The mini masses - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The mini masses

The rusty blade looks quite realistic for old weathered metal. Good range of differently aged areas. Not just straight out brown or orange. Hard to tell if you have used them or not, but if you haven't, rust pigments look good built up over the rusted areas.
    Normally I find Sylvaneth really hard to look at and don't know if I'm looking at a head or leg due to the multi coloured busy party. The dark muted tones and similar coloured blossoms really changes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    This army looks extremely good!
    Hey thanks man! Always here to accept compliments alongside critique

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    The rusty blade looks quite realistic for old weathered metal. Good range of differently aged areas. Not just straight out brown or orange. Hard to tell if you have used them or not, but if you haven't, rust pigments look good built up over the rusted areas.
    Normally I find Sylvaneth really hard to look at and don't know if I'm looking at a head or leg due to the multi coloured busy party. The dark muted tones and similar coloured blossoms really changes that.
    Cheers dude! I've tried a quick and easy method of stippling brown and orange with the tiniest bit of metal coming through, fairly pleased with the result. As for the Sylvaneth i know exactly what you mean, they're really tricky to paint for the same reason.

Cheers Lone lemming, that was what I was going for!

Okay so I got a little sidetracked by a quick competition at the local warhammer store, nice and simple just paint up a Knight Incantor (the free one with the AOS starter booklet). I'm trying to tie it into my Sylvaneth as I have a few Stormcasts I'd like to field with them. Not too similar but same theme, I want to go for a slightly more brooding and muted scheme with pastel colours to make them pop a little. Follows is what I've got so far
    Name:  20180819_135500.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  659.2 KB
    Black undercoat and Pewter rub n buff
    Name:  20180819_141422.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  615.4 KB
    Followed by a coat of Tamiya smoke to but a base down for an airbrush of Druchii violet

Going to go pale cream cloak next, might even try for a little freehand. Yes I know the pics are on their side, too lazy to fix it!

A quick progress photo, tabard is coming along nicely, just need to decide whether I want the armpit tabards (ew) to be a different colour, thoughts?
    Name:  20180819_170439.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  578.8 KB

This is looking too nice, way too quick! Lol

Hey cheers man! I had an unexpected glut of painting time today so I'm doing as much as I can! Got the base coat down but I'm starting to get hung up on colour choices for the details so I've slowed right down. Beer number one hasn't helped . . .

Productive weekends are always good! :-)
    Not sure if beer might help to do a wise color choice or if you were slowing down because of it *lol*

Those dark armoured creatures come along great with intensive colours...
    As the first basic layer has some purple in it I'd recommend to go along with harmonizing colours
    a) more purple, b) getting into blue, c) getting into red

Way to go AJ seems fair to say you have painted up some extremely well painted minis of your own. Talk about inspiring ... the armies on parade sylvan are outstandingewuañly!!!!

Cheers for the input Graishak, I tried afew different routes but kept coming back to the plain cloth so I'm going for that. Took your advice on the touch of red though and stupidly tried some free hand for the shoulder pauldron, going for a red marble
    Just a test piece for now
    Name:  20180820_212353.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  1.49 MB
    Base colour I'm happy with I just need to get the white cracks a little more realistic, could do with being straighter I think, they look too much like lightning bolts at the moment.
    Cheers for the comment BaM, means a lot! The Sylvaneth I'm really pushing on with now even though I've not made the smallest plan for the board yet!

Okay came out a little better on the model, still not 100% sold so I might overpaint it at some point
    Name:  20180820_222812.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  1.59 MB

Well it started to be a chore painting all the metal on the Incantor so I did a quick tabletop quality jobby on a plague bell guy from dark imperium, you know when you get that urge to paint something a little messy?
    Name:  20180822_190309.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  1.75 MB

And back to the grind, got the flesh done, excuse the shine on his forehead, my painting lamp is a touch on the yellow side
    Name:  20180823_223556.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  1.78 MB

Nice start with the red. I like your freehand exercise on it.
    Looking forward to see more :-)

Cheers Graishak, I've added a couple more stipples and glazes and I'm considering a satin varnish to give it a little sheen. Either way I think I'm happywith the effect and I'm worried if I add much more I'll ruin it
    Name:  20180825_104057.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  1.54 MB

Decided to crack on (pun not intended) with the base while a glaze was drying, I want it to look like he's summoning/pulling dryads etc out the ground so started with a quick cork placemat base
    Name:  20180826_095822.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  1.85 MB

And finally getting close to completion! Base is done minus a dark brown coat on the rim and maybe some forest spirits from the treeman kit coming out the cracks
    Name:  20180826_231353.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.80 MB

Yeah man... cool concept for the base!!!