Old Great Unclean One - WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Great Unclean One - WIP

I would hazard a guess and say that the waves were done with something similar to Vallejo water effects, which is a transparent heavy acrylic gel I believe.

Bit of a long tutorial, but gives you the general idea.

Project looks cool. I like the dude drowning in sludge. Like Foxtail said, the Vallejo gel lets you sculpt it pretty effectively. You can build it up in layers to get those waves.

Yes, Vallejo 26201 is what I use. Usually I lay it over a more solid, flat surface such as you've got. I use Vallejo Still Water to get that base layer, usually. The acrylic gel will sit on top of that without a seam. If you want dramatic/sharp peaks, you will need to give it a few passes, but it will hold even pretty weird shapes if you play with it as it dries. You can add paints & inks to color that stuff, too.

* Oh, and for splashes/spume throw in a few of those glass microbeads everyone loves.

awesome, thanks! will be ordering one of these Vallejo water products today.

for this part : * Oh, and for splashes/spume throw in a few of those glass microbeads everyone loves

what do you mean exactly?

There’s a big craze using “micro beads” you can get them at art supply and jewelry stores that sell craft jewelry -if you look at my gallery or ever more intriguing “SPROCKETS “ David sopera gallery on his Spume Rotgut sword winning piece you’ll see little fluorescent beads that resemble eggs- or pustules - TOAD isreffereing to these.

ok thanks. I was unable to find “SPROCKETS “ David sopera and his gallery, but I get the idea

This is the piece BAM is referring to. The microbeads are most obvious on the streams of water coming off the tentacle.
    Check out the rest of Sproket's gallery, as well.

holy macaroni, that piece is fantastic!

Hows that wet pallete working out? Still waiting for mine to turn up.

Heard a few mixed reviews so far....either way its gotta be better than the current ice cube tray lid I work with.

Nice progress in your thread too...good to see you pushing yourself with new techniques. Look forward to seeing where you go next with the Shadespire ork.

I haven't tried the wet pallette yet as I just had 1 hour this week to work on the nurgle base liquid

But yeah should be better than my self made stuff as well.

Cool, mine was on the doorstep when I got home...will let you know my thoughts when I’ve given it a whirl

looking really good. the added effects are working really well. love the drawing dude, very cool idea
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Weekend update

I finally used the wet pallette, working good so far Let's see over time how well the paint holds up.

Back to the model. I am about done with this guy.

Name:  IMG_7676.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7677.JPG
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7679.JPG
Size:  103.9 KB

Lessons from this weekend:

- eyes were a nightmare. I usually can do them with my micron pen, but this time I just couldn't do it right. Had to start over like 4 times, re-applying skin tone, then white then pupil... Even with a flow retarder or glazing medium, the white and black paint would dry instantly on my tiniest brush... maybe it was too hot.

- gem on the guy's arm was also tough. It is such a small surface, getting a good blend between a dark green and light green was near impossible for me. This is like 1-2mm in size so out of my league. I also see that my white spots are not in the right place

- The drooling blood is curving upwards over time. I can usually bend it back but after a minutes it just curls up again. Might have to add more glue to make it longer, perhaps even touching the ground?

Anyways, I got a few questions for you before I finish this off.

- Sword : does it need rust at this point? I only did verdegris effect.
    - Worms : do they need more work? like more highlights? Please say no
    - Missing limb : I was thinking of adding a chewed off limb on the back of the base, like near the tuft of grass, to justify the blood in the GUI muth, but perhaps this is too much?

let me know any other final missing touches you see before I spray varnish this and can move on to my Shadespire orks I could spend more hours on this model on doing more highlights on details, but honestly I don't feel like it and I only get 1-2 painting hours per week max, so I want to do something else.

Thanks!

Yes sword needs to match the metal of the chain in my opinion.worms needs a few more highlight colors. I know at the end Minos get a bit boring and folks want the just to be done but take care with eCh detail.this after all will be the routine you get used to when painting each and every model.

I agree with BAM, perhaps have rest get something else started, the come back to it refreshed. those maggots will definitely thank you for giving them some more pop
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

ok so chain will get rusty treatment

what about the orange worms, just do some yellowish highlights?

Definitely look at adding some rust to the sword as others have mentioned.

I'd be tempted to change up the colour of the red/orange worms so they stand out more from the bloody mouth and fleshy bits....maybe an off white/ivory maggoty colour with a hint of green to the recesses?

As others have said though...take a break, dont look at it for a week or so and come back with fresh eyes. I think theres lots for you to be encouraged by on this mini, you've clearly gone in with a plan and taken time over it and the basing (love this guy drowning in nurgle ooze). Look forward to seeing your next piece come together

Thanks! I agree, the orangy big worms weren't my best idea on this one. I'll do a test on one with ivory white and some light green wash.

Ok did like 5 mns painting last night, added some blood effect around the pus to give more contrast, which I had totally forgotten about. Will need to redo the pus bubbles to give them more highlights and shine.

Also started the rust on the sword, which will need to be darker now, probably with an agrax earthshade light wash.

Name:  IMG_7703.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7707.JPG
Size:  156.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7706.JPG
Size:  133.7 KB