In memoriam of RLobinske
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In memoriam of RLobinske

Default In memoriam of RLobinske

Haven't been round here in ages. And I can't find the RLobinske thread. I'll keep looking. That was a golden age.

Wow 15 years ago.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Would have handled it very differently now DR.

Bloody hell!! I just received a "reputation comment" for a post made in 2005, and now this!

Can't be a coincidence, can it? Especially since I mentioned mr Lobinske in that post.
    Last edited by Ritual; 04-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel Castro View Post
    Would have handled it very differently now DR.
    Wouldn’t we all.

Age making us Mellow I suppose.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Bloody hell!! I just received a "reputation comment" for a post made in 2005, and now this!

Can't be a coincidence, can it? Especially since I mentioned mr Lobinske in that post.
    Ha, I'm back in town for a day trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Wouldn’t we all.

Age making us Mellow I suppose.
    That's the long and short of it!

Shame that this was before my time, I never got to see the art of RLobinske.

His posts and his forum behaviour was more interesting than his painting, actually. But I guess that knowing how he painted gives a bit more context to the "discussion".

Yeah, it was like that "Master Painter". Alex? I mean he wasn't bad but the attitude made you that more critical.

Googled RLobinske and I found some of his new work, space stuff. Seems like he still has the same style as you describe in the thread. Honestly glad he didn't cave to peer pressure!

An interesting read to be sure, it was before my cmon time and obviously back then standards wouldnt perhaps be as high as they are today (for example see golden demon winners from back then compared to this year) but I googled the name and assuming I found the right person it doesn't look any better than prepainted stuff

I hadn't registered an account at the time, but I was constantly lurking the gallery and the forum, building up confidence to join. This guy had this very strict idea that his minis was supposed to be looked at from an arm's length distance and that they should be painted to represent a real person being observed from 50-100 meters away. Thus, painting eyes, for instance, was WRONG (even though there were sculpted eyes on the miniature) since you would not be able to make out a person's eyes from 100 meters. It is those kind of things he meant was this "natural style".

Perhaps something like that might have worked for a forced perspective kind of scene but doubtful since you would still most likely see all the details that weren't painted. I'm all for people having their own styles but if something's not working you should surely know it yourself before showing it publicly online then defending it relentlessly

Over the (many) years I’ve met and worked with people who were unable to accept criticism in any form, whether intended to be helpful or constructive.
    My point of view is that this is a continually developing hobby which challenges us all to improve with each new piece we attempt.
    I’m still learning and I think I’ll still be learning as long as I’m painting.
    , and proud of it.

Nobody likes being told they're bad at what they're doing business by shutting off from people trying to help you're severely hampering yourself. I think in this hobby nobody particularly wants to upset anyone and all advice is generally given to help people improve, (as far as I've seen anyway) you have to be open to it, it's ok to try and explain what your intent was with the painting too but take the comments on board and seat to suit. I realise I'm probably preaching to the choir here

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    Yeah, it was like that "Master Painter". Alex? I mean he wasn't bad but the attitude made you that more critical.

Googled RLobinske and I found some of his new work, space stuff. Seems like he still has the same style as you describe in the thread. Honestly glad he didn't cave to peer pressure!
    Sounds interesting! Point me in the right direction if you're able - would love to read that thread or threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Interesting to go back and read those threads.

Even more so to visit his site and peruse his portfolio.......trying to be as polite as I can in regard to the quality, but for a Master Painter........ well allow me to say that for me Skellets, AndyG, 10ball, Sproket, Atacam, Metazoid_man all show a much smoother and ‘cleaner’ end product a style I prefer.
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Interesting to go back and read those threads.

Even more so to visit his site and peruse his portfolio.......trying to be as polite as I can in regard to the quality, but for a Master Painter........ well allow me to say that for me Skellets, AndyG, 10ball, Sproket, Atacam, Metazoid_man all show a much smoother and ‘cleaner’ end product a style I prefer.

Not to mention they aren't arrogant about it either, that was certainly interesting to read, can understand "master painter" as a job title, but that didn't describe the skill level shown at all