Can I attack? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I attack?

The designer ran that tourney. I was one of the judges. I believe that was the purpose of the 1st errata, to clarify that part. But was taken out of context by somevv
    Last edited by SeanApDaniel; 09-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I don't want to question your integrity, SeanApDaniel, but as Michael just wrote in the thread nearby:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-11 um 19.23.47.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  8.0 KB

I'm sorry, but if such a situation rises up (and it did, indeed, not just once in my games), I can't say: "Yes, the rules imply otherwise, but believe me, that this is to be handled as such and such. I know that, because a guy on the internet who said that he was a judge at Gen Com said so."

As said: You may be right and this would be absolutely fine with me, but at the moment the rules as written suggest otherwise. And the only people who could legally change or interpret it, are the designers. As Michael said.

No problem. Eventually it will fall into place. Until then the advice I gave is to the best of my knowledge and what I was told by Michael. Could I be wrong. Sure as words can be misunderstood.

@Mirawen - so you asked when does the movement end - so, what I understand from Michaels explanation - a charge actually contains 2 movement steps -> 1, the pivot, 2 the charge itself (note that none of them happen unless you 'can' charge). The pivot may not end illegally (over someones base). Once you are done pivotting, you may move on to the next movement step (the charge).
    So it seems to me the modification made in the rulebook regarding this, is not a change in the rules, but they just tried to be more clear on them (and that is why page 7 was not updated, it did not need to be).

Bal Undy,
    thanks for your post. I'm aware of the point that pivoting mustn't end in overlapping units. But my question wasn't about pivoting, at all. But about an issue that occurs in what you call your second step ("the charge"). This step itself consists out of two things: first the "move the attacker" and second the "align with enemy". This is, how it is worded in the rules:

Attachment 68725

And the issue is that in the example I presented (and in other's examples, as well), the first step of the thing you call "the charge" is called "move the attacker" in the rules and it would end with overlapping units! (Which is illegal to the rules about movement.) The overlap isn't removed before the end of the "align with enemy"-step. So you have a "move"-step which ends with overlapping units – which according to the normal rules concerning movement isn't allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bal Undy View Post
    @Mirawen - so you asked when does the movement end - so, what I understand from Michaels explanation - a charge actually contains 2 movement steps -> 1, the pivot, 2 the charge itself (note that none of them happen unless you 'can' charge). The pivot may not end illegally (over someones base). Once you are done pivotting, you may move on to the next movement step (the charge).
    So it seems to me the modification made in the rulebook regarding this, is not a change in the rules, but they just tried to be more clear on them (and that is why page 7 was not updated, it did not need to be).
    you got it!