Any other Colorblind Painters out there? Advice?

Thread: Any other Colorblind Painters out there? Advice?

Default Any other Colorblind Painters out there? Advice?

I just took a painting lesson with a well respected youtuber/painter, and he helped me through a lot of the mistakes that I was making, mainly with color selection and pairing.
    For example, I'm red-green colorblind, and seem to struggle a lot with browns...there's just so many different types! Matching browns, and making them work well with each other without clashing has always hard for me.
    Another thing that was pointed out was my Trollblood skin color... I've been basecoating The Fang (GW, a somber blue), washing Reikland Fleshshade (GW, Reddish brown), and highlighting Trollblood Base (PP, Bluish/green). Before the class, I had no idea that Trollblood base was even greenish.
    So is anyone else colorblind? How have you dealt with this?

color blind: no

how to deal?
    depends if you paint for yourself or for others to see.

- if you paint only for yourself, then go with whatever looks good for you. It'll be probably VERY weird for us, but there is no point appeasing others if you don't like the result / see it differently. To be honest while I probably would find the result weird (especially using a scheme you are blind to) it would be really interesting seeing it just to see how others see the world.

- if you want to appease other's sense of beauty the only thing I see: learn the color wheel and what your colors are on the wheel (even if you don't see them like that) or even use direct color recipes.
    for example (I stay with GW colors as you mentioned them) painting bone:
    -- you'll probably need mostly yellow-browns with some red-brown for a deep shade. AgraxEarth is a red-brown, ZandriDust is a middle yellow-brown, Screaming skull is a light yellow-brown... So basically PaintXY is color Z. --> I think this (+ probably color wheel) is what was shown in the painting lesson.
    -- color recipes even to the point of using a set of mixes like 1:2 of ColorX:Y. This could kill some of the joy of painting as it becomes too technical/mechanical, but can assure the used colors are what others expect.
    Forgot, that it works again.

There's special glasses for the colourblind, but they re expensive. But they may be an avenue - search for Chroma glasses or something.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

Me. Red/green/brown same as you.
    I found by quite embarrassingly painting a treebeard pink, thinking it was a greeny grey brown.......... the mocking hit me hard.

So i stepped the fk up yo the plate

I taught myself to deal with it by slowing down and putting CONSCIOUS THOUGHT into my choices. I made it a skill, if you will.

I'd say my colour blindness is now a strength.
    You can do it too.
    I had a student/painter at my studio learn it too. Thomas Moore. He works for White dwarf now.

You can!

T

P.s Also read the labels
    Last edited by Tommie Soule; 03-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    Me. Red/green/brown same as you.
    I found by quite embarrassingly painting a treebeard pink, thinking it was a greeny grey brown.......... the mocking hit me hard.

So i stepped the fk up yo the plate

I taught myself to deal with it by slowing down and putting CONSCIOUS THOUGHT into my choices. I made it a skill, if you will.

I'd say my colour blindness is now a strength.
    You can do it too.
    I had a student/painter at my studio learn it too. Thomas Moore. He works for White dwarf now.

You can!

T

P.s Also read the labels
    Glad to see I'm not the only one, and that there are others with a heck of a success story!

I've bought into the Scale75 scalecolor range recently, in an attempt to limit my color palette to sets that hopefully work well with each other. Did you ever find yourself doing anything similar? Or was it more of an iterative process, where you'd try a recipe, get feedback, and commit that recipe to the vault?

Working off of recipes feels a little like cheating, but I'm not sure that with the color deficiency that I'll be able to "freestyle" color choices as well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    There's special glasses for the colourblind, but they re expensive. But they may be an avenue - search for Chroma glasses or something.
    They don’t actually work. You’d be better off taking a digital photo and analyzing the spectrum in software. That at least can show you when two colors that look the same to you don’t look the same to trichromats.