Monochrome Nighthaunt

Thread: Monochrome Nighthaunt

Default Monochrome Nighthaunt

So, Games Workshop's newly developed Nighthaunt range has intrigued me and inspired me to try a new challenge: painting monochrome ghosts.

To this end I picked up a Tomb Banshee model to try out the idea and see if I had the ability to make it work.

A few nights later (it is important to paint ghosts at night for reasons) and this is how I am getting on.

These photos are a little off colour due to the electric light, but I have used exclusively back white and grey paints from the GW range to try and create different textures in different areas. Note - the model is far from complete I am fully aware that her corset/breast plate and collar need painting and the outer layer of the skirt isn:'t finished yet. But I thought I would share with you all to see if I could pick up any tips for where I should be looking to go with this model and get some feedback on my current progress.

I've painted a few monochrome minis and I think you need bigger difference in the materials.
    Right now it's really hard to see the details of the mini.

What I mean is:
    - Arms + face a LOT lighter
    - Robes more to the middle grey
    - hair in this case can stay black/dark
    - armor... originally I'd say dark, but the way the robe/hair frame it it might work better if it is also light like the arm/face.
    - base if also hard... Best would be the middle-grey, but than it's too similar to the robes. As a ghost it might be good OR you'd need to choose between leaving it almost black (some fine edges) or go really light (like sand/limestone)

One of the cheats in mono minis is that you don't really cover more than 25% of an area with the highlights/shadows.
    For example on the Arm/Face I'd do an uniform light base (offwhite/white), then shade with the middle grey making sure I cover about 25% of less with that. Right now the fingers/inside of the arm is simply too dark for that area.
    Similarly for the robes. The back looks ok (altought a few light edges could improve it), but on the pic showing the front the base grey color is lost in the black shadows/light highlights.

edit:
    also some recommended resources:
    - Miniature Mentor - Monochrome Techniques from Jennifer Haley (worth the price, but also saw it on torrent a few years ago)
    - Game Forces Magazine 20
    - YouTube - Scale75 Channel - Black-White Paintset video (free)
    - I thought Figure Painter Magazine had one article too, but can't find if or in which one of the 48.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 08-02-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks for the advice, looking at it again the photo is really not doing the model justice I will try taking some more later in better light.

I'm actually planning to do the base in colour.

Pretty cool doing monochrome iv always like the idea of it but never tried it, something you dont normally see. Are you going to do more?

Can we get a photo under natural light? Even though ghosts should be in the dark by your logic

Here's a couple of shots in better light, I haven't made much progress since the original photos, but you can see more definition between the areas here.

Cheers for looking.

Yeah looks good man, you can see the definition far better. I'd echo Maxs comment here and have a bigger contrast for the different areas. Kudos for having a crack at a technique that can be hard to pull off!

AJ

What definitely doesn't come over from the photos is the gloss effect on the hair that I got by using the Bulb Oil Gloss from GW, which helps set it apart from the other areas.

I'll keep playing around with it.