Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dexter0015's WIP log

Default Dexter0015's WIP log

Hello everyone,

So, I think it's time to get feedback and advice from those of you who are willing to help me improve, so here's my WIP thread.

To give you some context:

I'm a french, 38 years old, a guy who painted (and played, but especially painted) miniatures of Game Workshop when I was 15-20 years old, but life goes on and things change ...
    Until recently, after almost 2 decades, I started to feel the need to paint mini again, so I go back to the paint station ...

About what I like to work on:

I enjoy painting minis and my goal is really to improve myself to approach the level of some talented members of this community. The goal is High and the road will be long, but some of the pieces I've seen in the gallery or in most WIP threads so far are really inspiring ...

But most of all, I really try (and enjoy a lot) to work on the base too, in order to tell a kind of story if you know what I mean ...

But enough said, let me show you what I've done so far:

First of all, here are some spacemarines and a genestealer that I used as training / warm-up pieces to get my mark because I have not painted anything for a long time ...

This was my first spacemarine after my "long" break...

This one was a little better but way to glossy (I don't know what I did but I didn't use any varnish).

A little smooth on the highlits (yes it missing a shoulder pad, I need to re-do it).

This one I was happy with the result (no on the base though).

Then I started feeling more comfortable so I decided to give it a try for a mini on a proper basis, and here is:

I stop here for tonight, I have over projects I'm currently working on for whch I'd like to have some feedback and advices but I don't want to write a novel so... I'll keep it for the next time.

Let me know what you guys think so far, what abvious issues I have to work on etc...

Sorry this was caught in the spam filter!

Nice work btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Sorry this was caught in the spam filter!

Nice work btw!
    Thanks! (btw sorry I may have created duplicate threads).

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forums. You appear to have excellent brush control and a knack for edge highlighting. I am impressed with they even yellow you achieved on the first marine as that is a bear of a color to get down. The base for the barbarian is top knotch. The barbarians skin seems a bit off to me and it may just be an over exposed picture as the muscle highlights don't seem to be as consistent from a lighting source standpoint. I notice this most in the left arm where muscle bulges under the forearm get as bright as those on top of the arm. If you were going with zenithal highlighting, then my eye would expect them to be darker as they would be in shade.

Not sure about the glossyness. Some paints are just that way. You can add a matt medium to help thin the paints which will make them dry more matte or spray them with a matte protective coat when you are done. I would typicall use Testors
    Dull Core to matte the mini down and add a final layer of protection from handling.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike!

You're totally right about the barbarian:
    I did, in fact, apply a zenital highlight on the base coat, but I completly lost it along the way and just paint the flesh without respecting it.
    It's one of the issues I need to work on: keep in mind where the light come from until the end :/

I realized it yersterday again during painting: I was adding shadows and highlights on a model pant and start to realized some of it doesn't respect the zenithal highlight I wanted...

I'll try to fix that tonight and post pictures of it (and more).

P.S.: the pictures are also over exposed too though.

welcome back to the hobby, im another who has come back to painting after a few long breaks. there's something about it that never lets you forget about it for ever.

nice set of minis your opening post.

Seems like you are well on your way already. My best advice at this point is this: Be brave, make your shadows deeper and your highlights brighter. It will do wonders.

@Coyotbreaks: exactly, once you have a foot in it...

@oistene: thanks, I'm trying it right now (pics later today).

Ok so here are several projects I'm currently working on:

1 - Death Guard rider (+ base):

I love the death guard rider sculpts. I think it have some really interseting poses so I bought one a couple months ago but was waiting to find the proper base for it.

And I finally get some wood bases for christmas... and one of them appearse to be a perfect match, so I start thinking of what I can do with it.

I start small but decided to add elements along the way, as it comes to me.

The goal is to add grass on the top at the end but still it looks to empty, so I decided to add 2-3 bricks to "populate" the ground a little.
    Then I tested with the model on it. Looks ok, but stiil, something was missing for me.

And sometimes you have exactly what you're looking for right in front of you. In my case right between my fingers as I was playing with a wood stike and realized I could use it as part of an old fence...

And I take the opportunity to rework the metal peaces too for a more rusty look.
    I still have work to do but its taking shape...

2 - Rising Sun:

I received my pledge for Rising Sun, and The minis really bring justice to the fabulous work of Adrian Smith.

I decided to start with the Komainu monster as I needed to practice true metal because my last attenpt was a catastrophy.

One thing is a shame though, the monsters are glued to the bases...

I first tought "ok, i wont make a sophisticated base for this one", but after painted it I realize it looks too "simple" and need something to make it pop a little (its not th emost impressive monster in the game either).
    I want to create a base that's render the weight of this creature made of pure gold. I would like to create a cobbled ground with some damages due to the each of his step if you know what I mean...

I made an attempt with foam as it's quite maleable, unfortunately I messed up and each line of stone have a different size :/

I though also trying with cork, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Dexter0015; 03-14-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Great work on all your pieces... that base looks fantastic and is really well thought out, and I like where it’s going!!! Keep up the good work man.

You have some very cool basing concepts. Also the more I see of these Rising Sun minis the more I kick myself for not backing it.

Ok, so after digging on the web, I re-watch this excelent tuto about building a street in cork:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAyxveNfnsE&t=234s

and It decided me to go up in scale.

So I'm going to make a larger base, which should be more confortable to build a nice pavement (I was afraid the original base would be too small to allow a good reading of the pavement whiwh would be, for the most part, hidden by the mini itself).

I think I will try a mix of 2 technics :

I'll try to use cork as base to provide some thikness and create recess, then add pavement made of bristol.

