What scale ratio is 28mm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scale ratio is 28mm?

Marmoset

Default What scale ratio is 28mm?

Hi :D

I was wondering what it is for 28mm? By scale ratio (maybe this is the wrong term) I mean like 1:60 or whatever, like what you get on model cars. If a 28mm mini is relative to 2cm per foot, what is 28mm scale? :duh: Does anyone know?

~Bill

Well, supposedly a 28mm scale miniature is 28mm from ankle to eye. So... if that relates to 5\'6\" then it\'s around 1:60, I\'d imagine.

30mm equates to about 1/48. Seeing how large some so-called 28mm figures are I think alot of them would fall into 1/48 scale!

Neil

1/64.245 (considering 1.80 meters average human male height)

Default scale creep...

This comes up from time to time...but the problem is that the 28mm scale rarely exists anymore.

Not that it is a problem really, I like the bigger chunkier 30-36mm scales, but its just a bit of a misnomer.

Originally posted by supervike
    This comes up from time to time...but the problem is that the 28mm scale rarely exists anymore.

Not that it is a problem really, I like the bigger chunkier 30-36mm scales, but its just a bit of a misnomer.
    yep now also GW minis are lot taller, almost 30 mm scale

btw i love 32 mm scale like Ilyad (is 32mm isn\'t it?) and rackham

The Ilyad stuff is probably even bigger than 32 mm. At least the ones I\'ve got... but then again, they\'re big guys all of them.

i just measured my imperial guard and it\'s 38 mm O_o

We refer to our figures as heroic 28mm in casual conversation cos that\'s the term everyone seems to use for figures that are a bit bigger than 28mm. It\'s a meaningless term really as most manufacturers interpret it differently.

Ours are really 1/55 scale measured sole of foot to top of head (just like real people are measured). And we vary their heights and weights just as they vary for real people/animals. Whatever height our background literatures says something is we divide it by 55 to make the mini.

So if our background literature says something is 7 feet tall (210cm) we divide that by 55 and make a mini that is 38mm tall. If the background says something is 6 feet tall we make a mini that is 33mm tall. :)

Originally posted by Ian Newbold

So if our background literature says something is 7 feet tall (210cm) we divide that by 55 and make a mini that is 38mm tall. If the background says something is 6 feet tall we make a mini that is 33mm tall. :)
    That seems to be a whole lot of math....I knew I should have paid better attention in school! LOL

Marmoset

Thanks very much guys :) I have ordered some lovely brass-etched leaves from the excellent scalelink.co.uk in 1:60 to 1:100 scale. Thanks to Albert Moretó Font and Rune for their help :D

Happy painting

~Bill

In the historicals market, 28mm is traditionally in the 1/56 to 1/60 scales for vehicles.
    1/64is also known as \"S\"scale for model railroaders.

As for your leaves.. anything from 1/35 (54mm) to 1/100th scale or so will work. sometimes with \"Natural\" materials scale is relevant. Basically go with what looks best.

Originally posted by supervike

I was reminded about the changes that the post war occupation of Japan caused. The improvements in diet brought about by the Allies resulted in a overall increase in height, fitness and eysight for the next generation of Japanese.

I wondered if \"scale creep\" might be the result of removing the lead from the minis:D

On the other hand perhaps \"scale creep\"is just one of those unwashed that hang around GW storeslol

http://www.prophet-miniatures.com/wip/Scaleguideweb.jpg

Originally posted by Prophet
    really thanks a lot for the useful link, i\'ve still need to learn to balance proportion while \"sculpting:moon:\"

No prob. If you set the printer to landscape and turn off the margins, the image will print out the correct size at 72dpi (ei. the 28mm figure will actually be 28mm tall).

Marmoset

Great link, will have to bookmark that :D I do recommend the lovely tiny leaves! Scalelink is great :D

A spacemarine is about 30 mm... that would make him 1m 85cm... that is as tall as me... Seems strange... as I was sure they were at least 2m - 2m 10cm ?... might be wrong... there goes my picture of marines being HUGE! :P

Nice scale reference though, I\'ll bookmark that instantly!

Originally posted by Dark Seraphim
    A spacemarine is about 30 mm... that would make him 1m 85cm... that is as tall as me... Seems strange... as I was sure they were at least 2m - 2m 10cm ?... might be wrong... there goes my picture of marines being HUGE! :P

Nice scale reference though, I\'ll bookmark that instantly!
    According to all the GW fluff, space marines are supposed to be huge, but the models have never reflected that, they\'ve always been produced as pretty much the same size as normal humans. No idea why.

Marmoset

Yeah, the Space Marine statue at GD is very big, maybe 3m high! :o