Jim's WIP - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jim's WIP

I haven't used it yet, but I have heard that Vallejo Ultra Matte (I think that is the name) is supposed to be one of the best. At least I have been hearing people say it is better that Testors Dullcote. Otherwise, Army painter makes a decent matte (called Anti-shine) - I have used this one and it is okay. Both the Vallejo and Army painter come in dropper bottles so you brush or spray them on.

Makes sense that regardless of which varnish it is they might protect the same.

Thanks eki.. do you have any tips to improve the paint jobs?

Name:  20190208_191810.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.67 MB

A different view..i was thinking this looked good but the more i look at it the messier it looks arghh
    Last edited by Frogjimjaff; 02-09-2019 at 03:26 AM.

It’s looking great man! I think just thinning your paints a bit more would really help smooth it out a bit more if you think it looks messy. I bought an ink set that helps me with tying colors together with a better transition. I’m still new too though and having the same issues

Quote Originally Posted by StephanW0lf View Post
    It’s looking great man! I think just thinning your paints a bit more would really help smooth it out a bit more if you think it looks messy. I bought an ink set that helps me with tying colors together with a better transition. I’m still new too though and having the same issues
    Thanks! Will thin some more.. i was trying to have more contrast on this model but I did it by uses bigger jumps in colour on shadows etc and didnt blend them so much. On the next model i will try the bigger jumps but try blending them more.

Hopefully when the rest of the primer is covered it will look les messy.

Thanks again!

I think you did a good job with the contrast personally. Love the color on the cloth and think it will help make the skin pop more the further you get along i. The model. The flesh color looks awesome too and i think you nailed it on color choices

Thanks poxwalkers are fun to paint. Can get away with a bit of a mess.. space marines are far less forgiving. I have a marine primed up to try do some super shiny armour. Watched lots of vids.. watching looks so much easier than doing lol

Haha yeah that’s my favorite part about anything rotting or gory. So much easier when it’s intended to be messy haha. I haven’t tried space marines yet. Wanted too for a long time, but yet to try. I find myself watching videos and trying to mimic what the video explains and my stuff enda up all jacked up lol. Time and practice seem to be the main ingredients that i’m still working on. What colors are you doing for your space marines?

Not sure what colour i will do my kill team but the practice model im going to do will be red.... i did do some deathwatch that i never finish and will prob strip.. do you have wip thread on here?

Oh nice. Red looks good on space marines in my opinion, good choice. I haven’t tried stripping models yet, but i’ve got a few that need it for sure lol. Yep, started one about a week ago. I just renamed it to StephanW0lf WIP, but might still be labeled “First Conversion.” Never posted on a forum before ao this is all new to me.

No real tips (I am not much more advanced then you are) If you can either watch videos or take some classes (although I don't know how many gaming conventions are up in Alaska). I think your pox walkers look good, maybe get some more light on there so the photo shows it a little better though