Here is a picture of what I plan to do:

We'll see if I manage to achieve what I envision...

In the mean time, here is some pictures of another Rising Sun mini : Shinto of the Turtle clan.

I'm a little bit off the colors compare to the illustrations (which I entend to respect as I love them), but I thought I will correct that later with some glazes.

I first focused on the pant and try to push the contrasts but it was not so easy as I used Scale75 paints for this part and it's not the easier brand to use for me as I find them really matte.
    I also took the opportunity to fix some mess I created (some blue paint on the flesh...).

Then I started painting other parts to help me visualize how it's going.

After some additionnal reflexions and simulations, I decided to go with smaller bricks for the monster base. I think it should give the impression that the monster is taller than it is.
    BUT, as you can see, I'm not a tiler and I made a mess. I first was really discouraged but eventually I start thinking "It's ok, maybe he his in an old temple..." and start thinking of adding some roots going out of the bricks, then maybe he will be walking in a thin layer of dirty water, I don't know, I'll decide once the bricks are painted.

On the shinto side on the other hand, it turn's out nice I belive.

I started painting the yellow tissue and regarding that I have a question for you guys:
    I'm priming my minis with zenithal light: first a coat of black, then a 45° grey, and finally the white from the top.
    And I try to paint other it with thin layers of paints to take advantage of the lights and shadows "naturally" created during the priming phase.
    But for light color like yellow, it is pretty hard to start on a dark base. I sticked to it for this one and add many layers but I am wondering, how do you guys use the base coat ?
    Do you pait over it using multiple thin layers?
    Do you just use it as a reference and don't mind if you need to add a grey layer on top of it when you nedd to paint a light color (trying to keep in mind where the lights and shadows where)?

Anyway, I finally achieved it and even if it's not perfect (obviously), I'm happy wih the result for the moment (meaning my level of painting ).
    I tried to exagerate the contrasts between dark and light parts, then finally blend it (and fix some over exagerated orange shadows) by applying light brown/yellow-ish glazes. It's starting to take shape slowly.

To the bricks: Having holes in the road is a good idea to make it look more interesting. But it looks odd if you just skip some bricks to create the holes. It would looks more natural if you would do the whole street first and then create the holes by "destroying" some bricks. The method depends on the material. A lot of model bricks are made of some kind of plaster so you can easily put holes in with a hammer or something like that. If it's resin I'ld use a dremel tool or a knive to work on the bricks surround the holes.

I sticked to it for this one and add many layers but I am wondering, how do you guys use the base coat ? Do you pait over it using multiple thin layers? Do you just use it as a reference and don't mind if you need to add a grey layer on top of it when you nedd to paint a light color (trying to keep in mind where the lights and shadows where)?
    You can do both. I usually did the same when I was priming b/w. But of course painting in thin translucent layers only takes a hell amount of time. Atm I'm priming black only and use thicker layers and wetblending to get my first colors down. For bright colors I bild up a gradient to white and glaze over it.
    Some people use the b/w priming and take a picture of the mini after priming as a guideline for lights and shadow and work over it with opaque layers.

Excellent work!!!

Thanks guys!

@CyAniDe: I letted holes in the pavment because I kept the large plastic 'pins' under two of the monster paws, so I thought it will help positionning the monster in the end, but I'll try to fill the holes as close as possible with part of brick. There are made of fimo so it's easy to cut into pieces. it's just a pain in the @ss to put fimo in the mold... or I'm just not patient enough :/

That's a lot of inspiring base work going on Dexter! I really like the swirling blue on the back of the shinto model's legs. Nice blending and super sharp contrast.

Hi guys,

I need to update this thread more often...

Here is some progress though:

I almost finish the shinto, I just need to add some final touchs and do the base (which will be pretty simple for this one) and that'll be it (I don't know yet if I'll try some freehand: maybe another time).

This piece took me too much time and it's time to move one. But I'm happy because it helped me understand some things. The paint is still too matte for my taste but I'm starting to think it has something to do with the paper towel it use to remove some paint from my brush before I apply it.

I started a new mini and started using my thumb to remove some paint form my brush before applying it and it seems to help on that.

Speaking of, here it is: the Shinto of the dragonfly clan

I'm happy with it so far as it took me way less time to reach this point. I feel more cunfortable with my brush and each new piece slowly become more joy and less pain/doubt if you know what I mean...

On the monster base side, I finally finished the first step of the base :

Once it was primed, I felt reassuring as it looks pretty much as I envisoned it.

And after some painting (which took me some steps to find the right color):

But still, It feel too symetric and I origininaly thought about addign some roots coming from the pavment. But it wouldn't be enough to break the vertical balance so I'm thinking about adding a trunk with it's roots.

I watched this piece of art from Papercute on Youtbute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7-WThJaeGo

I wont go as far as he did, and I need to scale it down, but the process for the trunk will remain.
    My main problem is: I thought of it AFTER I did the painting so I start working on it on it separatly to avoid ruining the base as much as possible.
    For the moment I'm waiting for my miliput to arrive (next week I hope), in the mean time I start working on the trunk a little:

Once the tree is done, I'll stille have to pin the mini on the base and add the water effect I want.
    As I never used resine so far I decided to make a test before and lets just say it was a good idea as I ruined the thing by not sealing the join enough, letting the resine expend out of the base... (despite the fact that I watched a tone of videos on this particular subject).
    I guess sometimes you need to make your own mistakes to understand how to do something.

Finally I started the painting on the Death Guard horsemman :

This one scary me a little as the quality of the sculpt is really nice and I'm pleased with the base so far, so I really don't want to ruine it with a bad painting.

We'll see.

I really like where you're going with the wood base for the horseman!