The Miniature's Den WIPs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Miniature's Den WIPs

Default The Miniature's Den WIPs

Hey everyone, I always wanted to start a blog/wip thread and I think this is a good time to do it.

Recently I've been working on a large scale army made of 25 Avatar of War's Corrupters, 8 Blightkings, a Lord of Plagues, a Fatemaster and finally a 2001 metal miniature of a Nurgle champion. It's going to take me a while to paint so I started by making a test model of a corruptor, it's tabletop quality so it's not very worth showing it.
    But today I decided to make a test model for my BKs, which are going to be painted at a higher standard. The armor is going to be the standard nurgle color, but I want to make it NMM, while not making it very polished and possibly weathering after the paintjob is complete.

Do you think it looks NMM enough while still looking dirty?
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-08-14 at 18.21.05.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  108.7 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2018-08-14 at 18.21.09.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  90.1 KB

Hi and welcome! I totally approve and great to see papa nurgle’s love spreading!
    i can’t quite tell from the photos but looks suitable dirty. The nmm is looking great on the second photo. Nice contrast and the specular highlight looks ok to me.
    Mum sure someone with more skill will come along soon.

Hi and welcome to the sickness :-)
    The shading on the boot looks very nice. It's a kind of used look... in order to make it more "nurgle" worthy I'd recommend to do at the end some either rust or dirt effects to finalize.
    As you're at the beginning you can experiment a bit, whatever is your preference.
    Another idea could be to add a "slime" effect to the mini, i.e. making him look like a bigger nurgle demon was just sneezing on this poor guy ^^.

Welcome
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thank you all for your feedback! It's very usefull. I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to weather NMM. I wanted to put some rust effects on the armor to make it more nurgly, but I'm not sure how to do it as I've already used brown to shade the NMM and I'm afraid the brown of the rust glaze would just merge into the shadows making the NMM wonky and not rusty.

Got a bit sidetracked from my huge nurgle army, as I was asked to paint the space wolves for kill team and decided to do them first, as they're only 5. I worked on a boot to see if I like the look of the armor. What do you guys think?

It's just for a commission I hope I become good enough to paint something for the Golden Demon coming up this April here in Italy

Finished one of the armors. There's still some things to fix and some weathering to do, but I'll wait until after I've finished the model so I can get a better idea... Sorry if I'm posting videos and not photos, but my phone is very, very, terrible at taking photos

Nice smooth blending on the armour. Looks great so far

Thank you Fox!

I've been working on the NMM, finally moving away from the blue of the armor. Don't mind the shoulderpad tho, it's gonna get stripped soon...
    Name:  WhatsApp-Image-2018-08-28-at-23.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  181.9 KB

And they're finished! You can find them here http://www.coolminiornot.com/429776

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I'm trying to improved to be good enough to do some competitions!

After the last project I couldn't get back into doing my deathguard as I need a green spray for them or it would take my whole life to brush on the basecoat of the armor. In the meantime I've worked on my gold NMM, which is something I've never really done extensively, only on small skulls and other little details.
    I don't like how it turned out but I'm at a loss when it comes to understanding what's wrong with it. Hit me with your feedback!

Name:  photo_2018-09-05_00-46-50.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  240.9 KB

I don't like how it turned out but I'm at a loss when it comes to understanding what's wrong with it.
    I think that you feel the gold too bright.
    You can fix it by
    - paint ALL the mini, as the black priming makes all the other parts lighter, and next time apply some zenital white priming, too, so the colors will not pop out so much on the unfinished mini.
    - add some turquoise/blue as spot color, e.g. some bluish hue to the chain mail
    - highlight the red with some red+skintone mix, so the other parts will be brighter
    - glazing it over with the gold color, to mute down the lights, but first all the others
    In that order.

BTW I like it.

I think you are on the right track. Parts look spot on like the chest. Other areas look like they are a step away from being done like the axe. Overall the nmm looks pretty cool to me.

Thank you for the feedback. I just got back from a 5 days trip and I can't wait to get back to painting

I ended up speedpainting a squad of deathwatch for killteam! It took me 14 hours to complete them, there is an insane amount of things I'd like to fix and improve but they're supposed to be tabletop

Name:  DW7.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.30 MB

Here's the link to the album with all the photos, if you're intrested
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=a13e77b7e7

The deathwatch guys look great. I’d say knocking those 5 out in 14 hours is really impressive, really smooth and clean.