Thread: State of the Wrath of Kings?

Default State of the Wrath of Kings?

I keep seeing people online posting that WoK is, essentially, 'dead' - that beyond the Book 2 stuff, nothing else is coming.

But then, I occasionally hear the opposite.

Do we know what's going on here?

Are there any previews of 'what's next' out there?

Anything?

Thanks!
    Nil nos tremefacit.

It looks pretty dismal, and no one from CMON has really come forward to say anything. Between the total lack or presence at Adeptican this past weekend, the fact that CMON has not updated the official FB page since December, and that just to update RE shipping form the Cyber Monday fire sale (I mean, they even didn't bother posting about new book 2 model releases), and the otherwise complete lack of news, promotion, or basically anything at all, it really does look like a dead game.

Pretty sad, given that it's apparently died of neglect.

The CMON newsletter from a few days ago had March releases from WoK.
    Not sure if those are from book 2 or newer stuff though.
    You can watch my videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/playlists
    And you can also support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Ghool

they are book2 ones.
    Forgot, that it works again.

The news I've heard from talking to people at cons these past two months is that CMON is focusing on the board game Kickstarters. The "one and done"/"no need to worry about supporting a line" model is more attractive to them, especially when coupled with the low risk of a pre-order KS release system. We may see a redux/v2 of the rules but it's definitely not high on the to do list based on what I was hearing.

Given I haven't seen anything but the first wave in FLGSs for the past four years, there wasn't a single WoK event at Adepticon, and the only thing they brought with them was six or so boxes of each of the three new releases I think this is pretty much all we're getting for the game.

It would be nice if someone, ANYONE, from CMON could weigh in and give us an indicator as to the game's future.

Ok so, i just stumbled into wrath of kings looking for a conversion platform. Happy with the first box i picked up.

Is this game even worth investing time in?

Youtube has like one bat rap in the past 30days, an army showcase in the past 60 days and then everything out side ofva handful of unboxings is like 7 to 9 months old...

Or should i grab the other 2 boxes, do my conversions and be happy?

At this point it seems it's pretty clear the game is now beyond reanimation.

pretty much what Aphotic said.

BUT with the releases from Book1 and 2 there are enough units released to make the games varied enough if it's not your main game and you play it once a month or less. And the rules are ok.
    I mean I invested in hadross and could make 4-5 themes(deepman, jellyfish, sharks, monsters of the deep) without mixing units and quite a few builds with mixing them.

And with KS+2nd hand+CMON Black Friday deals (especially this) it was pretty cheap to get multiples of everything.
    Forgot, that it works again.

It's a damn shame too, because I really enjoy playing this game. The mechanics are really neat and different from most other games systems. I am happy that at least there is a variety of miniatures for the game. I would have loved to see this game actually make it into the community. It seems that this game is just always going to be an obscure game, that literally have a very small fan base. Although I have other board games from CMON (Arcadia Quest, and now Zombicide), Wrath of kings really stood out to me. I will always try to get more players involved with this game, but it doesn't help that CMON doesn't really support the game anymore. They were always distant with announcements but they have been silent on Wrath of Kings for almost a year now. They have been sneaking out the last few models from series two on their web store. It's a real shame as a legionnaire too. I can't in good faith promote a company that really doesn't care about their own products after a launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbarters View Post
    It's a damn shame too, because I really enjoy playing this game. The mechanics are really neat and different from most other games systems. I am happy that at least there is a variety of miniatures for the game. I would have loved to see this game actually make it into the community. It seems that this game is just always going to be an obscure game, that literally have a very small fan base. Although I have other board games from CMON (Arcadia Quest, and now Zombicide), Wrath of kings really stood out to me. I will always try to get more players involved with this game, but it doesn't help that CMON doesn't really support the game anymore. They were always distant with announcements but they have been silent on Wrath of Kings for almost a year now. They have been sneaking out the last few models from series two on their web store. It's a real shame as a legionnaire too. I can't in good faith promote a company that really doesn't care about their own products after a launch.
    There was an annual report...a year or two ago?...where CMON's income from miniature wargames was revealed - and it was SHOCKINGLY low.

Now, given how CMON supports (or doesn't) and distributes (or doesn't) its miniature wargames, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone - including CMON.

I'm just surprised - and VERY grateful - that one of the BEST miniature wargames in terms of both miniature quality/sculpts AND gameplay *is* still on their (mostly) monthly to-do list.

DARK AGE is fantastic - you guys should check it out.

Unlike Wrath of Kings, it is still very much alive!
    Nil nos tremefacit.