Greatjon Umber Last stand with Umber Great axes

Thread: Greatjon Umber Last stand with Umber Great axes

Default Greatjon Umber Last stand with Umber Great axes

Now that we know that attachments still have their ability when using Last stand, I looked up all the possibilities.
    The Umber Champion works with 1 destroyed rank and with 2 destroyed ranks.
    However, looking at the App, the Umber Great axes wording on Executioners Fury is "... If this unit has only 1 remaining rank, this attack gains Critical Blow ..."

I Guess this will be changed for Last stand purposes so that you 100* without discussing it with your opponent you get this. But am I wrong that you have 0 ranks remaining if you use this ability?

By literal wording (which you should know by now is what I go by) then no, they would not get Critical Blow, because they do not have 1 remaining rank. Same logic as the Lash Out question, which was the unit does not have 1 or 2 destroyed ranks (but 3). Applying same logic to same answer here.

Whether this is intentional or not, can't say, but going by Rules as Written, that is how it (should) be resolved.

----------------------------------------

Side note, not directed at anyone specifically: I am always very hesitant to "assume" something doesn't work exactly as it says (aka "I think their INTENT was ____"). I do not believe this is a healthy mentality to take when looking at rules, unless its something SUPER weird/overly powerful/doesn't work.

In this specific case, the unit is rolling its highest value attack die and, because its a House Umber unit, automatically making the enemy Vulnerable as well without the need for any further combos/abilities. It very much may be that its specifically worded like this so they don't get Critical Blow on the attack (for balance purposes or whatever)- reading into "intent" is a two-way (actually, multi-way) street, and, again, really should be avoided when possible.

I understand, but because this is a House Umber unit, I thought that they would design these to synchronize with all the Greatjons tactics

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeP View Post
    I understand, but because this is a House Umber unit, I thought that they would design these to synchronize with all the Greatjons tactics
    Well I mean, it does in the fact it automatically makes the enemy Vulnerable, which yes, against Executioner's Fury is useless (since it ignores Defense Saves), but it also means you can use Mighty Cleave at it's full 8 dice and make use of Vulnerable, which I actually believe from a mathematical standpoint has higher damage potential in this case.

(Let's use a Defense 3+ enemy for an example)
    1. Executioner's Fury at 6 dice, hitting on 2+ = 5 wounds (Critical Blow would cause only +1 more Hits on average, Vulnerable is again, useless here).
    2. Mighty Cleave at 8, hitting on 3+ = 6 Hits. Factoring in Vulnerable token, averages out to 4 wounds, then factoring in Cleave effect = 6 wounds average.

If the enemy has a 4+ or worse defense, then Mighty Cleave's damage increases as well (rounding all 0.5 results, cause dice don't do halfses):
    4+ Defense: 7 wounds average
    5+ Defense: 7/8 wounds average
    6+ Defense: 9/10 wounds average

So against anything with Defense 4+, Mighty Cleave is the better option, Defense 3+ about the same, and Defense 2+ Executioner's Fury is the better one.