Ranged Attacks

Thread: Ranged Attacks

Default Ranged Attacks

Is it just me, or are the ranged units not really worth it given the really short distances in this game? It seems like they can't really target cavalry and will only ever get one shot off before getting engaged.

What are people's thoughts on this?

I think it all comes down to army build and the tatics of the player (not the Tatics Cards). Because I LOVE the Stark Bowmen. They have singlehanedly won me multiple battles. To the point where they have become the primary target of the guy I typically play against. Which of course just means I hit them with something else instead. IF they can even reach them behind the Sworn Shields they usually hide behind.

Lets remember that you can premeasure in ASOIAF, so you can guarantee that you are 12" from an enemy. With a typical speed of 5" this means you are guaranteed to get two rounds of shooting against most infantry, with a unit like Berserkers only having a chance of succeeding their charge on the subsequent turn. Bearing in mind that cards and NCUs can of course change everything, but that's how I see it.

Against cavalry it seems like you might be attempting to beat a rock with a pair of scissors. Without a screening unit, the likelihood of you getting off more than one volley against your opponent is completely reliant on your opponent deciding to not charge you. You can intercept him or at least convince him to look for other targets to charge rather than just face down oncoming cavalry with archers.

Don't place them in a position where they can be charged by cavalry unsupported, have a unit off to the flank to charge cab in the flank, or place behind terrain to protect them.
    PS I love playing against Stark bowmen, I just give them Lannister guards to shoot at, Cersei them and let them kill themselves