Jim's WIP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's WIP

Default Jim's WIP

Hi all.

Just started painting minis and thought it would be good to do a WIP here to help track if I'm getting any better.

Here's my 2nd and 3rd minis they are still very much wip

Name:  IMG_20180719_110343.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  403.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20180719_110402.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  363.6 KB

The second one I like the armour so far but have messed the face right up by not letting a coat dry and not sure how to fix it.

My main struggles at mo are working out where the light should hit and deciding what colours to use.

I have no idea what colours I should do the non chain part of chainsaw for instance.

Anyways hopefully I will get time to work on these some more next week

Jimmy

Welcome to the forums.

That is a nice start you got going there.

tee

Welcome to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogjimjaff View Post
    Hi all.
    The second one I like the armour so far but have messed the face right up by not letting a coat dry and not sure how to fix it.
    My main struggles at mo are working out where the light should hit and deciding what colours to use.
    I have no idea what colours I should do the non chain part of chainsaw for instance.
    you could simply restart from basecoat. If the paint so far is thin enough you won't obscure the details because of a 2nd try. Or you could simply reapply the shading/highlighting.

simple trick to see where the light should go: light if with a spotlight from the light direction and take a reference photo, so you can see how it was.
    As for colors: get the Figopedia 1. Has quite a lot useful color theory in it that helps understand and decide colors. (+ within a few days/weeks there will be a pdf available of it)

chainsword color: you could go for the same as the armor (blueish grey) or if you have red (icons, seals, whatever), then yellow (close to orange or even the good old VMC-OrangeBrown) / gold could work too.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks!

I think the face paint is too thick to restart will have to try thin layers to try fix it..

I will look up Figopedia as I have no idea what that is..

Good idea about shining a light then taking a pic.. didn't think of that!

Thanks for the colour ideas!

Welcome, some great work to kick off your thread too... looking forward to seeing your progress

Quote Originally Posted by Frogjimjaff View Post
    Thanks!

I think the face paint is too thick to restart will have to try thin layers to try fix it..

I will look up Figopedia as I have no idea what that is..

Good idea about shining a light then taking a pic.. didn't think of that!

Thanks for the colour ideas!
    Is the Head removeable? if so pop it off and drop it in some Dettol for an hour or so, scrub clean with an old toothbrush and your good to go again from the plastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dettol-Orig.../dp/B000NHAR94 - not sure what the US/local equivalent would be depending on your location

Na the head is part of the body.

It's ok. It's good way to learn by mistakes. Every time I look at him.i know to remember to let paint dry.

Thanks all. Even doing just these minis I've learnt. Made lots of mistakes and used paint to thick or too thin. But need to get them done. Need to paint paint paint to get better

from the pic it doesn't look that thick. I'd try re-basecoating it before doing anything radical.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Welcome to to CMON. I love the blending on the armor, spot on. idea for the chain sword if doing nmm, start with a dark grey and highlight up, or green for power weapon, you show great use of blending already.
    next question can you safely get around his neck with out destroying other detail? If so use a piece of sowing thread and move back and forth in direction of cut. It may take a bit but the thread will cut.
    I eat crayons!! Do you have any REDS? They taste the best!
    I probably would paint with them better.

Welcome
    It's always good to see new people in the forums. i fear the glory days of forums are over due to the dreaded FB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks ten ball ur WIP made me want to do one. Your stuff is amazing!

Thanks USMC.
    There's a lot messy on the first mini and blending not very good.
    I think the bad photo makes the blending on the 2nd mini look better than it is. it looks quite nice to the eye but not so under reading glasses.

Cheers for the head cutting off tip. Wudnt of thought of that.

The armour on both is supposed to be black but my hight lights are making it a bluey grey on the arm. Think it needs to be a smaller hight light but I already messed that arm up once so I'm going to leave it.

Trying to get time to paint around work and young kids is hard but it's great for chilling out.

Hopefully buy some more paints next month

I did some re painting of the face and it's much better thanks. God knows how u paint eyes they r far too small so I will just shade them

Face is a bit better now. Ta for the advice
    Name:  IMG_20180720_221358.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  441.7 KB

Need to learn to get phone camera to focus on the right bit
    Name:  IMG_20180721_101501.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  226.7 KB

Slow progress.. mainly cos my kids don't wanna sleep
    Name:  IMG_20180725_071629.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  334.0 KB

If those are your 2nd and 3rd minis you're 100% ahead of the game. Mine are lost to history, but they looked like they were painted with melted gummy bears.

Your highlighting looks super solid, and that's an ambitious start (wet blending? glazing?) even on the black, which is a deceptively hard color to work with.