Scratchbuilt mixed-media Dreadnought

Thread: Scratchbuilt mixed-media Dreadnought

Default Scratchbuilt mixed-media Dreadnought

Some pics from my next project: a scratchbuilt dreadnought.
    I am using index card and cardboard to built the main body parts, again using a Patoroch template.
    Other stuff include plastic from cotton swabs, toothpicks, some vinyl tubing and green stuff / apoxie sculpt.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Stuck in painting limbo under a pile of unpainted minis

Looks good, nice work there

You are a mad man with these paper builds....an AWESOME Mad man.

Default Rivets & Surgery

Thanks ekipage, Krulebear!
    I kinda get a kick out of it, building these. Cheap fun...

Here is an update to the build, showing my sculpey rivets and some vinyl tubing on the lasguns.
    I need to get more features and textures onto the model, otherwise when painted it'll just be a box with tube legs.

The last pic show the next step: surgery!

For a scratch built model, that's looking pretty incredible!

Default Bulking phase

Quote Originally Posted by emperors_brush View Post
    For a scratch built model, that's looking pretty incredible!
    Thanks, I appreciate it!
    TBH it's looking pretty rough, but part of that is because I haven't glued the separate pieces together yet (they are held on by bluetack),
    and also the lines on the paper template may line up skew wrt the model build. Most of this will disappear of course when the model is finally put together.

Here are some more pics: In continuation of the previous post, I've started bulking out the inside of the body.
    So now the body is in two separate pieces, they fit together nicely though. All the little gaps & holes will be filled with greenstuff/apoxie.
    Also, still refining the feet, etc.

Cheers

Default Prime and mold

Primed the little guy gray, looks much better now.
    Then I took his legs, footpads and shin guards (?) and put them in a 2-part silicone caulk mold.

Have to wait until tomorrow to see how this cake came out

I CANNOT get over this!!! This is a marvel of a job!!! It looks like it’s right out of the gw box kit!!! I’m a painter ..i paint. When I see something like this it makes me feel-like you have a degree from MIT in engineering or something to pull this off. My hats off to you my friend.
    BaM

Thanks BaM
    No MIT degrees required, this is fairly basic, but it did take me a bit of trail and error to get this process to the point where I can do this.

On the flip side, I am a kindergarten-level painter, so I am trying to take ALL of the tips I can pick up from you guys on this forum.
    Everyone here is doing awesome work, it is very inspiring!

BTW I checked the cake this morning and it came out pretty well. In the next couple of days I should be able to pull a first resin cast from this.

Default Power fist

I extracted the lower body from the 2-part mold, it came out fairly well.
    But the pudding's in the proof; I'll only be able to check the quality of the mold after pulling a cast from it.
    There was a bit of damage to the legs, but nothing a bit of CA couldn't fix.

Started building a power fist. He's looking more complete now.

Nice project! I've always loved carboard modelling (throwback from years doing it for architectural models, before the days of decent 3D software)

Will be interested to see how the casts and final card model turn out.

very cool, i have seen stuff like this before on here years ago landraiders and such like. Epic
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Default First cast?

Thanks cassar, Hairster!

Well, I poured some resin into the mold last night, but it looks like I screwed up the entry and exit hole placements.
    You can see the silicone block at the top right of the first photo, I had to plug the bottom hole with some sticky tack, and keep it at an angle to not put too much pressure on the plug.
    The cast will most likely come out completely borked
    So I will probably end up re-doing the mold, but I'll see about the pull I get tonight.
    This is kinda like Schroedinger's cat. You never know whether the mold/cast worked until you crack it open - before then it is in this weird maybe working maybe not working state

* Note to my future self: have all the holes at the top.

It is a clear epoxy resin with a 12 hour cure time (all I had lying around, from surfboard repair), so it is not quite cured yet, still too soft to pull but thankfully not tacky.
    I colored the resin with a couple of drops of black ink, just so the details are more visible (the resin is clear, so hard to see details).
    I had some excess resin, so I poured it into the older single-part molds I had lying around from my Land Raider build, they come out easily and look great.
    You can see the skull icon in the second photo, it is about 3mm long.

looks..gloopy, dont think your on your own misplacing the pouring holes im onto my second plasma cannon mold, second plasma cannon powerpack mold and second heavy Bolter back pack mold (possiblly third if i cant work out how to keep the resin down the heavy end. just have to keep hammering at it, dont let it beat you...crush it under the heel of your domination, grind it to a pulp of submition.....*cough* to much? lol.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

​Awesome project. The dreadnought is looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    looks..gloopy, dont think your on your own misplacing the pouring holes im onto my second plasma cannon mold, second plasma cannon powerpack mold and second heavy Bolter back pack mold (possiblly third if i cant work out how to keep the resin down the heavy end. just have to keep hammering at it, dont let it beat you...crush it under the heel of your domination, grind it to a pulp of submition.....*cough* to much? lol.
    Ha! Thanks for the encouragement cassar. You are absolutely right though - there is no such thing as a perfect first mold, no matter how many Tested videos you watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Awesome project. The dreadnought is looking great.
    Thanks ST! We've been away for a couple of days, so I'll hopefully have some time to continue working on the little guy now.