Thread: Airbrushes

Default Airbrushes

For a while now, I've been interested in trying out using an airbrush. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has one, and all the advice I've seen is to avoid buying something really cheap to test the poor quality makes it very off-putting to use. Does anyone have any ideas for where I could manage to try one? I've never seen one set up at a hobby store, and aren't aware of any trade show nearby where I would be able to give one a go. Right now, I'm tempted to buy an AS-168, which typically comes with a ~£10 dual action gravity feed Iwata knock-on of uncertain quality. I can get both for about £80 - would I be wasting my money on low end gear?

It says you're in the UK in your profile so I'll assume you are and base my links on that.

Honestly, avoid the cheapy airbrushes, they are cheap for a reason.

I have used an Iwata HP-B for 32 years and it's been faultless. However it does have a fine nozzle so about 4 years ago I bought an Iwata Revolution CR (Link) which is cheaper and has a bigger nozzle, much better for the thicker paint I was spraying but still fine for details.

However most model makers seem to be going for this Harder & Steenbeck airbrush as it has 2 nozzles in the kit (0.2 & 0.4mm) and for £80 that's a bargain (link), this airbrush seems incredibly popular in the UK.

I have seen a lot of Americans using Badger but have no hands on experience of them, well, not in the last 20 years.

I can't recommend Iwata enough, they make incredibly airbrushes that last. I have owned a Harder & Steenbeck (not the model mentioned above) and it was precise German engineering as you'd expect but at the time I bought it I didn't need it and ended up selling it as I was so used to my Iwata. I don't think you'd go wrong with either of the 2 I've mentioned but the quality will make a huge difference to how it sprays and also your enjoyment using it, it just depends what you can afford to spend.
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Just dive in. Don't waffle, you wont be sold either way with one trial. get a good compressor, moisture trap and pressure adjustment valve. For the airbrush, gravity fed and whatever brand you can get parts for easily in case you need them. Badger Patriot 105 is a workhorse and Iawata Eclipse is great too, if better for a bit more subtle work.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Have a look on youtube. There's one guy who shows you how you can improve cheap airbrushes so they are much better:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqCwc5-tbA
    There loads of advice out there
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+miniatures
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

A more expensive airbrush can be a waste of money if you end up deciding airbrushing just isn't you. My first airbrush was a run of the mill Delta. Cost me about $100AU. It's not a brilliant airbrush but it's not as crappy as a supercheap knockoff of dubious origin. Obviously couldn't give me ridiculously fine lines but, with what I used it for, there really wasn't any difference between that and the more expensive airbrush I ended up buying recently. In fact the Delta taught me more than anything else. The results I managed to get were not much different than the expensive one. But I must say I don't do fine work on anything under 54mm with it. I know I'm gonna get lambasted but I'm old school and don't like the 'airbrushed within an inch of its life' look anyways.
    My point is get something to hone your skills on then go for a sweet ass airbrush.