Take the Black - various implications with Dire Wolves

Thread: Take the Black - various implications with Dire Wolves

Default Take the Black - various implications with Dire Wolves

CMON,

Asking to get an official answer.

If Bran, or Robb for that matter, Take the Black as per the Night's Watch Tactics card, is there any effect on the Dire Wolves? Do they also join the Night's Watch army?

Argument I've heard in favour is namely that it's thematic.

Argument I've heard against is that the rule only speaks of one model moving to an infantry unit.

Thank you,

The Dire Wolves are their own unit and are in no way mechanically tied to Robb/Bran.

There is absolutely nothing rules-wise that would suggest you also get them.

This is like trying to argue that if I Take the Black your Commander I auto-win because the rest of your units also turn.
    Last edited by Alliser Thorne; 11-01-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    The Dire Wolves are their own unit and are in no way mechanically tied to Robb/Bran.

There is absolutely nothing rules-wise that would suggest you also get them.

This is like trying to argue that if I Take the Black your Commander I auto-win because the rest of your units also turn.
    Both Wolves are zero point add ons that comes with their masters. Also Summer card states that it may charge the unit attacking Bran, which would change from NW to Stark if Bran takes the black. Not saying one way or another, just that there is enough conflict to ask CMON for a statement.
    ASOIAF TMG

Dire Wolves are purchased into an army just like anything else, only with an added restriction.

Again, there is absolutely nothing rules-wise tying them to another unit, period.

Once on the field, they are entirely independent, nothing that affects one affects the other, because there are zero rules saying they do.

In the case of Brian's Protector, your army no longer contains a Bran/Hodor to trigger the Ability. This is the same as trying to trigger it off of an opponent's Bran/Hodor in a mirror-match.

Fluff is not game rules. You only do what the cards tell you to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    Fluff is not game rules. You only do what the cards tell you to do, nothing more, nothing less.
    IMHO the game's rules must follow fluff, otherwise don't try to adopt someone else's story line. Create your own that matches the rules (eg GW).
    ASOIAF TMG

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Pathfinder View Post
    IMHO the game's rules must follow fluff, otherwise don't try to adopt someone else's story line. Create your own that matches the rules (eg GW).
    Sorry but this comment is just asanine.

You follow the game rules as they are written, you don't just make up whatever you want, and if you do, stop wasting time asking for "official answers" to those made up rules.

I'll post this once more and then I'm done here, there is no mechanical or rules related reason you would get anything else aside from Bran/Hodor with Take the Black. This isn't even an "open to interpretation of a rule" debate because you're literally making up rules that don't exist to justify this "view".

If I replaced Summer with a unit called "Paid Mercenary" and changed literally zero other text this wouldn't be a question. The only "justification" for this question's existence is you are trying to force a narrative/fluff justification into the actual rules, which is not how things work.

We’ve been asked to look at this thread.

Alliser Thorne you could be more tactful in your criticism.

But the thing to remember is:-

“IT’S A GAME, NOTHING MORE!”
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I would like to apologize for triggering Alliser... I kinda knew that was going to happen.

But at the same time. Would we be able to get an "official answer"... I'm a little more tactful than Alliser, but there are some people who only want an "official answer".

Quote Originally Posted by Yelraek View Post
    I would like to apologize for triggering Alliser... I kinda knew that was going to happen.

But at the same time. Would we be able to get an "official answer"... I'm a little more tactful than Alliser, but there are some people who only want an "official answer".
    When you present the rules as they are given, cite sources and examples, and someone doesn't accept them because they want an "official answer" then what is the point of anyone posting here at all?

Sorry, but just because you don't - like- how something works or it doesn't "thematically" make sense to you doesn't change that it's how the rules operate, and ignoring what is presented benefits no one.

As has been stated above, no, you do not get Summer/Grey Wind/Anyone else aside from what the card says you get (which is 1 Infantry Attachment).

The wolves are their own separate Combat Unit for all purposes. There are no rules on them that link/join/etc them to any other Combat Unit (as far as X happening to one or the other) at all.

They only involvement is a Army Building restriction that only allows them to be fielded if your army includes another unit (Robb, Bran). That rule only comes into any sort of importance during Army Building- nothing in its text has any baring once the actual game has begun, and anything extrapolated from that text other than the rules involving Army Building, as others have said above, is simply creating rules that do not exist. I cannot be any clearer than that.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft