Charge question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charge question

Read his full quote about this subject here:

""A unit may never end a move within 1" of an enemy unit unless that move would bring it into contact with the target of its charge".

That is the full quote of the rule, it makes no reference to specific enemy units at all- saying otherwise is extrapolating rules that don't exist. If the move itself brings you into contact with the target of the charge, it doesn't care at all who you are within 1" of.

Otherwise, you could almost never charge if two enemies were next to each other, and actually never charge an enemy between two others."

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedGod View Post
    Read his full quote about this subject here:

""A unit may never end a move within 1" of an enemy unit unless that move would bring it into contact with the target of its charge".

That is the full quote of the rule, it makes no reference to specific enemy units at all- saying otherwise is extrapolating rules that don't exist. If the move itself brings you into contact with the target of the charge, it doesn't care at all who you are within 1" of.

Otherwise, you could almost never charge if two enemies were next to each other, and actually never charge an enemy between two others."
    Yes but you can't have more then 2 units on 1 side of you. So the charge is legal, BUT how the picture is is illegal.
    To legalise this, he had to take a more left or right so only 2 touch him

Okay, we still disagree on this then. I also originally read that rule quote like that (and I thought that rule quote is clearly and explicitly allowing becoming engaged with multiple enemies, as long as you only resolve charge against one enemy), but the only direct answer to that question has been this one here in the forums: "(consequently) you cannot engage more than one enemy at once.""

It would seem that one more rule clarification in this subject is still required from official source, if you think that that answer from Neo [CMON] is not explicitly forbidding becoming engaged with more than one enemy at once.

You know what can actually fix this? Engagement tokens (for people who ever have played Battles of Westeros)
    Use 2 versions of them, 1 that has 100% on it and the other that has 50% on it (or make them double sided)
    Make them big enough that you can put it on both the bases of the units that are engaged. In this way, you know which ones are engaged and which ones have to declare a charge in order to engage them.
    Also, in case of the beserkers charging the mountain, you can then put an 100% token on them so the others can't charge unless they spend a turn (or maneuver zone) maneuvering so they are in the flanks. Or the mountain must attack and change it to 50%

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeP View Post
    You know what can actually fix this? Engagement tokens (for people who ever have played Battles of Westeros)
    Use 2 versions of them, 1 that has 100% on it and the other that has 50% on it (or make them double sided)
    Make them big enough that you can put it on both the bases of the units that are engaged. In this way, you know which ones are engaged and which ones have to declare a charge in order to engage them.
    Also, in case of the beserkers charging the mountain, you can then put an 100% token on them so the others can't charge unless they spend a turn (or maneuver zone) maneuvering so they are in the flanks. Or the mountain must attack and change it to 50%
    You're engaged if you are in contact. I'm not seeing a need for a token to tell me that we're touching, that should be pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeP View Post
    This mechanic (of being in contact but not engaged) is not mentioned at all in the asoiaf rule book, so this mechanic does not help here when asking about asoiaf rules, if playing with official rules.

You are responding on a thread that has 1 unit charging another unit but because of this he is in base contact with 3.

• Align with Enemy: When a unit makes a Successful Charge,the attacker will then align with the targeted enemy unit. Theattacker’s tray is placed so that it is either aligned center-tocenterwith the target’s tray or 50% aligned (as to allow anotherfriendly unit to later engage that enemy) on the target’s Line ofSight Arc previously determined.

So If the beserkers choose to engage 100% with the mountain, then no one else can engage them from the front.
    I hope this is clear?
    The only way to engage someone is if you charge them or be charged by them.
    This is the main reason why we got rid of the auto fail charge on the roll of a 1. Which is now disorderly

I do apologize, if center-to-center is the arrow, then indeed my first comment was wrong, and there is indeed no need for those tokens
    BUT
    you must remember that if the beserkers did choose to 50% the mountain, that the other unit still has to charge them even do they would automatically make it (so roll for disorderly)
    And also, because they are now 100% alligned with the mountain, the others can't charge or attack the beserkers

Heres what we know, and why I think the original post is legal.

You ignore the 1 inch rule when charging successfully

You can ONLY be engaged if you are the one charging OR are the target of a charge.

Thus, the other two units in the picture are NOT engaged, therefore not breaking any engagement rules.

Legal Charge.

I do have my own tokens when playing for situations like this. If the Berserkers aligned 50% it would be hard to tell.

Fronx, read the quote above from Michael, everything is him except the first line. He specifically calls out this situation...

I do have my own tokens when playing for situations like this. If the Berserkers aligned 50% it would be hard to tell.
    What i meant with not needing those tokens was for real game purposes, but for reminders they are handy

To formulate above spam into a form of a questions that can be officially answered:

1. Is there any way that a Charge action could bring more than two non-friendly Units in to a (non-corner) tray-to-tray contact with each other as a result?

2. Can an Unit have a tray-to-tray contact with enemy unit so those Units would not be engaged?
    (e.g. if corner touches enemy unit tray side, that is not an engagement? Any other way to be in touch without being engaged?)

3. If only way to Charge an enemy Unit would be to become into a (non-corner) tray-to-tray contact with another, non-target enemy along with the target enemy (as a part of the aligning move), is that Charge then illegal and cannot be done?

Heres what we know, and why I think the original post is legal.

You ignore the 1 inch rule when charging successfully

You can ONLY be engaged if you are the one charging OR are the target of a charge.

Thus, the other two units in the picture are NOT engaged, therefore not breaking any engagement rules.

Legal Charge.
    I agree. Legal charge.

All other units are considered UNENGAGED except for berserkers and the mountain. Even if they are touching.

to the original question, third paragraph
    "when a unit performs a charge action, it must declare a valid target for its charge, the following must apply"

The LoS Arc of the target unit must have space for the
    attacker’s tray to fit (see Determine Line of Sight Arc, below).
    Meaning that if there is another unit engaged center-to-center
    in the same LoS Arc, it is preventing the charge (see Align with
    Enemy, below). Note that this also means that a unit can never
    have more than 2 enemy units engaging it from the same side
    (Front/Flank/Rear).

by what i read is that the charge against the mountain is successful, but must shift over to engage only 2 units.

I think what's happened here (and in some of these other threads) is that we've identified some outlier situations that are not covered under the scope of normal rules or normal situations. These are EXCEPTIONS to the rules. And therefore, I suspect some or all of these threads will not be able to be explained by referring to the rules, because....well, the rules don't cover this. We will likely need to wait for Rulebook 2.0 to cover these things.