Abilities "Gregor (the Mountain) Clegane" & NCU "Lord Varys"

Thread: Abilities "Gregor (the Mountain) Clegane" & NCU "Lord Varys"

Default Abilities "Gregor (the Mountain) Clegane" & NCU "Lord Varys"

Gregor Clegane's ability says: If this unit makes a Melee Attack it causes an additional D3 wounds

What if the attack failed (e.g. all attack dice missed or blocked by defender)? Does this ability triggers anyway?
    Personally I think so because it does not mention a successful attack. Other opinions?

Lord Varys' ability: Little Birds

He may spend one of his order tokens to roll a die and on a result of D3+ he may choose one of two options. But at the end it says: This may be repeated if unsuccessful

What's the meaning of this? May he repeat the die roll until successful? So, why rolling it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Gregor Clegane's ability says: If this unit makes a Melee Attack it causes an additional D3 wounds

What if the attack failed (e.g. all attack dice missed or blocked by defender)? Does this ability triggers anyway?
    Personally I think so because it does not mention a successful attack. Other opinions?

Lord Varys' ability: Little Birds

He may spend one of his order tokens to roll a die and on a result of D3+ he may choose one of two options. But at the end it says: This may be repeated if unsuccessful

What's the meaning of this? May he repeat the die roll until successful? So, why rolling it at all?
    1) You get the D3 wounds in all above cases you list. As long as you make a melee attack, you add D3 wounds. Remember that melee attack does not fail, even if all hits are blocked. (E.g. there still is a Panic Test, it just is auto-success if no hits were made).

2) You repeat the whole thing, meaning it costs you again an order token. So you will run out of order tokens.

@Varys: He spends an order token for each reroll.

I'd agree with your interpretation of Gregor's card. Whether or not his attack generates any hits, or if those hits are then all blocked, he has still made the attack. So the additional wounds are inflicted.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

As to The Mountains ability. The D3 wounds can not be block, the are not hits that can be saved, they are wounds.

Many thanks for all your helpful hints, cheers