Dexter0015's WIP log - Page 22
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Dexter0015's WIP log

I am happy to see the travelling base on its way again!

The Djinn looks cool, You should be able to blend the highlights a bit more with the airbrush and then shade the shadows with some glazing, don't you think?
    Looking forward to that tree diorama...

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    ...The Djinn looks cool, You should be able to blend the highlights a bit more with the airbrush and then shade the shadows with some glazing, don't you think?
    That's exactly my plan

Hello there,

Some progress on the fallen tree.
    The first pass on the base is done.
    Now I'll add some more roots and details to the trunc sculpt.

First pass on the roots.

I'll try to add smaller ones if I can to create a real dense root structure.

WoW that tree looks great !!!

Blog Entries

Shaping up nicely, Dexter. You’ll have lots of space for hiding little natural details.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Shaping up nicely, Dexter. You’ll have lots of space for hiding little natural details.
    Indeed! I plan to add as much details as I can (mushrooms, plants, snails, maybe small birds, ...).

The second pass ont he tree is done, and the base is ready for the paint phase:

Textures turned out real nice on the tree, gonna look sweet with some paint on it!

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    I plan to add as much details as I can (mushrooms, plants, snails, maybe small birds, ...).
    Awesome! Do you plan a specific viewing angle for your dios, or do you leave it up to the viewer to turn the dio and discover these little hidden gems?

Short anser:
    YES!

Long answer:
    Well, that's funny you mention it because I had a reflexion about that not so far ago. I though to myself that as much as I can, I would try to make my dioramas so that thay can be seen from (almost) any angle and yet let someting for the viewer to descover (at least it's my goal).

I really started to try to make it apen with the bridge dio.

And as I descover new tips and tricks to add details to de scene, it will make it easier to do. The only thing it to stop adding stuff at some point...

Anyway, another thing that can make it difficult, is adding a mini to the base (especially when ther is only one).
    Adding a character to the scene instently still the attention of the viewer, so you have to be careful and try to make a scene interesting enough for the viewer to want to explore and discover every details.

That being said, this particular project was started without any mini in mind.
    I found one that may fit, but i'm not entirely sure yet because when put on the dio, it stil the attention from the dead trunck (which was the main focus of the scene until I had the mini).
    So I'm not sure yet if I envetually add it to the scene or not.

Thanks for sharing that thought process. I struggle with figuring out a main viewing angle for my dios, I find I almost always have to turn them this way and that in order to catch everything that I want to bring to the viewer's attention.
    So recently I decided to force myself into more of a single main viewing angle by simply making the background a larger flat piece, so that you *can't* see it from the back
    That means I also focus on more of the stuff that will be visible, which is a good thing I think. Less can be more, or something

I know what you mean about the mini stealing the focus from the surroundings. That fallen tree is impressive, but in the end, unless it is the only thing, it definitely will be part of the background...

I tend to rely on traditional art and composition rules when I'm thinking how I'm gonna set the scene (2/3 rule or things like that).

The masses is also, indeed, an excellent way of balancing things and orientate the specator's view I think.

For this particular dio though, I'm afraid you're right... The only ways I can think of to reduce it are:

A - painting the mini with a camo (where is waldo?) or play around the tree (set up an embush)
    B - populate the scene with a group of tiny models (like goblins or something): could work too I think (again playing with masses)

I don't know yet what approach I will try, for now I'm focusing on the painting side.

I'm very happy how the tree turns out, it even looks more real once primed.

Awesome work, the tree really looks amazing.

If you gave me this piece, and said I could do anything I want with it, I'd put a figure (that is trying to hide) underneath the mass of the trunk,
    and two or three guys standing around looking into the distance, maybe with one standing on the trunk right above the cowering one.

But whatever it is you decide to do wrt models, I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up here

Outstanding, absolute perfection, you are really talented and great work as always, thanks for giving me and others such inspiration.

Blog Entries

​Tree looks great my friend! Lots of possibilities with the scene, can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks guys, really appriciate.
    @gorb: Yeah I totally saw what you mean. Though the current setup would require to add a lot o bushes to keep the character well hidden under it. Who knows, it could be the occasion for another dio...

The tree is starting to take shape through painting.
    It's been a succession of layers, me trying to add some complexity with each step.
    I tried to took some photos along the way but missed some steps i think.

I'm not done yet, but it start to look like a tree.
    Before going forward, I'll need to apply a layer of mat varnish on it, because the trunck start to look shinny (washes and inks tends to have this effect).

What do you guys think? Any though/advice is welcome.

Looking amazing! Only thing that throws me a little is the roots in the center part don't look quite real (at least in the second larger picture), maybe add some earth into them to partially cover those bits so it looks a little more natural

I like it a lot.

Some things I see in fallen/broken trees are:
    Splintering around the break point. Shards of wood still partially attached.
    Wood detritus on the ground from when the tree broke.
    Un-earthed roots will also have soil and whatnot still clinging and coating the roots giving them a dirty and often lighter texture once the soil has dried.

All of the above will wear away with time and weather. So your tree right now, to me, reads like a tree that fell a long time ago except for the core of the tree which is still very bright relative to the bark. Adding in shards at the break, detritus on the ground and a bit of dirt on the roots, while slightly darkening/aging the core, might help bring everything into a more concise window of time.

Might be able to use some splinters from wood chips for shards and detritus and then some pigment powder for the dried soil on the roots.

picture search

@ekipage: you read my mind!

As soon as I started adding the roots to the structure, I realized I wont have enough material to make it as dense as I would like.
    And my plan to hide the gape and add some realism is to add som earth to the roots.
    In fact, its is drying right now. some photos tomorrow.

@Lothaar: 100% agree with you.
    I'm aiming to a tree that has ben uprooted by the wind a long time ago.
    I'm currently searching how I will age the core (pigment powder for sure but for the very end: I think I'll use various shades of it on the barck and ground too).

I'm not sure yet, but I may add some puddles on the trail (I didn't make up my mind yet).

Thanks for the inputs people, don't hesitate to add more if you think of anything else.