Jim's WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim's WIP

Thanks I kinda blend the paint on the mini in a mad panic. Kinda wet blending. My 1st mini was a bike that I gave up on as the nmm I tried on the exhausts looked naff.

Painting black is kinda easier as u used a black primer which means the base coat isn't a mess. I think when I try another colour as base it will be more gummy bear

Thanks I kinda blend the paint on the mini in a mad panic. Kinda wet blending. My 1st mini was a bike that I gave up on as the nmm I tried on the exhausts looked naff.

Painting black is kinda easier as u used a black primer which means the base coat isn't a mess. I think when I try another colour as base it will be more gummy bear

Hi. I've not really had much time to paint and have done nothing to the deathwatch. But did spend a few hours on this. Still tons and tons to do. I wanna get some more blue into the mix it's gone a bit greyer than I wanted.
    Name:  IMG_20180806_185627116.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  344.9 KB
    Most the arms still have primer on.

I really must stop buying my nails!

Some more work on genestealer. Really regret bad prep work as I now see lots of mould lines

Name:  IMG_20180811_232104278.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  1.54 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180811_232049384.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  1.66 MB
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 08-11-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Looks good man, your style looks similar to what I go for with the slightly more muted tones. What colour you going to do the organic pipe areas? I kinda like the idea of yellow or orange with the grey

Thanks i had a look at ur gallery and your stuff looks great.

I haven't really thought bout the colours yet.. to my shame

Really regret bad prep work as I now see lots of mould lines
    Never too late to fix the mould lines.

How could I fix them without messing up the paint? The ones on the skills I thought of a way to cover them. But theres one of top of an arm that's very bad

Thanks

I used to cover the fixes with thin primer, then going ahead and repaint it, as one of the necessary skills is to fix the mistakes

The question is which one do you prefer: spending some more time to fix the errors, or keep on painting, and getting an unsatisfying result?

If you aim the display quality, you should not be afraid to fix every error. For TTQ it should not matter so much.

Thanks. If I had more time to paint then that sounds a good plan.
    I might attempt some osl on the genestealer as the only colour at the moment is the tongue, eyes and a bit of the head. The space marine helmet in his hand I will do red or orange I think.

I will have a think about how to make it a bit more interesting.

Some slight better pictures and started on the helmet as I was bored of blue,grey and white

Name:  IMG_20180823_212156779.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180823_212214967_HDR.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.44 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180823_212233066.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  1.66 MB

Any suggestions please go suggest

It's looking good mate, only thing I feel I should mention is the helmet is quite bright in contrast to the mini and kind of pulls the attention away a little, the mini needs a little more brightness in the spot colours to draw the attention back.

Thanks hopefully the claws will help when I do them.

I did a bit more on the space Marines but struggled on the details. Thinking I shd of done some of them before doing the armour.

I also started another space Marine which I think I will strip. Messed up the base coat. Doing the black Marines with black primer meant I didn't have to base coat those so when I tried a different colour armour my lack of skills showed. Tried to start highlighting before having a solid base coat down.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Tudor View Post
    It's looking good mate, only thing I feel I should mention is the helmet is quite bright in contrast to the mini and kind of pulls the attention away a little, the mini needs a little more brightness in the spot colours to draw the attention back.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was going to do a bright orange helmet and made it darker a bit. Hopefully the claws will take the focus away

Still working in the genestealer. It's taking hours and still lots to do but its looks quite good.

The deathwatch Marines look a bit rubbish now I've started on the small details. Maybe I should of done them first..

I started another space marine I quite like the head so far but the rest of it is going into dettol! The armour is bloody hard to paint the genestealer is so much easier.

My painting is pot luck at the min some bits go as I want and look ok and others total mess

The blurry rubbish pictures help it look better thou..

Name:  _20180906_214810.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  277.3 KB

Name:  _20180906_214832.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  107.5 KB
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 09-06-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Do u guys and gals think I need a bigger brush ? I use a size 1 w&n for everything. Would a bigger brush help on space marine armour?

Looks good dude, size 1 is what I usually use for space marine armour, any larger and I feel I lose control a little over the flow

Thanks. This is my 3rd Face and its miles better than the others much less gloopy. Not done eyes yet tbou even with reading glasses on they r too small for me.

Think I will do more practice on the armour before I strip it
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 09-09-2018 at 06:52 AM.