Brands of Spray-on Matt Varnish - Problem with Glossy Finish

Thread: Brands of Spray-on Matt Varnish - Problem with Glossy Finish

Default Brands of Spray-on Matt Varnish - Problem with Glossy Finish

I've never tried varnish before but I have been painting Blood Rage models, and I wanted to protect the paint-job. I really wanted a matt finish rather than satin or gloss (which I might be more interested in if I was painting minis with lots of metallic armour). My local store stocks Army Painter so I used AP Spray Antishine but I'm disappointed that it has produced a glossy, wet look:

Before varnish:

Name:  pic4337563.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  1.69 MB

After varnish:

Name:  IMG_1248.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  495.9 KB

I made sure to follow advice: warmed the can to room temperature, sprayed in short bursts from 30cm away and not too much, let it dry in warm conditions, etc. I have even applied another two coats (leaving at least 12 hours between coats) but no change.

I am not sure if this is a result of the brand I am using (whether I should try Testors for instance) or if I am doing something wrong. Or is this inevitable with any varnish?

I would prefer to use spray on varnish rather than brush-on if possible, especially since I have based the minis using grass which is hard to brush on. I don't own an airbrush.

Any tips appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it shouldn't look like that. Especially with the AP-Antishine which is a pretty good matt varnish normally.
    I tried it on a few figures from a can from a friend, dulled down everything to a nice matt finish.

2 cause that I can think of:
    - you had no luck and got a bad can of it.
    - you didn't mention shaking it to death before spraying (I think this is a likely cause)
    (- I don't know, but the 2 extra coats didn't help either)

2 possible solutions:
    - spray again but with a good shaken up can (should help, only if you really didn't shake the can before applying the coats on the picture)
    - if you live in the US than you probably have access to "Testors Dullcoat". It should matt down everything to the level you'd want (I'd use this if the extra coat doesn't help OR if you had shaken the AP can before)
    Forgot, that it works again.

AK Interactive Ultra Matte

Paint it on or run it through your airbrush....either way it it the mattest varnish I've ever encountered.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/ultra-matte-varnish/

Cant recommend it enough

Stuck in painting limbo under a pile of unpainted minis

Other possibility is that the can was mislabeled by manufacturer and you really got a can of gloss varnish. I would say that if you follow MAXxxx's advice and try it one more time (after a good shake) it is either a bad can or was mislabeled.

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush (or the budget to get one) so I'll stick with sprays. I've contacted AP to see if they have any advice, and I'll maybe try a very light spray next time in case the problem is over-spray. Otherwise I guess I'll pick up some Testors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    AK Interactive Ultra Matte

Paint it on or run it through your airbrush....either way it it the mattest varnish I've ever encountered.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/ultra-matte-varnish/

Cant recommend it enough
    Just got a bottle through today and can confirm it is the most Matt varnish I've used.

One small issue is the coverage brushing it on, it seems to be patchy when it dries even after three coats. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Just got a bottle through today and can confirm it is the most Matt varnish I've used.

One small issue is the coverage brushing it on, it seems to be patchy when it dries even after three coats. Any ideas?
    Dry with a hairdryer, leave 24 hours at least between coats.
    ‘And It is the Dogs Bollocks!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

likes heat does varnish and let it cure for at least 24hours like dr said. I use stuff there that you mix and if the ratios wrong you can really screw the pooch on it. ( i now use a pippet to measure exact amounts, you can use weight scales too).
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive