.

I'm pretty much finished with the leader, an Intercessor Sergeant. Going for something akin to the Eavy Metal style with these. Pretty much finished with all the painting though it might need a few touch ups and I'll definitely be adding some decals. I'll be trying for a smoother transition on some of my edge highlighting with the next few marines as I think I didnt paint some of the initial highlights thick enough to really show up in the final paint job.

Whats really bothering me right now though is the base. Obviously its still a WIP, but I'm not sure where to take it. I usually do more natural style bases and I think I'm pretty good at them, but for these guys I wanted to do an urban/city style. The problem is that in my opinion flat greys and metallics look pretty boring with a mostly black paint job. I feel like it needs to play off the black color scheme better. I'm thinking about maybe doing some rusty red colors, but any suggestions you all have would be appreciated!

Oh and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to take pictures so I have some variations here.

Thanks for looking!

Welcome back
    very good work, clean and sharp
    On the armour a few more progressions of darker greys or a wash or two of black just to tone down the step in the blends.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Really nice work on the Raven Guard. Welcome back to the hobby

Thank you! On the next one ill try to make my darker edge highlights a bit thicker so theres more of a transition. Theres 5 layers on this one but its a bit hard to tell!

Welcome back to the hobby, I just got back in myself a couple years ago after about 10 years out. Great work, very clean, and definitely looks very Eavy Metal. For the base, add some more shadow in the recesses and toward the bottom, maybe some red/purple/blue tones with inks to give it more interest. That may help.

A few quick phone photos. I decided to give the base a rain forest mud color with a transition from a yellow brown to a red brown. Some red dry pigment and Army Painter grass tufts finishes it off! I'll take some better pictures when I have time and the I'll start working on the next ones.

welcome back to the hobby. thats some nice sharp painting
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Welcome back to the hobby. I know the feeling too...

Good job on this sergeant.

As for the base (or futures one anyway), you can use some plasticard to create fabric ground and use masking tape to paint yellow stripes. Yellow will work very well witht the black armor I think.
    And of course rust!

Thats a good idea! Might try that with future pieces.

Here are some finished pictures, still messing with how to get the best photos, so maybe I'll get some better ones eventually.

And heres the next Kill Team member, a Reiver. Excited for this one, I really like the dynamic pose.