The "fresh to the hobby guy" WIP book
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "fresh to the hobby guy" WIP book

Default The "fresh to the hobby guy" WIP book

Hi everybody, my first post here at Cmon so what better idea to make a wip thread to break the ice

I touch a bit on mini painting long time ago ( at the time of Humbrol paint and hmm Mithril figure and such ), but just recently started to get my hand at it like about 3 month before.

I am working on building a mini scene currently using 2 Avatars of Wars figures, orc shaman and barbarian marauder chief.
    I posted the painted orc in the gallery here.

I started build the base scene and also the 2nd figure the barbarian.

This is my set as it will be:
    Name:  scenewip.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  83.8 KB

Make couple progress on the base scene already , mostly paint and texture past things
    Name:  orc_vignette_test.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  482.0 KB

Next would be some dry brush and starting adding vegetation and moss effect.

and my barbarian start ..on the skin right now
    Name:  barbarianskin.jpeg
Views: 711
Size:  135.6 KB

Well for a newbie your first post promises good things to come! I've commented directly on the gallery link for the Orc. Great model and so far you've done a solid job on it.

@ricardo523
    Thanks, yeah I just saw your post , thanks for the feedback , this is always good to have a fresh pair of eyes on what you do

Name:  762A24BD-342A-4D70-B356-2942CCEA5366.jpeg
Views: 622
Size:  425.3 KB
    little update for the base...still some work to do

looking good really like the skin on the orc

a bit of progress on the barbarian, mostly applied some base color see how that look overall, still undecided for some part
    Name:  5E7706D9-E7AD-4C5D-AF5D-436BF5C5DFEE.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  409.0 KB

Name:  08DBA0F0-5742-401F-AABE-879FF5CBD049.jpeg
Views: 575
Size:  336.0 KB
    still on that barbarian...couple more to go xd

done with the base for the vignette, well mostly need to wait stuff dry a bit to maybe add couple touch here and here and that barbarian need to get in also.
    Name:  0CEA8432-12AA-4C61-A861-10F8881F113F.jpeg
Views: 571
Size:  628.9 KB

Name:  4DB5985C-E551-43C3-9D0C-EDC986F4710D.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  522.5 KBwell almost done....
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

Finally ending that first vignette attempt , couple photos of the final things..also put in my gallery.
    Name:  orc_barbarian_diorama_01.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  547.3 KBName:  orc_barbarian_diorama_02.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  761.3 KBName:  orc_barbarian_diorama_bshot_01.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  477.1 KBName:  orc_barbarian_diorama_bshot_02.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  400.5 KBName:  orc_barbarian_diorama_bshot_03.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  802.1 KB
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

Well..let keep it busy, so starting a new minis / scenery with this cute frog and it bumblebee
    Just to change from the big muscle fighter guys or the green guy haha ( well frog skin may tend to be greenish though...)
    Name:  DS_FrogHunter.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  146.6 KB
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

Nice stuff. I found it difficult to put enough time into both painting mini's AND work on the bases- they can both take a long time and I was not making too much progress on either. I'm concentrating on the mini's now but a good base really does go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo523 View Post
    Nice stuff. I found it difficult to put enough time into both painting mini's AND work on the bases- they can both take a long time and I was not making too much progress on either. I'm concentrating on the mini's now but a good base really does go a long way.
    Thanks, yes I know what you mean with the time..I am not doing game nor army so I try to get a full set as much I can for each minis, I found base work kind of cool too but that can indeed take time..the only things that can be a big drawback is to lost motivation when you start to work on the same things a little too long
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

cool stuff, that base looks fantastic. and the models look good on there two. the new project looks interesting, you have made a good start on that base.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    cool stuff, that base looks fantastic. and the models look good on there two. the new project looks interesting, you have made a good start on that base.
    thanks, hopefully this next one endup well

tiny update, did not get much time today so I just shape the base and some watered pvc glue over it..need to dry now.
    Name:  7F4089AB-4796-4B8A-B0C6-35E223C61555.jpeg
Views: 472
Size:  295.0 KB
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

Really great basing techniques!

The vignette is awesome. Love the groundwork. The display base for the frog guy is shaping up as well. Looking forward to your next steps.
    pax et bonum

added some base coat on that base, mix of black, white and brown.
    I am using cheap paint for this..however that’s very thick paint so have to add quite a bit of water to it to get it cover the recess made by the cutter.
    Name:  DEB70C16-1218-4153-92FA-1897B3A83123.jpeg
Views: 461
Size:  356.7 KB
    Last edited by giyomuSan; 06-20-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff

paint coat dry, so got to my next step adding some texture coat for the rocks and ground parts.
    my mix for the rocks is quite reddish but since i will apply some washes on top of that later I should be fine
    Name:  5684D4DB-1A30-44B2-BCE1-5B8854F111F2.jpeg
Views: 457
Size:  406.0 KB
    My gallery at Cmon :
    My Instagram stuff