Painting Purple

Thread: Painting Purple

Default Painting Purple

Hey guys,

I'm looking to paint purple similar to this picture provided below.

https://mathiaarkoniel.deviantart.co...gorm-522065181

I was already thinking of shadowing w/ a very dark blue color. Old GW Necron Abyss would be adequate for this I think.

What should I highlight w/ though? Haven't painted purple before, and want some ideas before I start going at it.

Be aware that on the illustration you mention there is an attempt to simulate some kind of silky/velvety textile.
    Not being an expert and also learning on colour mixes... I would say: bright pure reds or pinks, cold greys and whites, maybe also clear (sky/whiteish) blues. Avoid yellow, orange and creams because that would mute/desaturate your colour and turn it to browns instead.
    Have a go on some paper first if you feel unsecure, mixing paint is fun! ^^
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Paint mixing is NOT fun. It just leads to heartache and broken dreams.

I enjoy painting purples, it's challenging and after several repaints it looks better than table top quality. Take your time, as 'Freak' said, practice on paper first. You can do anything you put your mind and heart into.
    After 25 years without picking up a brush, one realizes that their eyesight has deteriorated substantially.

Geez that’s a nice purple.. personally I would start with a blue (somewhere around macragge blue gw, probably a little lighter). There seems to be three level of shade to this, the lighter shade that of a blue/purple, the secondary shade has a dramatic tone change with more of a red/purple and then the deepest shades a really deep (dark) purple... and it seems the majority of the highlights have just been applied to the texture features...

Your just going to have to muck around with mixing to get the colours you desire... I think the s75 colours African shadow and Indian shadow could be a good start for the shade colours, maybe mixed with of blues and reds to suit?

good luck man and I’m looking forward to seeing how you go with this

Quote Originally Posted by feanorthenoldor View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to paint purple similar to this picture provided below.

https://mathiaarkoniel.deviantart.co...gorm-522065181

I was already thinking of shadowing w/ a very dark blue color. Old GW Necron Abyss would be adequate for this I think.

What should I highlight w/ though? Haven't painted purple before, and want some ideas before I start going at it.
    The “purple” in that picture is very close to Vallejo Model Colour Violet-Red. The blue however is something I’d not considered placing alongside. It looks on my screen to Vallejo Model Colour Oxford Blue, But I don’t know if that’s still available.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    The “purple” in that picture is very close to Vallejo Model Colour Violet-Red. The blue however is something I’d not considered placing alongside. It looks on my screen to Vallejo Model Colour Oxford Blue, But I don’t know if that’s still available.
    It's not. I miss Oxford Blue.

As for purples, I think my warm purple used in this video might be close.
    You'd just have to use a cooler highlight like Frostbite, or Underbelly Blue.

Last edited by Ghool; 04-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    You can watch my videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/playlists
    And you can also support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Ghool

Pint mixing is a delight and one of life’s great joys.

I would base both that blue and that purple on cobalt blue. If you prefer to stick to non-toxic colors, ultramarine blue (the true pigment, not whatever mix is labeled that in some proprietary line) is a good base. In either case the basic blue has a drop of titanium white in for clarity and opacity.

A reasonable approximation of that purple can be mixed fom the cobalt (or ultramarine) with a small amount of cadmium red light (or mars red if you are sticking to non-toxic colors) and a larger amount of acra violet.

You should be able to get a reasonable purple highlight color by mixing in titanium white with your mixed purple. Straight white added naturally cools the tone, which is what the lighting looks like on that image. The blue highlights look like they could be made with an admixture of titanium white and the tiniest addition of thalo blue to your basic blue.

The shadows look like they are a simple admixture of black with the darkest blue or violet. Not the way I would do it, but it can work. I’d be happier making a shadow based on ultramarine blue mixed with burnt umber to an almost neutral shade, glazed over the deepest areas.

Anyhow, that’s how I would do it if I were mixing my own colors.