Dexter0015's WIP log - Page 26
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Dexter0015's WIP log

Nice work on the base! Can't wait to see more!

The base is coming along really nicelly.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

As usual amazing base, looking forward to see the finished piece.

Lovely work on the base my friend!

Wow. Fantastic basing.

Very nice work, I really like the realistic treatment of feathers, it looks soft, like a real bird! With this beautiful base under way, the final view should look charming.

Thank you guys for all your kind words.

The resin have been poured, this turned out pretty well, minus a little scealing issue... But nothing too bad.

The gel isn't curred yet on the photo (and irl too, I may have been a little too heavy).

I started to work on tinkerbell's wings too:

My idea is to create something similar to what you can see in Carnival Row.

This looks beautiful Dexter, especially those wings. The diorama too!

The base is done!

I made some progress on the wings, but I still have work . Not sure if I try freehand on it or not.
    Should have been easier if only I didn't glue the wings already...

Anyway this project is almost done so in prevision, I primed the next one.

Nice work on the fairy! Oh my, this is a big cork!

Tinkerbelle is looking great! I really like those pastel wings and love that you put Jiminy on the base too (ok, maybe it was just a random cricket and not the disney one, but the reference is great!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    [...]Not sure if I try freehand on it or not.[...]
    I ask myself the same question after successfully achieved a nice blending, afraid to ruin everything...
    Anyway, these blue wings contrast well with the warm tones of your bird. The base highlights well your mini, you even thought about adding the next bird's meal ;p.

That's brilliant, the base really sets it all off.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedbacks.

@ekpiage: the cricket is part of the kit actually. It is meant to be placed on the bird head, but I prefer to put it on the side (it's too big on the head).

I'm not happy with the current state of the wings though. I thnik I won't go for a freehand as I already glued the wings (and with my big clumsy hands it would be a massacre).
    But I'll try to enhance the contrast and refine some lines.

I think this is some beautiful work Dexter! Both the figure(s) and the base. Can't wait to see it all put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedbacks.

@ekpiage: the cricket is part of the kit actually. It is meant to be placed on the bird head, but I prefer to put it on the side (it's too big on the head).

I'm not happy with the current state of the wings though. I thnik I won't go for a freehand as I already glued the wings (and with my big clumsy hands it would be a massacre).
    But I'll try to enhance the contrast and refine some lines.
    What are you using for the water effect? I'll be honest it's not something I've attempted before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini7673 View Post
    What are you using for the water effect? I'll be honest it's not something I've attempted before.
    I use Pebeo Crystal resin with a drop of diluted acrylic paint to teint it.

And for the surface I use Liquitex gloss gel (apply with a wood stick once the resin is dry).

At first it really intimidating, but in the end it's not that difficult to use. There is just on master rule: try to secure your sealing as much as you can.

For the sealling I bought some soft transparent plastic sheets from my local craft store.
    I use it because once dry the resin in contact withe sheet don't need to be polished. And I hate polishing

Try it on a test piece first (or as many as needed), because it is simple, but it is definitive, so better be safe than sorry...

Thanks, Dex! UK is currently in lockdown so our long established, but excellent model shop is currently closed and while I could do an Amazon search I'd much rather support a local business and they'll know exactly what I need now I have the info. Cheers!

You're welcome.

I finally reunited the bird with its paws.
    I'm happy witht he overall result.

(I'll take some proper photos later)

Just on little detail I completely missed....

I initially checked if the dome has enought space to contain the whole mini, but I didn't took in consideration that I'll add 3 to 4 cm with the basing....

As I see it, I have two options now :
    1 - find another dome (seems unilkely)
    2 - find a ways to attache the dome to the base and mask the elongation I'll need to do.

I guess I'm not done with this project yet...