Jim's WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim's WIP

Hi all. I'm still here just not had much time. I have started on some poxwalkers. Still lots to do but these are fun to paint

Name:  20190117_071253.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  681.2 KB

Name:  20190117_071241.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  633.6 KB

Any help on what.colour to do the trousers? I was thinking light blue like jeans..
    Name:  20190117_071251.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  662.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Frogjimjaff View Post
    Any help on what.colour to do the trousers? I was thinking light blue like jeans..
    Grab a color wheel, and check your colors. You have a dark yellowish and muted pinkish color there, pick one opposing the mix of these two. It will be maybe more in the turquoise range, but it depends on the hair/horn color, too.
    Try to create a equal sided triangle or a rectangle.

Could probably go darkish orange as well such as a burnt orange

Thanks.. will look up about colour wheels..

This looks a good link will read up

https://feltmagnet.com/drawing/Harmo...-Color-Schemes

or try this site: https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
    It allows you to select the triad or tetrad, split complementary, etc

Great thats amazing thanks! Will put up another pic when ive done some more work

Heres the colour i went with. Just a start for now still lots to do.

Name:  20190131_211338.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  803.8 KB

Im quite happy with tge weapons as first go at nmm. The handle needs to look like wood.

Any suggestions on how to improve or cc wud be great. The gold rings on the trousers need work as dont look that gold at mo

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 01-31-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Im trying to make a better wet pallette what do you use for the top layer? Greaseproof paper? Any brands better than others?

You can use just normal grease proof paper, I found the purpose made wet palette paper slightly better though.
    Ebay search etc for some. I can't think of the manufacturer at the moment !?
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks should I will take a look.. and have a quick look in hobbycraft tomorrow

Reynolds Parchment paper (or it might be called Baking paper depending on location), I tend to get the one with the marked lines as it is easier to cut a straight line with: https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Kitc...00C37QN2C?th=1
    But pretty much any will do. If you want to get actual purpose made paper then there is Masterson Sta-Wet, I think P3 makes a wet palette paper, there is a company called Red Grass Games that came out with a wet palette and they sell their version of the paper
    Last edited by ekipage; 02-01-2019 at 07:51 PM.

I got some cheap pallette paper from hobbcraft. Its ok but drys quick so pretty pointless lol.

I will look in lakeland for some proper parchment paper tomorrow.

I did a little bit more on this.
    Name:  20190202_215115.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  706.9 KB

And started this

Name:  20190202_215054.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  740.8 KB

Sorry another question... these minis will be uses for gaming should i put a varish on them when i finish them?

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Reynolds Parchment paper (or it might be called Baking paper depending on location), I tend to get the one with the marked lines as it is easier to cut a straight line with: https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Kitc...00C37QN2C?th=1
    But pretty much any will do. If you want to get actual purpose made paper then there is Masterson Sta-Wet, I think P3 makes a wet palette paper, there is a company called Red Grass Games that came out with a wet palette and they sell their version of the paper
    Cheers thank you

Name:  20190204_072214.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  334.7 KB

Did some more on this... anyone know why all my pics arw sideways on here?.....apart from the one i ask the question on it seems lol
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 02-04-2019 at 03:28 AM.

I would say yes, put a varnish on them. Since you will be handling them a lot and probably getting knocked around occasionally while playing the varnish will help protect your paint job. however, if you really don't care about the paint job then you can do without the varnish. If I remember right, gloss varnish actually protects them a little better, but if you don't want them all shinny just go over the gloss varnish with a coat of matte varnish.

And you are correct, I think all pictures turn out side ways until you ask and then they mysteriously appear right side up from there on out... Seriously though, I forget what the actual fix is, I know someone posted it a little while ago but can't remember in which thread it was.

Thanks any recommendations on varishes to use?

Newbie, please be gentle Nomis-was-me's Avatar

Default Apparently it doesn't make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    If I remember right, gloss varnish actually protects them a little better, but if you don't want them all shinny just go over the gloss varnish with a coat of matte varnish.
    I read that more research shown that it was a waste of time 'undercoating' the matt varnish with gloss and that your models would be just as well protected by the matt coat (Wish I could remember where I saw that).
    I guess the pro/con is the same in that extra coats equal more protection but increase the thickness of the varnish layer. Personally I would just apply an extra matt coat if I wanted the added protection- saves having another spray can knocking around.

Thanks a will grab a can..

Does anyone have any cc looking at my wip to help me improve my painting?