Canceling abilities.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canceling abilities.

Default Canceling abilities.

Right so Roose Bolton's calculated cruelty can cancel all the abilities.
    What does that mean exactly?

Does it mean that it canceled melee and ranged attacks?

Reasoning behind this.
    On page 10
    Orders and melee modifiers are both abilities
    And can be cancelled

Innate abilities are specifically specified that they cannot be cancelled.

Which brings me to the next point.
    If a unit doesn't have the ranged ability then it can't do ranged attacks.
    I would assume same goes for melee.
    Does that mean that when a units abilities get cancelled then that unit can't attack or charge?

If that's not the case , what about ranged abilities
    Ranged abilities specify if they are long range or short range.
    So if you cancel that then what?

Anyway just wanted to know what the ruling is .

Attacks are not Abilities, they are Attacks- same page you're quoting (10).

Attacks can have Abilities, however.

ABILITIES
    Units may have one or more Abilities. Each Ability is
    unique and lists its full rules. Sometimes, an Ability
    will have a symbol next to its box. This acts as a visual
    reminder for when the Ability is used. Some examples:

**ICON** MELEE/RANGED ATTACK: This shows that the Ability is tied to the unit’s melee/ranged attack.

See the example, again on Pg. 10:

"EXAMPLE: The Lannister Halberdier’s Halberd attack hasthe Sundering Ability. This Ability is always applied to their
    attack. A player could not voluntarily choose not to use it.
    Their Set for Charge Ability, however (which is used when
    they are Charged) says that it may be used in that situation,
    so it is optional."

Also, Page 17:

Checking Range
    • All Ranged Attacks list whether they are Short Range or
    Long Range. Short Range attacks have a maximum targeting
    range of 6”. Long Range attacks have a maximum targeting
    range of 12”.

As mentioned above, Short and Long Range are not Abilities- they are a designator of range for, well, the Ranged Attack.

And no, you cannot cancel/remove/etc etc either of those characteristics anymore than you could remove a unit's melee attack being a melee attack.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

I have a question regarding this and more specifically how cards like this interacts with the Watch captain? If you play it against a unit with a Watch captain does the opponent have to discard one of the vow cards attached to the unit? The unit loses the ability to have 2 attached vows so then it can only have 1 which means the opponent have to discard one? Am I correct? I guess it’s the active player who chose which card to discard?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxel View Post
    I have a question regarding this and more specifically how cards like this interacts with the Watch captain? If you play it against a unit with a Watch captain does the opponent have to discard one of the vow cards attached to the unit? The unit loses the ability to have 2 attached vows so then it can only have 1 which means the opponent have to discard one? Am I correct? I guess it’s the active player who chose which card to discard?
    Way I read the Abilities Vows would only check/discard when they actually Attach. That's the only "trigger" moment for the discard effect.

But answer could go either way on this one.

Also how about the free move abbility that horses and wolves get?
    is it cancelled with this card? The faqs tells the wounds is an innate abbility that cannot
    be cancelled. But it says nothing about the free move.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmanGamer View Post
    Also how about the free move abbility that horses and wolves get?
    is it cancelled with this card? The faqs tells the wounds is an innate abbility that cannot
    be cancelled. But it says nothing about the free move.
    Per the v1. 1 rulebook Innate Abilities, aka the ones with the heart symbol, cannot be canceled or removed, period- any part of them.

Oh yeah, the free move is part of the heart abbilities. Thank you!

When I loose all abilities on my great-axes. Does that mean I could use Executioner´s Fury when starting the turn unengaged (for charge-attacks)?

When I loose all abilities on my Bryndon Outrider Commander. Does that mean I could not deploy that other unit id Outriders that are off the table?

Another interesting case is for Free Folk Insignificant ability. If the unit is destroyed while all abilities are canceled for it, are they worth a victory point by then?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Another interesting case is for Free Folk Insignificant ability. If the unit is destroyed while all abilities are canceled for it, are they worth a victory point by then?
    Yes. No Insignificant Ability, nothing stopping it from being worth VP.
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Michael Shinall View Post
    Yes. No Insignificant Ability, nothing stopping it from being worth VP.
    Amazing, Roose's calculated cruelty can teach them a lesson they won't so soon forget

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Amazing, Roose's calculated cruelty can teach them a lesson they won't so soon forget
    Indeed.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  6.6 KB

I can just picture the “themeing” of this. Units under Roose’s Command destroying an enemy in such a way that, in death, they become significant... [shudder]
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

another quick question in line with this if an ncu looses abilities such as influence but the influence card is already on the table does the influence card automatically end?

Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    another quick question in line with this if an ncu looses abilities such as influence but the influence card is already on the table does the influence card automatically end?
    If they lose Abilities then they lose Abilities. I do not know of any effect, however, that can cause an NCU to lose Influence that's already been placed on a unit. All cancelling effects in that regard happen when they activate.

I'd agree. Otherwise, you're negating that ability retroactively, since Influence is already in play.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

That's my view too. Once the influence is on a unit, it has to stay there unless an effect specifically calls it off from the unit.

Im guessing you talk about using “intrigue and subterfuge” from the lannister deck of cards?
    the enemy NCU loses all abbilities. So the NCU card basically becomes a blank card until the end of the round.

You use the card when the enemy NCU activates, so cant even start to influence. But if you have a trick to cancel a ncus abbilities
    after it has influenced something, it still cancels all the text on the NCU card.

An example that came up in one of my games.

We were playing Dance of Dragons. Early in the round he played Cersei's No Confidence on one of my units. Mid round, one of my units claimed Objective C, where I get to target one NCU to lose all abilities. I chose Cersei.

Does my unit suddenly get their confidence back at that point in the round?