Can a charge alignment force the enemy to disengage from a unit it is attacking?

Thread: Can a charge alignment force the enemy to disengage from a unit it is attacking?

Default Can a charge alignment force the enemy to disengage from a unit it is attacking?

Name:  asoiaf alignment question.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  79.5 KB

Had this situation in a game recently. Unit 1 is charging unit 2, but cannot align at least 50%.

Rules states: "In rare cases, the attacker’s tray may not be able to be placed at either 50% or 100% aligned with the target’s tray. In this event, the defender’s tray will be moved to become either 50% or 100% aligned with the attacker’s. In the case where neither unit can be moved to contact at least 50%, they should be arranged as close to 50% as possible."

Does unit 2 have to move back, and disengage from unit 3, in order to align 50%?

Sorry that picture posted so large. If anyone has any tips on how to post a picture and make it smaller, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

In this specific scenario the final position of the units will be exactly as they are in the image.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wisniewski View Post
    Sorry that picture posted so large. If anyone has any tips on how to post a picture and make it smaller, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
    Just make it smaller?

We're house ruling that this is an illegal charge because you cannot get to 50%. So extra manoeuvring required before you can make the charge.

In game terms, there isn't enough room to bring the full unit's impact into the melee so you would look for a better angle. The actual rules overcome that by letting you do 100% of attacks anyway even when clipping at well below 50% contact.

This house rule just seems to make more sense and does not disadvantage either side, or effects both sides equally.

It also stops arguments about micro alignments and speeds up the game.
    Last edited by Lone Pathfinder; 09-14-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    ASOIAF TMG

The rule seems fine to me, but to each their own. We played it the way it is pictured above, and it worked out fine. I just wanted to make sure we were playing it correctly.